anyone else using video games to work out?

I've always struggled with finding motivation to go to the gym or even pull up workouts on youtube, but I've always loved to dance, so I recently started playing Just Dance 2020 for my cardio, and I've been loving it so far! It doesn't feel like I'm having to force myself to be active, and I feel like I'm burning a lot of calories and having a good time doing it.

I told a colleague about it, though, and they seemed to kind of just laugh it off as if it weren't a real workout, so I was just curious if anyone else incorporates video games like this into their fitness routine?

If you don't, is there a particular reason? If you do, do you have any other suggestions?

Replies

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    edited March 2021
    I used to love Dance Dance Revolution, had 3 of the games for PS2. Haven’t had the dance mats in years, sadly. But nowadays sometimes I run in place while watching Dying Light virtual run videos on YouTube on my tv, and that’s a video game; does that count? Hehe.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,447 Member
    I think whether or not it provides a good workout will depend on what your current fitness level is, and what your fitness goals are. I mean, if your heart rate is getting up then how is it less of a workout than, say, walking, or doing a Zumba class? I say if you can make fitness fun, then go for it!
    I often play Beat Saber on my Oculus Quest, my heart gets pumping and I can feel it in my arms, for sure. It's a workout to me, and because it's fun I feel more motivated to do it and to keep going for longer. But it's not the only type of workout I do, either, I ride my stationary bike, I walk, I do yoga, I do pilates & resistance workouts. Variety is good for me :smile:
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    ashmherrin wrote: »
    I told a colleague about it, though, and they seemed to kind of just laugh it off as if it weren't a real workout, so I was just curious if anyone else incorporates video games like this into their fitness routine?

If you don't, is there a particular reason? If you do, do you have any other suggestions?

Ignore your colleague. It is a real workout, but it depends on how much effort you put into it. If you're just sort of mildly swaying around, then no, it's not a workout, but, yeah if you're moving your entire body at a good pace, it'll burn calories.

I do FitVR on the Oculus Quest which is a boxing "game". It's kinda like Beat Saber, but for me it's a little more intense and purposeful. I'm trying to decide right now between Holofit and VZfit for cycling. I may not commit to either one and just use youtube for indoor cycling but we'll see. It's starting to warm up so I may not be staying indoors for long.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    There is an exercise competition every Feb-March at my work where teams try to get the largest number of minutes of exercise per week. One of them is focusing on Dance Dance Revolution. I think it's a great idea, if you like dancing! This is an engineering company, so I was interested to find that some people create their own compatible dance platforms to get closer to the feel of the arcade game.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2021
    I do occasionally with my kids...it's fun, and good exercise. I would, however, be in the camp of it not specifically being a "workout". There's nothing wrong with that either. Any deliberate choice to go out and be active and move is exercise...but I don't consider all exercise to actually be a "workout." Most of what I do, I don't really consider to be a "workout"...I just enjoy being out and active. We are meant to be active and moving and all of that exercise (moving) provides for great health benefits, both physically and mentally.

I hit the weight room a couple times per week...which I consider to be a "workout" and I'm currently running a structured cycling program that has me doing 2x per week structured "workouts" on the bike...otherwise, I enjoy just going out and riding...sometimes road and sometimes trail on my hardtail...not really "workouts", but good and fun exercise. I walk pretty much daily...good exercise and it's also my mental "meditation" time...but not really a "workout". I enjoy a good hike in the mountains for a few hours on a nice spring, summer, or fall morning...picking up some kayaks this weekend and looking forward to spending some time kayaking around the Rio Grande with the family this summer and maybe a few trips to the lake...good exercise and lots of fun...but not really a "workout"

It may seem a bit sematic, but for myself, a "workout" is something that is structured and designed with particular protocols to achieve some end...generally performance related. Most of what I do is for fun and recreation...but a "workout" isn't always particularly fun...it's work...and it is work that is designed for me to improve on whatever particular element of my physical fitness I am working on. I personally keep "workouts" to a relative minimum...they definitely have their place in what I do, and do provide some structure...but I do not want so much structure as to be forgoing other opportunities to just be out and active and enjoying myself or to be getting out of bed loathing some "workout" I have scheduled.

For myself, being active in life is my primary objective these days...I've long since divorced the notion of doing things just 'cuz calories...at this point I think of that more as a nice bi-product, but not the immediate purpose. Being active keeps me in good health...being active is a lot of fun...and there are so many ways to just be active, whether that's playing a video game with my kids or jumping on the trampoline with them or playing in the pool or going for walks or hikes or hitting the trails on my hardtail...just a whole lot of fun to be had while also getting regular exercise and treating your body right.

