thick thighs versus saddlebags

So... this came up as a general debate today. There was no malice behind it, it as just opinion. I mentioned it to a few friends that I had been seeing a personal trainer. While I have definitely accomplished some re-comp, my overall shape hasn’t changed. As ou can see from the picture below, my thighs are not thin. there was a debate between people on whether or not these are thick thighs or whether or not they’re saddlebags. I believe saddlebags has a negative connotation but I understand the concept behind the saying. I’m not looking for anyone’s comments and how I look, I’m comfortable with myself, I’m just curious what you think of when you look at a person with the shape. 43m2sipi7egu.jpeg

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    To me saddlebags are over your hips and thighs are a completely different body part.

You could have thin thighs and have saddlebags, or fat, or muscular thighs and have saddlebags - or not!
    Surely it's just a description related to how saddlebags thrown over a horse or a motorbike make the profile look wider?
    I don't see it as negative term per se, just descriptive.
    Then again I personally regard thin as a negative term but many other people don't. Language is like that.....

I recall seeing a dexa scan of an athletic woman with low body fat who still had noticable fat deposits on her hips (saddlebag shaped), clearly they were her personal last place to lose fat from. Shapes and proportions of pelvic bones also vary massively, if you have wide hips they can accentuated by relatively small amounts of fat, and vice verse.

"I’m just curious what you think of when you look at a person with the shape." - Nothing particular springs to mind, it's not an unusual shape.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Thanks all!! I just reread my post (I should’ve carefully done that before posting) and noticed all my horrible grammatical errors. I could’ve also articulated myself better. To be be clear, I’m happy with my shape although I’d still like to lose about 15 or 20 pounds. The debate I was having with friends was very innocuous and nobody was saying I looked bad. Even if they had been insinuating that, I’m relatively happy with how I look. I was probably the one who said “I can’t get rid of these saddlebags.” I’ve always had this shape and I doubt that will change with continued weight loss. I guess it just got me thinking about the way we view our bodies. On the other hand, maybe we all need to keep our thoughts on others bodies to ourselves. 😅
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited March 2021
    I think I understand what you mean... I would perhaps qualify it. Is the shape you are referring to a result of muscle or fat. Lots of powerful people have thick legs. Saddlebags sounds a bit like weight you are carry around. It is impossible to tell from your pic which is which so no judgment from me. Just a thought.

I would say if you're doing lower body work and you have strong legs or you are recompositioning then I would not call your shape saddlebags.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    You know, I used to have thighs that were a similar shape (and you look GREAT by the way), and assumed I was just shaped like that, because for most of my adult life my highest weight was around 180 and my lowest was 150 and although smaller, the shape was the same at 150 which I thought was my lowest.

A couple years ago I got down to 130 and maintained there for a couple of years, and then last year I went down even further and now hover between 120-125, and I have to say I have pretty much lost the "saddle bags" or whatever they are, and as I described in a different thread, this range feels much more natural for my smaller frame (I'm 5'4" and 48 years old FWIW). My legs are fairly lean and strong. However, they still are dimpled in the back and I think that is just my body and what they look like. This is all to say I thought my body was just shaped that way but it turns out it wasn't.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    I'm familiar with the term "saddlebags" and agree it has a negative connotation, but don't have a visual for it. Your thighs aren't thin, but I'm not sure I would call them thick either.

I showed this picture to my partner. He thinks you have nice legs and said if you showed them to 100 random men and women, the women would be more likely to be critical due to overly thin women they see in the media and want to emulate.

As I write this, the women on this thread aren't being critical.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited March 2021
    So... this came up as a general debate today. There was no malice behind it, it as just opinion. I mentioned it to a few friends that I had been seeing a personal trainer. While I have definitely accomplished some re-comp, my overall shape hasn’t changed. As ou can see from the picture below, my thighs are not thin. there was a debate between people on whether or not these are thick thighs or whether or not they’re saddlebags. I believe saddlebags has a negative connotation but I understand the concept behind the saying. I’m not looking for anyone’s comments and how I look, I’m comfortable with myself, I’m just curious what you think of when you look at a person with the shape. 43m2sipi7egu.jpeg

What I think of when I look at a person with the shape is- tbh, literally nothing. I guess I don’t assess the persons shape when I look at them unless it’s either extreme one way or another to where I notice. Are you asking if we think you have saddlebags?

Btw glad you’re comfortable with your shape! It’s refreshing to read that.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Ddsb11 wrote: »

What I think of when I look at a person with the shape is- tbh, literally nothing. I guess I don’t assess the persons shape when I look at them unless it’s either extreme one way or another to where I notice. Are you asking if we think you have saddlebags?

For lack of better words, I suppose yes...I’m wondering if they look “saddle bag-ish.” I’ve been working hard on recomping, but my “ thick thighs“ really never go away. I AM comfortable with my shape, it was just a conversation I had with girlfriends and I did a very poor job of articulating myself in my original post. I should’ve have asked “what you think when you see this shape.” I’m blaming the few glasses of wine. 😅
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the term "saddlebags" and agree it has a negative connotation, but don't have a visual for it. Your thighs aren't thin, but I'm not sure I would call them thick either.

I showed this picture to my partner. He thinks you have nice legs and said if you showed them to 100 random men and women, the women would be more likely to be critical due to overly thin women they see in the media and want to emulate.

As I write this, the women on this thread aren't being critical.

