Help out a 47 yr young female!

Options
I'm a 47 yr young female and just started using this site - I've been struggling with my weight since I turned 45; anyone have any suggestions for someone my age in regards to losing weight?? I have two bad knees from playing sports and running half marathons in the past so I have difficulty with doing most cardio, lunges and squats.

Replies

• shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi Rusty - I am Susan, 48 years young and have been using this site for almost 2 months. I have lost 22 lbs, been watching (staying under) my daily calorie consumtion, walking and/or stationery bike 45 minutes 6 x week. I tried the 30 day shred that everyone was ravining about, but I couldn't handle the juming jacks. Walking and biking are safer for me. the other night I did a sweating to the oldies dvd and it was fun.

Add me as a friend, the site is really good.

Take Care,
    Susan:happy:
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    I am right there with you, turning 50 in NOvemeber. I started peri-menopause when I turned 46, well that is when I was tested. I find it almost impossible to lose weight. They say it can be done but I get so frustrated. I started trying to lose and exercise in February 2011 and have lost 12 pounds. Now I'm stuck.

Walking is a great workout. "Walk away the pounds" is an awesome workout that won't hurt you knees.

You can friend this fellow older lady if you would like

Lori
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    Hi Rusty - I am Susan, 48 years young and have been using this site for almost 2 months. I have lost 22 lbs, been watching (staying under) my daily calorie consumtion, walking and/or stationery bike 45 minutes 6 x week. I tried the 30 day shred that everyone was ravining about, but I couldn't handle the juming jacks. Walking and biking are safer for me. the other night I did a sweating to the oldies dvd and it was fun.

Add me as a friend, the site is really good.

Take Care,
    Susan:happy:

I am doing 30 day shred on level 2 and I now have to modify the jumping... killing my knees and hips.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I hit the 5-0 mark and lived to tell about it-haha. Actually I'm feeling better TODAY than I did 20 yrs ago.

I do a LOT of walking- and get "creative" with it... I have a 4 acre yard ( with hills) that is my *free* treadmill

as well as an upstairs/downstairs that I can walk a circuit for as long as I want ( I'd make a great hamster- I don't get bored w/ repetition)

I also like Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds videos- I have some but recently discovered our local cable co. has MANY exercise videos ( Including hers) on the ON DEMAND menu...Woo Hoo!!!!!

My *secret*- my body FIGHTS every notion I get to exercise- so I "sneak" it in without letting my body know I'm doing it ON PURPOSE....
    I park MUCH further away from the store than I used to, and I push the cart ALL THE WAY BACK into the store- instead of the closest cart rack in the parking lot.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Rusty,
    Elliptical machines or recumbent bike would be best for your knees for cardio....
    Oh, I'm 49 yrs young and lost my first 50lbs when I was 42...and this past year I've lost another 30 total...
    I walk/jog, Zumba, use weights....I've been on here for a little over 2 months and it has helped me keep better track of my calories eaten and burned....
    Plus I eat my exercise calories back....There's a lot on that on here....
  • julmikek
    julmikek Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I too, am starting on my journey to a healthier and happier me... I know that its not going to be easy, but I have a great motivator and I know that I can do this!!! :tongue:
  • abouthealth56
    abouthealth56 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm soon to be 57, diagnosed with a torn meniscus several months ago. From personal experience, I would recommend the following:
    Get a good trainer for strength training. I have a great one, who is also a certified Pilates instructor.
    For cardio:
    walk on treadmill, which is easier on knees--also swimming and water aerobics.
    Good nutrition, good supplements(such as omega 3s/fish oil).
    The orthepedic physician told me that for every 10 lbs. I lost, I would take 25 lbs. of pressure off my knees!
    I wish you success!
  • SevenSix
    Options
    Hello!

I am 48 and do strength training twice a week :-) I use free weights, 3 seconds up, three seconds down timing at a weight I can do about 6 reps with.

I wrecked a knee in my 30's running 30+ miles a week, so I can't do anything high impact. Weight training maintains me at the same weights I was in my 20's and strong enough to do chin ups.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I so relate to all of you here. I started MFP shortly after my 49th birthday and due to hormone levels found it very difficult to lose weight. Everyone around me was losing 2-3 times the weight doing the same things. It took me 15 months to lose 45 pounds but it has stayed off for a year. You can see before and after pictures on my profile. Now I have reset my goals to lose another 20 pounds this year.

As for bad knees... I have 'em and swear by a daily dose of glucosamine and chondroitin. Osteobiflex is one brand but I am sure there are many. I am also a fan of regular theraputic massage. I have a great, affordable masseuse who helps me keep the kinks worked out.

About exercise ~ the best exercise is the one you'll do! :happy: I get bored easily so I do lots of different exercises to keep myself motivated. I meet at the park to walk 3 days a week during the school year, but also ride my bike, use hand weights 2x a week and have several cardio dvds. My favorites are Zumba, Country Line Dancing Pilates, and Leslie Sansone walking ones.

Just don't give up, even if it doesn't happen as fast as you'd like! Slow and steady will get you there. If I had stopped when my progress was slow, I would still be shopping in the plus side of the store! As much as I enjoy being a smaller size again, feeling good and having more energy is where its really at. :flowerforyou: