Who else loves Kettlebells???

I don’t know what it is....well I guess I do actually it’s just fun. The ease of grabbing a KB and swinging it in one exercise than goin right into a goblet squat or a one arm press is just so satisfying and the burn is just an added bonus. I can go on and on feel free to post your favorite KB workout and any tips and tricks you’ve learned. Have a great workout 👊🏼

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    🙋🏿‍♀️ Currently running another round of this workout...

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout

... for March. I did it for the first time last October with a 25 lb KB. Now, I'm "dropsetting" 50/50 with a 40 lb KB. So, this morning was 250 swings with each KB.

My progression schedule for the month should have me using just the 40 lb KB for the last 2000 swings 😉
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Kettlebells started my love affair with fitness. I love them. Swings, farmer carries and bottoms up exercises are my favourites. I quite like cleans, too - took me ages and a load of bruises to master them.
  • the_stained_ape
    the_stained_ape Posts: 35 Member
    Avid Kettle bell fan here!

Snatches, swings, windmills, high pull, Turkish get up, love them all.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    I have over 300 lbs of kettlebells, it's my only strength training equipment. I don't need a lot of space and the types of moves are limitless.

I do wonder, however, if I will be able to build as much muscle/strength with them as I did previously with heavy barbell workouts a few years ago. In a few months when I've removed this layer of fat I'll start to find out.
  • FitAgainBy55
    My full body workout is the following exercises -- most of them paired in super sets:
    • Turkish get up
    • Push ups
    • Goblet jump squat press
    • Bridge press
    • Russian twist
    • One arm snatch from a squat
    • Curl
    • Tricep (skull crusher type but standing up)
    • Deadlift
    • Front raise
    • One arm press
    • Halo
    • Pullover in lying position
  • Brewtuz
    Brewtuz Posts: 49 Member
    I have over 300 lbs of kettlebells, it's my only strength training equipment. I don't need a lot of space and the types of moves are limitless.

I do wonder, however, if I will be able to build as much muscle/strength with them as I did previously with heavy barbell workouts a few years ago. In a few months when I've removed this layer of fat I'll start to find out.

That’s awesome I’m trying to build up my gym with more of them I currently only have a 26lb & 50lb one. I would like another 26lb one and some more heavier ones to add to the collection
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Don’t discount some of the lower weights too! I find that I curl half (maybe even less) as much with a kettlebell as I do with a dumbbell. The act of keeping the bell out straight adds a completely different dimension to my arm exercises.
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    edited March 2021
    I love kettlebells. They’re fun and the moves are different. I mix up the different moves in a tabata style workout. I also like Jillian Michael’s Shred It with Weights. I feel like I’m getting a good total body workout with kettlebells.

I prefer the one arm swings to the two arm swings. I think because having to switch arms between swings keeps me engaged. My least favorite move is the Woodchopper. I honestly think it’s because I dislike the move so much that I’m more focused on getting through it than my form. I also dislike the figure 8. I just can’t get it. I’m sure I’m not doing it right, so I feel like I’m not getting much out of it.

My favorite is the Turkish get up. It’s so hard but so good!
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    I'm intrigued by kettlebells and everyone's high praises here have me wanting to get started as soon as my current strength training program concludes next week!

I was looking at the kettlebells online, and the cheapest one from Walmart is an all iron cast one, while the vinyl coated start about $20 more. Is it better to invest in the vinyl coated one? Am I okay to start with just one kettlebell, or should I purchase a pair like I do with dumbbells? I've swung my 20lb dumbbell like a kettlebell in one of my workouts. Would it be worth it to go up to 25lb, just to add to the variety of my other dumbbell weights (I only have 10, 20 and 35lbs).
  • FitAgainBy55
    msapplek wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by kettlebells and everyone's high praises here have me wanting to get started as soon as my current strength training program concludes next week!

I was looking at the kettlebells online, and the cheapest one from Walmart is an all iron cast one, while the vinyl coated start about $20 more. Is it better to invest in the vinyl coated one? Am I okay to start with just one kettlebell, or should I purchase a pair like I do with dumbbells? I've swung my 20lb dumbbell like a kettlebell in one of my workouts. Would it be worth it to go up to 25lb, just to add to the variety of my other dumbbell weights (I only have 10, 20 and 35lbs).

Almost all of the kettlebell moves can be performed with a single kettlebell. You are better off spending money on different sizes than buying pairs. There is some added value (more stabilization required, higher calorie burn per minute) in doing some of the moves with pairs but it's more advanced.

