How do people hit fiber goals

Options
How do people hit fiber goals while cutting?

My normal day:
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup mixed berries
3 eggs
1 cup skim milk

Snack 1:
Whet protein shack

Lunch:
Homemade Terriyaki chicken
Brown rice with broccoli

Snack 2:
Mixed nuts
1 cup popcorn

Post work out:
Whey Protein shack

Dinner:
Chicken salad with broccoli and cauliflower and spinach.
Skim milk.

I feel like it's crazy healthy and only 25 grams of fiber. Feel like 38 is too high
I feel like that's crazy healthy and only

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    25 grams a day is not bad but I see you only eat fruit once a day. The RDA for fruits and vegetables is more than you’re eating. Maybe you can add more produce to your diet.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are too far off. However, if you still want to increase:

-when I use protein shakes, I look for ones with fiber in them

-I sometimes do chia porridge or pudding, rather than oatmeal, or add chia or flax to the oatmeal

-I add various seeds to my salads
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Mine is mostly from veggies & fruits. Beans and other legumes are power players, but they're not the only ones. A 100g of black beans for example has around 9g of fiber, plus some good other nutrients.

I looked back at when I was losing. On 1500-1600 calories most days, I was getting 30s-40s grams of fiber. Some was from oatmeal, but mostly veggies & fruits.

I agree that if your "throughput" is satisfactory, then you're probably OK at 25 . . . but 38 doesn't seem crazy high to me, as someone who eats large amounts of veggies/fruits, seeds, and that sort of thing. (Most days, now in maintenance, I get 40-60g.) To be clear, I don't work at getting lots of fiber, it's just coming from what I eat to get overall well-rounded nutrition from foods I personally enjoy eating.

If you want to add more, beans and other legumes would be the quickest big add, IMO, at reasonable calories and certainly other useful nutrition. Some people take a psyllium fiber supplement, but I suspect food sources would be better if you can find things you enjoy eating. Getting a bare minimum of 5 veggie/fruit servings is a generic recommendation for overall good nutrition, micros as well as fiber: That might be a good place to start, if not there yet. (For simplicity, I think in terms of 80g of veggies being one serving.)

P.S. Since the database is crowd-sourced, maybe first check that the fiber content in the foods you eat frequently is correct in the database? Sometimes, it can look like we're under-consuming some nutrient, when we're really not. You don't mention quantities in your food list, but you do have some fiber sources in there
  • Biggiwig69
    Biggiwig69 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I add psyllium seed husks to my foods. Plenty of fiber.
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I’ve found the same thing too having recently started my first MFP-tracked cut.

When on a lean bulk, I could fairly easily get 60g fibre a day (55/25/20 carb/protein/fat with 3100 calories)).

Now I’m cutting (40/40/20 with 2500 calories) I seem to hover around 20g fibre today. Swapping out porridge has made the biggest difference.

I don’t have suggestions yet, but interested to see the posts. I’m making sure to drink plenty of water.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

P.S. Since the database is crowd-sourced, maybe first check that the fiber content in the foods you eat frequently is correct in the database? Sometimes, it can look like we're under-consuming some nutrient, when we're really not. You don't mention quantities in your food list, but you do have some fiber sources in there

This ^ Fibre is missing from a lot of entries in the database.

Oatmeal - 1.7g approx per 100g
    Berries - 2.4g approx per 100g

Depending on what your protein snack is - some of those are quite high in fibre - one of the bars I like is 8g per serving. If it's a shake there's not normally any unless it's fortified.

Lets say for arguments sake 1g Fibre for your Teriyaki Chicken as I don't know what recipe you're following. (1g)

Brown Rice - 1.8g approx per 100g (cooked weight)
    Broccoli - 2.6g per 100g

Mixed Nuts - 7g approx per 100g
    Popcorn - 13g approx per 100g

Cauliflower - 2g approx per 100g
    Spinach - 2.3g approx per 100g

As other's have mentioned if your "movements" are normal, you've nothing really to worry about.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I generally hit my fiber target relatively easy ranging between 30 - 40 grams, which is my normal. I do, however, consume tons of veggies throughout the day and sometimes fruit too. Like already mentioned, I eat beans often, which is high in protein and fiber as well.

Side note: You do an excellent job of getting your protein based on what you shared in your post. That's what I need to get better at. I'm a work in progress in that area.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I think you're using database items that have the fiber reported incorrectly. It looks to me like that day's menu does have 38+ grams fiber.

Check and vet all your entries...as said above the database is crowd-sourced and you have to check all entries to assure accuracy.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    Options
    +1 database entries unless your chicken with broccoli is very light on broccoli and you salad is similarly light on salad.

As to the 5 a day discussion, in general even more then 5 vegetables and fruits a day are good (studies show increased benefits to 8 or 10x 85g portions). And while fruit are the cat's meow to my taste buds, healthwise veggies probably come in with even more bonus points. Mind you, for my own count, I consider tomatoes veggies not fruits, and I don't exclude boiled potatoes from the count because they have starch... but hey, that's me!

And quantity.... I mean.... I usually add tomatoes to my salad by the lb (ok, sometimes only 350g at a time), but if you're cutting they're no need to save on the (calorically) cheap stuff, right?

You can also explore zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, peas (higher calories but also higher protein), green beans, and did I mention rutabaga/sweede boiled and mashed with a bit of sucralose... yum yum!!! You're not limited to just broccoli!

A lot of protein bars are also high fiber... but watch the type/quality of protein they use as most are quite disappointing....
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I feel like it's crazy healthy and only 25 grams of fiber. Feel like 38 is too high

I usually have higher fiber when I have beans or lentils or more carbs/cals generally, but as an example yesterday was a 38 g fiber day without either, and a pretty low cal day overall (and low-ish carb, only about 110 total). My main fiber (most contributing only a little, but it adds up) was from:

Avocado, turnips, beets, green beans, kale, spinach, potatoes, broccoli, fennel, cauliflower, strawberries, almonds.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I average 40-50 g a day.

Typical brekkie is savory oatmeal with flax, chia and hemp with at least 300 g of veg (sauteed onions, spinach, celery, peppers, bok choy, mushroom . .) whatever I've got.

Lunch is a big salad that averages between 500-600 g of raw veg and a protein (usually beans, hummus or tofu since I'm an herbivore)

Those tow meals usually gets me to 20-30 g of fiber.

Dinner varies a lot, but typically a starch (noodles, rice, quinoa, bulghar wheat) a protein (beans, seitan, tofu) and at least two more veggies.

• justinsinnard
    justinsinnard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah it was off a lot on what fitness pal was saying.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Not to be gross, but if your "output" is fine, I wouldn't worry too much about fiber unless you have a specific medical reason to. My recommended per MFP is 25g and I have no problem hitting that most days and am frequently over by a few. I eat a lot of vegetables and I add flax seed to my morning oatmeal.

38g does seem like a lot to me. I'd have to start chewing on stalks or something to reach that. :D

Your typical day sounds really nutritious to me.

I must eat my words now - I prelogged my food for today and I am in fact at 38g of fiber! And nothing seems extreme or weird, beyond that I'm not eating meat today (which is a couple days per week thing.)

Glad you got it sorted. :)