Scale Depression

Options
Before I weighed this morning - I am a weekly weigher - I expected to see the scale below last week's weight of 190. Didn't happen. Back at 191.4. I think the 190 was a fluke. My weight has been stuck at 191.4ish for 3 weeks. I am so discouraged. I am female, short, have the metabolism of a hibernating sloth, and will be 60 this year. I am trying to encourage myself - the scale has shown a loss of around 5 pounds since starting calorie watching on February 10th but that loss was 3 weeks ago. My daily calorie goal is 1,100 and I rarely go over that. I am walking 2-3 miles every day and doing strength training intermittently at home. (I really don't want to add muscle weight right now because I am so depressed over the scale readings.) Anyway, I will try to focus on the 5 pounds lost and am determined to continue watching Fat, Carbs, and Protein along with caloric intake and daily exercise and hope the next 2 weeks show a real loss of at least 1 pound. Any encouragement appreciated!

Replies

• thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Before I weighed this morning - I am a weekly weigher - I expected to see the scale below last week's weight of 190. Didn't happen. Back at 191.4. I think the 190 was a fluke. My weight has been stuck at 191.4ish for 3 weeks. I am so discouraged. I am female, short, have the metabolism of a hibernating sloth, and will be 60 this year. I am trying to encourage myself - the scale has shown a loss of around 5 pounds since starting calorie watching on February 10th but that loss was 3 weeks ago. My daily calorie goal is 1,100 and I rarely go over that. I am walking 2-3 miles every day and doing strength training intermittently at home. (I really don't want to add muscle weight right now because I am so depressed over the scale readings.) Anyway, I will try to focus on the 5 pounds lost and am determined to continue watching Fat, Carbs, and Protein along with caloric intake and daily exercise and hope the next 2 weeks show a real loss of at least 1 pound. Any encouragement appreciated!

weight loss isnt linear.

you've lost 5 pounds in 4 weeks? sounds like your weight loss is spot on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Look at your average trend...10 Lbs in three weeks is an average of over 3 Lbs per week. Weight loss doesn't happen linearly. Weight management in general is about long term trends over time...

Weight-Loss-Reality-Feature-1024x538.png

That's what weight loss looks like plotted on a graph with a long term trend line...for everyone.

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I put my scale under the bed for the month of March to focus on keeping up my healthy habits. Just letting you know an alternative to the weight trend apps listed above. I think both are tools that help keep your focus long term.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    How short? I am female, short, 64 yrs. I am now walking 5-6 times a week for 60-90 minutes, 2 days a week strength train for 30 minutes. My daily calorie intake is around 1400-1500 and I am losing approx 1.5 lbs per week until a week ago it didn't budge, then a few days later, almost 2 lbs gone. I weigh twice a week.

I would eat just a little more, and just wait. It'll happen. It's hard when you're doing all the right things and it doesn't seem like you're making progress, but hang in there. It will happen.
  • mcmahansheilaw
    mcmahansheilaw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1". I do think I am not drinking enough water. I am doing strength training 2 days a week. I walk 6-7 days a week. Thanks for the encouragement, all. I will read all the articles linked.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1". I do think I am not drinking enough water. I am doing strength training 2 days a week. I walk 6-7 days a week. Thanks for the encouragement, all. I will read all the articles linked.

Yes, water is really important. If I don't drink enough it makes a difference. Also, I cannot stress this enough: getting good sleep is imperative to weight loss. So make sure you're getting enough water and sleep.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Also the scale is just a tool. While your weight going down MAY be an indication you're getting fitter and healthier, it DOESN'T denote what it is weighing. You can put anything on it and it just gives a number. And WATER in the body is a big factor where people's weight fluctuates,which is why it's not linear.
    My last thing to say is if you look the way you want, fit the clothes you want, and people are compimenting you......then don't tie your success directly to what the scale says.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mcmahansheilaw
    mcmahansheilaw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the advice and support. You have helped my mental health tremendously.
    I will pay more attention to sleep, carbs and water and realize their impact upon the scale.
    Praying each of you continues to find success in your health journey.