ETA: Some people...a lot of people tend to think that everything has to be some kind of sufferfest "workout" for you to be fit and healthy...the whole "go hard or go home" mentality. Outside of very specific and often advanced fitness and/or aesthetic goals, this isn't remotely true. I've had comments in the past like, "I could never get where you are"..."you must workout all the time"...not really...I'm just an active person and choose to actively participate in life. If I have the choice between Netflix and a nice hike on a Saturday afternoon, nine times out of ten I'm taking the hike. Plenty of time for the boobtube later in the evening when we're settling down.
  • milkywaymfp
    milkywaymfp Posts: 18 Member
    I love dance games!! I wish I still had my DDR setup, but just dance 2019 is pretty motivating :)
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I enjoy Just Dance on the Switch...it's fun, challenging, and I can do it in my living room without shoes. It isn't designed exactly for working out, which is both a benefit and drawback. Benefit: it's honestly fun, more focused on fun than heart rate. Drawback: unless you go out of your way to make a workout list, you may not get a real cardio or strength workout or one that fits your exact goals.

I also do Ring Fit which is much more directly fitness focused. It's...OK. The exercises are based around calisthenics and running in place. The game makes it more fun, but it's still a lot of squats and so on. The video game isn't very sophisticated as a video game, but the graphics and gameplay still makes a 30 minute workout better than just a workout video.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I have both Ring Fit Adventure and Just Dance 2020 for my Switch and use one or the other most days.

I do find with both, it helps to keep dancing or jog in place or otherwise keep moving while it switches over. Some songs are more energetic than others, but my husband is much more fit than I and he can get a good workout, as well. Mostly, he does the jumps and hops, while I keep at least one foot on the floor at all times.

I have a bad back, so I have also done Just Dance as chair aerobics on a bad day. Obviously, it isn't as good of a workout, but it is better than nothing and since you hold the controller in your hand, you can score pretty well.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,447 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I do occasionally with my kids...it's fun, and good exercise. I would, however, be in the camp of it not specifically being a "workout". There's nothing wrong with that either. Any deliberate choice to go out and be active and move is exercise...but I don't consider all exercise to actually be a "workout." Most of what I do, I don't really consider to be a "workout"...I just enjoy being out and active. We are meant to be active and moving and all of that exercise (moving) provides for great health benefits, both physically and mentally.

I hit the weight room a couple times per week...which I consider to be a "workout" and I'm currently running a structured cycling program that has me doing 2x per week structured "workouts" on the bike...otherwise, I enjoy just going out and riding...sometimes road and sometimes trail on my hardtail...not really "workouts", but good and fun exercise. I walk pretty much daily...good exercise and it's also my mental "meditation" time...but not really a "workout". I enjoy a good hike in the mountains for a few hours on a nice spring, summer, or fall morning...picking up some kayaks this weekend and looking forward to spending some time kayaking around the Rio Grande with the family this summer and maybe a few trips to the lake...good exercise and lots of fun...but not really a "workout"

It may seem a bit sematic, but for myself, a "workout" is something that is structured and designed with particular protocols to achieve some end...generally performance related. Most of what I do is for fun and recreation...but a "workout" isn't always particularly fun...it's work...and it is work that is designed for me to improve on whatever particular element of my physical fitness I am working on. I personally keep "workouts" to a relative minimum...they definitely have their place in what I do, and do provide some structure...but I do not want so much structure as to be forgoing other opportunities to just be out and active and enjoying myself or to be getting out of bed loathing some "workout" I have scheduled.

For myself, being active in life is my primary objective these days...I've long since divorced the notion of doing things just 'cuz calories...at this point I think of that more as a nice bi-product, but not the immediate purpose. Being active keeps me in good health...being active is a lot of fun...and there are so many ways to just be active, whether that's playing a video game with my kids or jumping on the trampoline with them or playing in the pool or going for walks or hikes or hitting the trails on my hardtail...just a whole lot of fun to be had while also getting regular exercise and treating your body right.

ETA: Some people...a lot of people tend to think that everything has to be some kind of sufferfest "workout" for you to be fit and healthy...the whole "go hard or go home" mentality. Outside of very specific and often advanced fitness and/or aesthetic goals, this isn't remotely true. I've had comments in the past like, "I could never get where you are"..."you must workout all the time"...not really...I'm just an active person and choose to actively participate in life. If I have the choice between Netflix and a nice hike on a Saturday afternoon, nine times out of ten I'm taking the hike. Plenty of time for the boobtube later in the evening when we're settling down.

I tend to disagree. It may be semantics but what you've described as a "workout" I would describe as "training" - like, training for a marathon, training to lift a certain weight etc. which, as you say, has some end goal. A "workout", to me, is any exercise you do above your normal daily activity (I don't count walking from the carpark to the office, but I would count going for a walk around the neighbourhood, for instance). So playing a video game that gets you moving, gets your heart rate up, burns calories, I would count as a "workout" for someone like me who doesn't, say, dance for a living.
    Besides, one could argue that the video game is designed with protocols to achieve some performance-related goal, in the form of a scoreboard...
  • Brewtuz
    Brewtuz Posts: 49 Member
    That’s awesome having fun while working out is a great way to help keep you on track and going back for more so you keep doing what makes you happy and keeps you feeling great. Also not sure if you have a VR set such as a PlayStation VR but beat saber is also a lot of fun and you can dance while playing. Good luck on reaching your goals 👍🏼
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member

I tend to disagree. It may be semantics but what you've described as a "workout" I would describe as "training" - like, training for a marathon, training to lift a certain weight etc. which, as you say, has some end goal. A "workout", to me, is any exercise you do above your normal daily activity (I don't count walking from the carpark to the office, but I would count going for a walk around the neighbourhood, for instance). So playing a video game that gets you moving, gets your heart rate up, burns calories, I would count as a "workout" for someone like me who doesn't, say, dance for a living.
    Besides, one could argue that the video game is designed with protocols to achieve some performance-related goal, in the form of a scoreboard...

