hummus and sauerkraut wrap/soft taco

Options
Sorry, no pix, as my first response to food is to eat it, not photograph it. :)

Anyway, that pretty much was all there was to it. Warm a couple of small corn tortillas, spread spicy hummus on them, and top with a little well-drained sauerkraut. I don't know if I've invented something new, but it was really tasty (IMO, anyway).

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I’ll be making hummus in a few days and will try this! Thanks.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options

You're welcome. Traditional hummus (chickpea and tahini), or are you doing something different? I've gotten lazy in recent years when it comes to homemade hummus, and just smash things with a manual potato masher or a fork. Not as smooth, but so much less work.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I love hummus and spinach with kimchi, and hummus and avocado with pickled onions, but haven't tried it hummus with sauerkraut. Will have to give it a go!
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    I love hummus and spinach with kimchi, and hummus and avocado with pickled onions, but haven't tried it hummus with sauerkraut. Will have to give it a go!

It was actually the popularity of kimchi as a topping for everything lately that I've been seeing in food journalism (recipes, restaurant reviews, etc.) that made me think of this when I wanted something to add another flavor to the hummus wrap.
  • MaggieGirl135
    Options

You're welcome. Traditional hummus (chickpea and tahini), or are you doing something different? I've gotten lazy in recent years when it comes to homemade hummus, and just smash things with a manual potato masher or a fork. Not as smooth, but so much less work.

A traditional recipe. First time I bought tahini. Hope I like it because I have no idea how else to use up the tahini!

• lynn_glenmont
    Options

A traditional recipe. First time I bought tahini. Hope I like it because I have no idea how else to use up the tahini!

It's probably an acquired taste, but I use it in pretty much the same way I use peanut butter: on toast, in a tahini and banana sandwich, in a spicy sauce for Chinese noodle dishes ... also, one of my indulgent snacks is a spoonful of Nutella and a spoonful of tahini. I've seen recipes for, but have yet to try, brownies with tahini (IIRC, the tahini is a ribbon through the brownies, not mixed into the batter).

You can also use tahini in ... argh, the word for the dish is buried in my brain. The main component is roasted or grilled or broiled eggplant/aubergine, to the point that it tastes smoky (smokiness very important for best flavor, IMO). Plus tahini and garlic, and maybe lemon juice, I think. It's been a long time since I made it, but I think that's pretty much it. Just mash it up and enjoy.

Ah. Google is a good substitute for a fully functioning brain. :smile: It's called baba ghanoush, and from the couple of versions of recipes I looked at, the above description is pretty complete. Plus salt and pepper, and one version called for red pepper flakes.
  • MaggieGirl135
    Options
    I came across the word, polpette, and looked it up. I found a recipe for an eggplant version of it and maybe I’ll add tahini in some of them when I make them in the next couple days. Thanks!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no pix, as my first response to food is to eat it, not photograph it. :)

Anyway, that pretty much was all there was to it. Warm a couple of small corn tortillas, spread spicy hummus on them, and top with a little well-drained sauerkraut. I don't know if I've invented something new, but it was really tasty (IMO, anyway).

I never thought about hummus and sauerkraut 🤔
    But it combines 2 foods I really enjoy! Will try this out. 😉 I also have a jar of kimchi that I have not used yet...
  • MaggieGirl135
    Options
    Ok, a report on my culinary adventures...I made the hummus and homemade is sooo much better than store bought. Today, I made the hummus-kraut filled tortillas. We used small diameter tortillas, puffy flour ones for me and thin corn ones for my husband (he has to avoid gluten). I thought mine were fantastic! I really liked the combination. We eat Bavarian sauerkraut (Kuner’s brand, notes ‘mild’ on the label). It is a touch less sour than regular sauerkraut. My husband thought it was good, but refused to rate it with superlative terms. Like most (all?) corn tortillas, they were falling apart and no doubt, a factor in his rating. We topped them with chopped scallions, which I think added to it, flavor and texture-wise.

I also made the eggplant polpettes and they were well-liked. I forgot to add a bit of the tahini in it, but am confident that it would work well.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • OliveSalt
    OliveSalt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love sauerkraut... Always looking for more ways to eat it
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I can’t eat hummus anymore but when I did my go to wrap was hummus, baby spinach and sundried tomatoes. The best.