Agreed that women CAN be more critical but also agree women on this site are very encouraging. I wish I could alter the original post to more clearly say what I was thinking. Either way thank you for your comment and tell your partner thank you as well.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    You know, I used to have thighs that were a similar shape (and you look GREAT by the way), and assumed I was just shaped like that, because for most of my adult life my highest weight was around 180 and my lowest was 150 and although smaller, the shape was the same at 150 which I thought was my lowest.

A couple years ago I got down to 130 and maintained there for a couple of years, and then last year I went down even further and now hover between 120-125, and I have to say I have pretty much lost the "saddle bags" or whatever they are, and as I described in a different thread, this range feels much more natural for my smaller frame (I'm 5'4" and 48 years old FWIW). My legs are fairly lean and strong. However, they still are dimpled in the back and I think that is just my body and what they look like. This is all to say I thought my body was just shaped that way but it turns out it wasn't.

You are probably right. I assume this is my natural body shape and I’m likely wrong. I definitely have weight to lose and I’m not arguing that. I have been about 10-15 thinner, and my thighs were less pronounced. I’m working on getting stronger/leaner this time around so I’m hopeful to see the results you spoke about.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    (...reads text compassionately, then scrolls down. Legit initial reaction...)

👀

🗣️ "Aye! Aye! Mami! Get it!"

There were also finger gunshots in the air lol

I'm apt to agree with @dylanwesterhoff6527 cuz I dunno what one would call it but you carry yourself well.

And crass objectification aside (both positive and negative), if you like what you've got going on then - boom - that's it!

This made me laugh, thank you. And I guess I’ll take crass objectification. 😂
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited March 2021

For lack of better words, I suppose yes...I’m wondering if they look “saddle bag-ish.” I’ve been working hard on recomping, but my “ thick thighs“ really never go away. I AM comfortable with my shape, it was just a conversation I had with girlfriends and I did a very poor job of articulating myself in my original post. I should’ve have asked “what you think when you see this shape.” I’m blaming the few glasses of wine. 😅

Thanks for clarifying, I just didn’t want to state something you didn’t ask my opinion on 😊

Okay so I had to google images and the consensus from the images are yes. I don’t think you have much left though. I’ll use this picture as an example, she didn’t look bad before but it shows how it has minimized quite a bit, so it can be done. My tough spots are the back of my thighs (hamstrings) and small glutes. A pretty strict diet and heavy weights are the only thing that have been successful for that area for me, but if I slip into old ways it comes back fast.

7pvx8egicc8b.png
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I have both thick thighs and a tendency to carry weight in the "saddlebag" area, so I know what you are talking about. I will always have thick (I now prefer to call them muscular) thighs, and I carry a lot of my fat in the upper thighs/glute/hip/lower ab area. I have managed to significantly shrink my saddlebags (not completely), but it took YEARS of focused glute training and of course losing overall body fat through diet and strength training.

For those of us who carry weight there, we can also be weak there...which means risk for low back/hip problems. Since I've focused on strengthening my glutes, that along with physical therapy has really helped my low back.
  • SisterSueGetsFit

Thanks for clarifying, I just didn’t want to state something you didn’t ask my opinion on 😊

Okay so I had to google images and the consensus from the images are yes. I don’t think you have much left though. I’ll use this picture as an example, she didn’t look bad before but it shows how it has minimized quite a bit, so it can be done. My tough spots are the back of my thighs (hamstrings) and small glutes. A pretty strict diet and heavy weights are the only thing that have been successful for that area for me, but if I slip into old ways it comes back fast.

7pvx8egicc8b.png

Yup, this is what I was poorly asking. I’ll continue to lift the heavy things. 😊 Thank you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    IME, it's pretty easy (but also kind of difficult 🤣) to tell whether a particular body area is primarily fat, or primarily muscle.

If it can be tightened/firmed by particular movements, it's muscle; if not, and it stays equally mobile/compressible no matter what, it's fat. (That's the easy part.)

Figuring out what the right movements are, to firm/tense particular muscle groups, is the hard part . . . and depending on one's own ability to consciously control particular muscles, may be nearly impossible. (I can't move each of my toes individually and independently, but I know that the muscles and neural circuitry exist for that, so I'm sure I could learn. Same thing, a little bit true for other areas.)

If it's fat, continuing weight loss will eventually reduce it. Whether one would have to get below a good body weight to reduce a particular fat area to a desired extent . . . that's going to be pretty individual.

I'm going to leave the topic of what's a good body weight alone (I think that's a very personal decision, and the only other person who *may* get an opinion is our doctor who knows us well from a health perspective).

I do dislike very much that we seem to have many, many bits of terminology whose only function is to criticize our own or others' body shapes, or praise others we've been enculturated to find aspirational: Bingo wings, hip dips, saddlebags, chicken wings, thunder thighs, thigh gap, pooch, Toblerone tunnel, pancake butt . . . ugh.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I'm glad you're happy with yourself. I carry my weight much like you do. When I put on extra pounds, it's much more pronounced in my "saddlebag" area. When I take weight off, I look like you. I haven't explored really working on getting it all off (like the comparison photo posted) because I am sure that would take way more work and discipline than I have at this point in my life. I just looked in the mirror this morning in my workout leggings and thought, "Dang! I look great!" :lol: Keep going at it if you will feel more comfortable, but you're right, you have reason to be happy with what you've got. Strong legs, girl!!