Also, it all adds up. If you're playing Just Dance rather than Mario Kart, you're burning more calories.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited March 2021
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Also, it all adds up. If you're playing Just Dance rather than Mario Kart, you're burning more calories.

If you have a desk job, small movements really add up. I have found that I can now sit at my desk for hours without moving if I'm not proactive about it. I include, as an activity, going outside and sweeping the patio. An hour of DDR would really really count!

(Yes, I also swim, ride, run, rollerblade, SUP, kayak, hike, mow the lawn, you name it.)
  • ohrscarlet1
    ohrscarlet1 Posts: 3 Member
    I do Zumba on the Wii. Its a great workout. There are 3 levels easy, medium and hard. I do the medium level and I burn between 600-700 calories. It's fun and you know you are getting a good workout.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Heck yeah Just Dance counts, your coworker was being a *kitten*hole.

I have Ring Fit Adventure on the Switch and I like it a lot. I agree that it's not the most sophisticated example of a video game, but it's fun and it gets my heart rate up.
  • tbduarte1
    tbduarte1 Posts: 84 Member
    had a xbox 360 with connect and on days we couldnt get outside we would play kinect sports or the adventure games. Beach Volleyball was the best and made us sweat more than our hiking would have.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2021

Like I said...maybe semantics. I don't consider walking for example to be a "workout" at all...it's not the least bit challenging...it's great low impact exercise and fantastic for recovery though. I do my bike workouts, which are very structured because I'm trying to improve my FTP to just be a better rider...not training for anything at all in particular (those days are over pretty much)...just want to be better on the bike, and that means I have to put more work in (workout) than just going for a nice ride on a Saturday afternoon. So I stand by my playing a boxing or tennis video game with my kids not being a "workout"...but it's great exercise and a lot of fun.

By the by...everything you do burns calories...not just exercise or a "workout"...I don't think you can define "workout" by, "it burns calories"...everything you do burns calories.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

Actually, long before the Wii was even a gleam in some Nintendo developer’s eye, I was getting a lot of exercise playing the old 8-bit Nintendo. Learned early that it was easier to stand, could keep hand and arm more relaxed that way. Also used a stationary bicycle and a stepper sometimes. I routinely do walk in place moves while playing games on the iPhone these days but sometimes one of my old handhelds surfaces. I prefer the sidestep movement for playing games and reading, was never much for marching.

Games like Mario Kart would be great for getting such exercise. I would do a Simpson’s game in the old Nintendo that had a lot of skateboarding scenes, and the stepper was great for that. You just can’t help yourself trying to match the action on the screen. I would probably fall off the stepper nowadays!

• jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    A while back I saw a YouTube review of a game on an old version of Wii using the balance board that made me wonder if getting a used one would help me improve my balance. My balance has always been terrible - I tilt when tired (a friend watching me says I walk like a drunk st sometimes.... veering off the path in the snow and occasionally veering in the other direction to avoid a tree) and have had close calls for many decades, but let’s just say it hasn’t improved with age. I do better if I get more steps, though, and diligently do a few minutes of yoga warmup stretches every day.

Has anyone had experience with particular Wii or other video games that might be good for improving balance?
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I think the most important thing is getting up and being active, while it being something tolerable (if not enjoyable). It sounds like you're getting that with the video games and if other people turn up their noses up at it, that's their problem, not yours.

I honestly used to be one of those people and like someone else said, I do mentally differentiate between a "workout" and moving/ being active. I used to think walking wasn't a "real" workout. While it still doesn't get my heart rate up as high as my actual "workouts," I think it's important for so many other reasons to get outside and walk when I can.

Ad much as I try to get my kids outside a d playing, I've resigned to the fact that them along games on Kinect Sports is their exercise some days. At least they are up and moving their bodies, not just their thumbs!
  • missashleigh92
    missashleigh92 Posts: 37 Member
    I LOVE just dance and making workout playlists with unlimited.
    I’ve always struggled to stick with exercises as I’ve always found the gym boring but this I can do daily for up to an hour and actually enjoy myself doing it. It’s got me up off the couch because it’s so easy to get into quickly and its so convenient in the comfort of my living room. it’s been a real blessing during lockdown.
    I’ve also been playing ring fit adventure and Zumba burn it up recently but just dance is by far my favourite.