College food?

Options
Gimmie some ideas of what to eat in college thats:

- HEALTHY
- TASTEY
- CHEAP

I have a fully equipped kitchen, so I can cook; ergo, recipes are welcome.

Thank you!! :]

Replies

• ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    - oatmeal, eggs, vegetables and fruit, whole wheat pasta (a dollar a box at wal-mart), minute rice, cereal, greek yogurt (a dollar a container at wal-mart, not too bad pricing IMO), all-natural applesauce (no fillers), peanut butter, bread.
    i am in college too and that is what i live on! look through my diary for some ideas! i am in the same boat as you! i do not eat healthy all days, but I try the majority of times.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Stir fry using chicken breasts or thighs and a frozen stir fry veggie mix. Cheap and easy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    tacos
    various chicken recipes
    tilapia
    pasta
    tuna
    homemade soups
    pancakes
    eggs
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :D:D:D
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Gimmie some ideas of what to eat in college thats:

- HEALTHY
    - TASTEY
    - CHEAP

When I was in college I was always broke, so I could only have 2 of those requirements you listed at one time.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Bump! also in college.

Almonds
    Granola/protein bars for school snacks.
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts/ground turkey/other meat in bulk (freeze it)
    Frozen/canned veggies (less trips to the grocery store, plus I've heard frozen veggies can be healthier because they are frozen before they lose nutrients)
    Frozen fruit and fat-free yogurt for smoothies.
    Hard boiled eggs - I make a buch at a time and keep them for a quick snack

Also, if you have some time in the morning, crock pots are amazing! (and inexpensive). You can make a big, healthy meal that will be ready when you get home from school, and if you're only feeding yourself, you'll have meals for a few days.
  • its_B
    its_B Posts: 491
    Options
    One of my favs is stuffed tomatoes! Super easy, you only have to make one for yourself, and comes out to be under 200 calories.

all you need is a nice sized tomato (preferably somewhat under ripe, so its a bit firm), some ricotta cheese and various herbs or spices (season to taste) n I put a tiny amount of olive oil inside the tomato.

Cut the top of the tomato off like a pumpkin, scoop out the seeds and etc, out of the center with a spoon. Place extras in a bowl. lightly line the inside of the tomato with less than a teaspoon of olive oil. Add 1/2 a cup of ricotta cheese, (less or more depending on taste and calorie limit). Add spices/herbs (example: Basil, Thyme, Italian mixes, etc). Place in Toaster Oven, or Regular oven at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Tomato should be slightly squishy.

I also love Lean Cuisine meals when they are on sale, Cucumber salads, and Brown rice Chicken. I usually love frozen blueberries for desert, and avoid heavy meals with a lot of bread.

Hope that helps! I know it can be difficult on a college student price range, but It is certainly fun to try out new things! I totally get it, I too am a full time student, and I work full time.
  • 1021mike
    Options
    I start pretty much every day w/3 eggs and a can of kroger brand premium chicken breast in water. That meal has 300 calories and is loaded with protein.

Bags of frozen chicken breasts. Use them for dinner. Use them for lunch. Cut it up, put it in 3 cups of salad and put a few tbs of lite ranch on it for less than 400 calories.

Invest in a george forman. Quick to cook, saves dishes, and does drain some extra fat off of things.

Eggs are cheap. We buy 2.5 dozen a week. A bag of chicken breast is like $8. A 3 pack of canned chicken is $3 and each can has 20g of protein.

When I'm bulking, I'll add almonds and peanut butter to my diet. A good snack I'll use in general is a banana cut up in a bowl with some blueberries. I use this a lot for pre-workout meal.

I spend about $40/week on groceries, eat about 5 meals/day at home, and it's all healthy. I'm in college. I know what it's like to chose between which bill to pay.
  • kitkatkait
    kitkatkait Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • como5324
    Options
    I know what you mean, I've been a college student for about 3 years experimenting with what major do I like and what I'm good at after spending 2 years doing generals. I've finally picked the right major for the last time while having a part time job and looking for a full time job to get my life together, no more messing around. Some suggestions for breakfast depending on when your day starts have a granola or a nutrition bar and a bottle of water, for lunch I would say chicken, a healthy sandwich, bean and cheese burrito, or some kind of meat, then dinner a lean cuisine and frozen veggies, or top romen and a lot of water. That was pretty much my diet when I was living in fresno and going to school full time, working full time, and part time on weekends. My grocery bill almost every month or so was about 40 dollars, It takes some driving to a few stores but it's work saving the extra 30 dollars or so for the best deals in town. oh, and I forgot the farmsmarkets, lots of fruits and veggies for less.
  • LongLiveJen
    LongLiveJen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    omelettes in a mug, here is one example

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/lisa-lillien/denver-omelette-in-a-mug-recipe/index.html

using mushrooms and spinach is a good combo too. Usually I just add whatever leftover veggies I have around to mine.