Some of mine are vinyl coated, some aren't. As far as I know (others may have more info) it is cosmetic.

I'm male and not a newbie to strength training (although I've been out of it for several years) and I started out using mostly my 20, 30 and 40 lb. My wife has never really done much training and she mostly uses the 10 and 15 lb. The set she uses are also bigger profile than mine for the same weight which she prefers because she needs to put both hands on them for some moves. Her 15lb kettlebell is the same size as my 40 lb.

Here are some samples for the ones I've purchased:
    5, 10 and 15 lb set for my wife: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073XB2W4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

35 lber: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0731FCS7T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    *snip*

Some of mine are vinyl coated, some aren't. As far as I know (others may have more info) it is cosmetic.
    *more snip*

^^ This part. Also, my first thought was, "If you hit yourself in the knees or drop it on your toes, it's gonna hurt whether it's iron cast or vinyl coated"

My first KB was 25 lb. I don't have a pair yet but if I was to consider it along the line, I'd get a "pood pair" (where each KB is approx 36 lb).

However, I've read that 18 lb is good to start for ladies. Whereas for men it's quite a bit heavier. But, like, do you! Especially since you have heavier DBs. Just be sure to use proper form so as not to blow your back out lol
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    edited March 2021

I prefer the vinyl because they come in different colors 😊. Maybe it’s the brand ( I think it may have been a cheap one from Walmart) but I purchased an all iron cast one and found that the handle was rough, not sanded down, which irritated my hand a bit. But I bought weight gloves and problem solved. Other than that, I like both the iron casts and vinyl bells.

I don’t see the need to purchase pairs when you’re just starting out.
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    @FitAgainBy55 @MaltedTea @JintheSouth - Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

I follow one YouTube fitness person (Caroline Girvan- she's fantastic!), and she has some kettlebell workouts on her channel that I'm going to try. But happy to hear any workouts you've found online (or otherwise) that you highly recommend.

Finally, how do ya'll fit your kettlebell workouts with your other exercise or training? Is it a session on top of a current strength session? Or is it on a separate day? The appeal of kettlebell to me is that it feels like cardio plus strength training. If I do it on a separate day from one of my strength training, would it be overkill in terms of exercise?
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,254 Member
    I’ve always loved this workout but I’m not sure about her kettlebell swings form - looks more like a squat than a hip hinge, but you and others who are more knowledgeable could chime in.

https://youtu.be/6pDMOIlPLFE

I also love her kettlebell abs workouts. I prefer the standing because they’re easier on my lower back, but she has more.

https://youtu.be/N6OiTjUszAY
  • FitAgainBy55
    @FitAgainBy55 @MaltedTea @JintheSouth - Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!
    Finally, how do ya'll fit your kettlebell workouts with your other exercise or training? Is it a session on top of a current strength session? Or is it on a separate day? The appeal of kettlebell to me is that it feels like cardio plus strength training. If I do it on a separate day from one of my strength training, would it be overkill in terms of exercise?

Right now it is my only strength training. If I had a bench and squat rack I would probably just choose one or the other for my full body workout that day (or week). Many of the moves are compound moves so it might not be advisable to do kettlebells one day and your strength training the next -- but it really depends on the lifts/moves.

I alternate kettlebells with my running schedule. 3 to 4 days per week kettlebells, 3 to 4 days per week running.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    I really like KB's but I've dropped off this year , did some yesterday for first time
    Starting mid Nov. and every day December I did 700+ one arm swings a day with 15kg/33lb
    I was using it as cardio 22 swings on the minute and then finishing 100+ none stop
    Going heavier was hard - 200+ 15kg swings none stop vs 70 with a 20kg
    They showed up some major imbalances tho' which will never be right
  • I bought some kettlebells, they arrived today 😀. Looking forward to my first workout
  • NannMC
    NannMC Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2021
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    I’ve always loved this workout but I’m not sure about her kettlebell swings form - looks more like a squat than a hip hinge, but you and others who are more knowledgeable could chime in.

You're correct. It's the thrust of the hips that propels the kettlebell forward. The video below could have been made in the same training center by the trainers who taught me. It took weeks of drills to learn.

Everything said in this video is spot on and important. The start position, hike, hinge (not squat), then the forceful thrust of the KB forward with the power of the hips, and finally letting gravity bring the KB back to the hips, for another forceful thrust. I probably don't explain it perfectly, but that's why we are able to link to videos that do!

https://menshealth.com/fitness/a28439541/kettlebell-swing-form/