1200-1400 calories a day but not losing

Options
Hi! I posted this in the food and nutrition but didn't realize that this section is for diet too. So,

I weigh around 106.5kg and my height is 174cm.
I am following the tried and tested Exante diet meal replacement of 3-4 200kcal products a day with a meal at the end of the day. I am currently working out too, not cardio, mainly lifting. But I've hit a stump, for the last 3 days progress has declined massively and I'm starting to gain, I weigh myself everyday at the same time, I eat between 2-6pm no later than 6:30pm. I thought maybe it's just muscle mass as I've only recently just started seeing changes in strength. But I have these scales that tell me my BFP and fat mass, muscle mass has increased by about 0.5lbs but fat has also jumped higher which I don't understand. I occasionally have a protein shake just after my workouts (100kcal) all in all I don't go above 1400kcal a day but I'm GAINING weight and according to my scales fat too! I'm at a loss. Any help?

Replies

• callumrayb
    callumrayb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Just going to repeat what I said in your other thread ;) (PS I wouldn't recommended posting multiple threads about the same question)

Some things you need to understand:
    - weight loss is not linear, ups and down are normal.
    - 3 days is nothing, way too short to show you anything reliable. 4 weeks is a minimum to determine your true weight trend.
    - those scales are not reliable and can give different values just from different levels of hydration

I'd like to add that your calorie intake is low, too low IMHO. I'm 'only' a 5ft5 woman and I lost weight eating between 1700-2000 calories. Generally speaking 1500 is the minmum used here on MFP for males, to ensure adequate nutrition. And being over 100kg, even that sounds too low to me. Losing weight too fast carries health risks, it's better to slow it down.

Yeah I'll use this thread, sorry I didn't realize this one was for diets too. If I could delete the old one I would 🤫
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    callumrayb wrote: »
    Just going to repeat what I said in your other thread ;) (PS I wouldn't recommended posting multiple threads about the same question)

- 3 days is nothing, way too short to show you anything reliable. 4 weeks is a minimum to determine your true weight trend.
    - those scales are not reliable and can give different values just from different levels of hydration

I'd like to add that your calorie intake is low, too low IMHO. I'm 'only' a 5ft5 woman and I lost weight eating between 1700-2000 calories. Generally speaking 1500 is the minmum used here on MFP for males, to ensure adequate nutrition. And being over 100kg, even that sounds too low to me. Losing weight too fast carries health risks, it's better to slow it down.

Yeah I'll use this thread, sorry I didn't realize this one was for diets too. If I could delete the old one I would 🤫

The moderators can delete for you.

Click
    Flag/Report/This is my post and I want to delete it.
  • callumrayb
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

The moderators can delete for you.

Click
    Flag/Report/This is my post and I want to delete it.

Thank you!
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You will definitely have jumps and dips. Stay the course, focus on the good things that have changed, and you’ll start losing again.

1400 calories is far too low though. You might risk crashing your body’s metabolism. If you try to fight against that, you’ll have a hard time winning. Your body is designed to survive in low intake situations. Don’t be afraid to refuel after a hard workout. Maybe consider adding another small meal to your day. This is not a sprint. You are going to want to adopt a healthy, sustainable diet that you can live with for a long time.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    t7nznteaieif.jpg

evp3s5gppbdj.jpg

hsnty9sppne9.jpg
  • callumrayb
    Options
    For anyone who wants to see my chart here ya go! I definitely know that weight yoyos and goes up down, sideways and every other possible axis! But mine has stayed the same and gone up which is unusual for my circumstances.2x2zu61hj9by.jpg
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My weight will stay the same and even go up when I'm eating at a deficit, often for 3 weeks at a time before I see a consistent drop. If you know you're logging correctly have faith that the scale will show the change eventually. 3 days is nothing at all to worry about.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, 3 days is not a meaningful sample set. Your overall weight graph is going down over a period of multiple weeks and that's all that matters. If you are going to weigh daily you'll need to understand that this happens to everyone.

As for your body fat measurement scale readings, these readings also are heavily impacted by water weight. You can't infer anything from those readings on a day to day basis.

Your calorie intake seems fairly low, but your rate of weight loss seems to be about 1.5lbs per week (if I'm reading your graph correctly) which given your total weight is actually a reasonable rate.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I can “lose fat” according to my scales by weighing myself before and after a bath 🤣. They measure impedance of body fluids etc to estimate and for some reason being hotter after the bath always results in a lower fat reading. So does greater hydration. My scales say I have more fat first thing in the morning when I’m naturally dehydrated compared to evening when I’m hydrated. They are useful for trends over time but it genuinely does not mean you’ve put fat on in a day.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    For anyone who wants to see my chart here ya go! I definitely know that weight yoyos and goes up down, sideways and every other possible axis! But mine has stayed the same and gone up which is unusual for my circumstances.2x2zu61hj9by.jpg

Where’s the unusual part?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are your muscles sore from the 2x a day deadlifts? (That I do not recommend!)

Sore muscles = water retention, which will show as a gain on the scale. It’s not fat gain, so no reason to sweat it.
  • callumrayb
    Options
    Are your muscles sore from the 2x a day deadlifts? (That I do not recommend!)

Sore muscles = water retention, which will show as a gain on the scale. It’s not fat gain, so no reason to sweat it.

Could make sense. Thanks everyone! I'll up my caloric intake. I don't lift 2x a day now just 5x4 a day max.
  • callumrayb
    Options
    Just a small update, still maintaining/gaining I'm now 107.5kg
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just a small update, still maintaining/gaining I'm now 107.5kg

You do know that 107.5kg is less than 107.7kg, right :smile: You are not gaining.

You are still measuring progress in days which given water weight fluctuations is fairly meaningless.

Here's what happened to me a week or so ago:
    szntrxbxov2t.png

Over a week with no loss, even a 2 lb gain ? Do you know what I did to fix it ? Nothing. I kept doing the same thing I had been doing. This is all very normal.

This is what happened next:
    arc6jlfwanmt.png