You don't "melt" fat by sweating or getting hotter

Options
2»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff while you’re at it can you direct me to the thread you did in January about engaging and holding abs? If you remember that one?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff while you’re at it can you direct me to the thread you did in January about engaging and holding abs? If you remember that one?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10824708/what-you-may-not-be-doing-to-get-a-flatter-stomach/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Sorry, hate to interject here, but two and a half years of data on my Apple Watch do show that hot classes burn 20% or more more calories than unheated.

I did about 50/50 up til covid and the difference was noticeable. When the studio reopened after covid, they had to use the big studio due to social distancing and couldn’t heat it as well. Limited hot classes have just restarted in the past month, and the calorie burn has shot back up during those classes.

Indirectly, the heat helps because it requires a lot more exertion, and it’s far more fatiguing. But it’s not because we are roasting in there and fat’s dripping off us like a rotisserie spit.

Higher ambient heat increases heart rate at the same intensity of exercise, compared to lower ambient heat. I see this in rowing workouts (on water) on very hot days compared to quite cold ones, doing same distance/speed/duration. It doesn't mean that more calories are burned, because it's oxygen uptake that correlates more closely with calorie burn, and heartbeat correlates with oxygen uptake, but heart rate also increases for reasons having nothing to do with oxygen uptake, and that don't increase calorie burn.

This next I'm not sure of, but I've heard that the mechanism behind increased heart rate in heat has to do with blood consistency in higher ambient heat, so it takes more heartbeats to deliver same blood volume.

@ninerbuff, perhaps this was the Azdak blog you were thinking of?

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201003

Azdak has several blog posts on the foibles of heart rate monitors as calorie estimators, or for other uses. They're all very informative, IMO. Any aspects I've fact-checked have been sound (IMO), so I don't much bother to fact check him anymore, to be truthful.

ETA: Yes, exercising at X intensity in higher heat is more fatiguing, IME. I've never tried to figure out why, just assumed it had to do with hydration and body temperature effects.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Sorry, hate to interject here, but two and a half years of data on my Apple Watch do show that hot classes burn 20% or more more calories than unheated.

I did about 50/50 up til covid and the difference was noticeable. When the studio reopened after covid, they had to use the big studio due to social distancing and couldn’t heat it as well. Limited hot classes have just restarted in the past month, and the calorie burn has shot back up during those classes.

Indirectly, the heat helps because it requires a lot more exertion, and it’s far more fatiguing. But it’s not because we are roasting in there and fat’s dripping off us like a rotisserie spit.

Higher ambient heat increases heart rate at the same intensity of exercise, compared to lower ambient heat. I see this in rowing workouts (on water) on very hot days compared to quite cold ones, doing same distance/speed/duration. It doesn't mean that more calories are burned, because it's oxygen uptake that correlates more closely with calorie burn, and heartbeat correlates with oxygen uptake, but heart rate also increases for reasons having nothing to do with oxygen uptake, and that don't increase calorie burn.

This next I'm not sure of, but I've heard that the mechanism behind increased heart rate in heat has to do with blood consistency in higher ambient heat, so it takes more heartbeats to deliver same blood volume.

@ninerbuff, perhaps this was the Azdak blog you were thinking of?

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201003

Azdak has several blog posts on the foibles of heart rate monitors as calorie estimators, or for other uses. They're all very informative, IMO. Any aspects I've fact-checked have been sound (IMO), so I don't much bother to fact check him anymore, to be truthful.

ETA: Yes, exercising at X intensity in higher heat is more fatiguing, IME. I've never tried to figure out why, just assumed it had to do with hydration and body temperature effects.
    Yes Ann that's it! Thanks.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Sportertje354
    Sportertje354 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Does make me wonder if ambient heat, and things such as breathing hotter air, is a different effect than a gel warming your body, in a colder environment

Because if you burn more calories being hotter, than that could give some validation to some of these creams maybe
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    So... there’s no overweight people living in hot climates, right? :D
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    So... there’s no overweight people living in hot climates, right? :D

👋🏻

But, when I was overweight, the last thing I was thinking of was exerting myself in the heat (or anywhere else, for that matter). My sole exercise for years was getting from the office AC to the car AC to the house AC.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Does make me wonder if ambient heat, and things such as breathing hotter air, is a different effect than a gel warming your body, in a colder environment

Because if you burn more calories being hotter, than that could give some validation to some of these creams maybe

You don't burn materially more calories being hotter. In fact, it seems possible that we burn *slightly* more calories when we're colder (to maintain body temperature), but manipulating ambient temperature in either direction is not likely to be a particularly effective weight loss strategy.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

You've obviously never been to Samoa or Micronesia.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You don't burn materially more calories being hotter. In fact, it seems possible that we burn *slightly* more calories when we're colder (to maintain body temperature), but manipulating ambient temperature in either direction is not likely to be a particularly effective weight loss strategy.
    Yup. It takes more energy to keep the body warm than it does to cool it. In fact "shivering" is an involuntary response for the body to move blood faster through the body to warm it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sportertje354
    edited March 2021
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

You've obviously never been to Samoa or Micronesia.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hmmm, I meant scientifically what the difference is, although perception may play a role

I've been to hot countries, and excercising during the hottest part of the day usually isn't recommended, by the locals. Tend to exercise in the morning or evening

However, even then some areas might be a more ideal heat to train in to get maximum effects than others, if heat plays a role as some claim
  • Sportertje354
    edited March 2021
    Options
    So, from what I understand from this topic I should excercise in a sauna, followed by excercise in an ice bath, followed by putting on fat cream with the cooling down excercise, and if I haven't dropped dead from heat stroke or heart attack, which appears likely, I should lose some extra fat (exact percentage unknown)

Where do I sign up?

lolz

/sarcasm (for the Americans, before someone tries to microwave this comment)

Sidenote: a microwave could melt fat, but would be dangerous to your health
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So, from what I understand from this topic I should excercise in a sauna, followed by excercise in an ice bath, followed by putting on fat cream with the cooling down excercise, and if I haven't dropped dead from heat stroke or heart attack, which appears likely, I should lose some extra fat (exact percentage unknown)

Where do I sign up?

lolz

/sarcasm (for the Americans, before someone tries to microwave this comment)

Sidenote: a microwave could melt fat, but would be dangerous to your health
    Easy now. Someone desperate enough may actually follow that program due to lack of knowledge. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png