Are you struggling to lose weight even though you track everything and eat low calories?

There are lots of threads on here from people who are struggling to lose weight and yet they record ALL their food, and eat below 1200.

Lots of the responses from other posters say you need to weigh your food; it’s frustrating isn’t it? You know how much you’re eating and something is wrong but everyone blames your tracking!

Let me tell you about my peanut butter epiphany. I love the crunchy non-sweetened stuff (I’m in the UK) and used to have a “tablespoon” on my crackers. I used a measuring spoon and logged it on MFP. Now a tablespoon is c15grams. One day I weighted it, and it was 27g. Now depending on the brand, that’s between 50 and 100 calories extra I didn’t know I was eating. So 2 tablespoons (still not much to eat) is anything from 100 to 200 cals extra. Imagine doing that most days and you’ve now wiped out the deficit you’ve carefully created.

So when someone replies with the flowchart about CICO and asks if you’re weighing food, or suggests you open your diary so that they can spot logging mistakes, they’re doing that because they want to prevent you making the same mistakes they did. It can feel insulting when someone implies you don’t know how to log properly, I get that.

But I didn’t. And I now weigh every blasted morsel of the crunchy yummy stuff.

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Yep, I have never been able to eyeball anything I've gotten so used to using my food scale that I'm not sure what I'd do without it. It certainly saves me on having to wash exrra dishes!!
    I mean, I've never really understood why people are so opposed to using it sometimes (well, I mean, other than folks suffering or who have suffered from ED, of course).

I feel like a very competent cook and adjusting to a scale has been hard for me! I do understand the accuracy aspect of it and so far it has been helpful for me, but I am used to doing things in the kitchen in a certain way, so it's like learning all over again!

To help me get amounts I've actually been using measuring cups to put into the bowl on the scale, because I just have no concept in my head of what the right amount should be in grams. Once I have most of my recipes adjusted, though, that will be easier, and save me some dishes!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    Yep, I have never been able to eyeball anything I've gotten so used to using my food scale that I'm not sure what I'd do without it. It certainly saves me on having to wash exrra dishes!!
    I mean, I've never really understood why people are so opposed to using it sometimes (well, I mean, other than folks suffering or who have suffered from ED, of course).

I feel like a very competent cook and adjusting to a scale has been hard for me! I do understand the accuracy aspect of it and so far it has been helpful for me, but I am used to doing things in the kitchen in a certain way, so it's like learning all over again!

To help me get amounts I've actually been using measuring cups to put into the bowl on the scale, because I just have no concept in my head of what the right amount should be in grams. Once I have most of my recipes adjusted, though, that will be easier, and save me some dishes!

I love to cook too..its like one of favorite passtimes. I guess for me the difference is that I didn't really start to get invested more into it until the last five to ten years or so, and by then I was already using the food scale. It sort of just became part of the routine. I just know from the few experiences I've tried that my eyeballing "serving" usually ends up being more like a serving and a half, especially when it comes to ice cream! 😂
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    I love to cook too..its like one of favorite passtimes. I guess for me the difference is that I didn't really start to get invested more into it until the last five to ten years or so, and by then I was already using the food scale. It sort of just became part of the routine. I just know from the few experiences I've tried that my eyeballing "serving" usually ends up being more like a serving and a half, especially when it comes to ice cream! 😂

Even if I did measure everything out, it would only cover 2/3 of my meals. My wife is in early retirement while I still work. She cooks all of the dinners during the week and I cook dinners on the weekends. She doesn't track calories and I was never going to ask her to measure things out for accuracy, so I've always had to estimate my dinners. It's actually a little easier now because we use one of the meal services (Green Chef now, we've used all of them over the last 4 or 5 years) that provides raw ingredients and a calorie count. But, there is no way to know how much olive oil she uses. She separates the total contents into two plates, who knows what percentage I'm getting. I just think over time it averages out as long as you are honest with yourself and you estimate conservatively (over estimate a little).

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I love to cook and never use recipes except for inspiration. I actually think this is why when I switched to weighing it was easier for me vs. estimating cups. I never used cups for cooking much -- for baking, but baking actually is better with a scale, and I much prefer cooking to baking anyway. So I still chop up as much whatever as I plan to use, but then I put it on the scale when creating my mis en place or before throwing it in/on the pan, if it's one of those evenings. I'll estimate some things if I forget to weigh them or if it's easier (I estimate olive oil, and I'm consistent enough that I figure it's fine).

I never struggled to lose, both before I started weighing or after (maybe I'm a good eyeballer), but I find logging easier and more fun when I weigh. Some people do, though, and for them weighing for a while and being super duper careful in logging for a while until they know their numbers are right is likely important--their tracking wasn't close enough if they weren't losing (or their goal was the wrong number, but better to find that out).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I don't think any of us disputes that some people can lose weight successfully without precise measuring

nor does anyone claim you have to be absolutely perfect at it.

Heck, I am the biggest fan of 'lazy logging' and my logging is full of estimates and law of averages - and that's fine if it is working.

But if it isn't, trouble shooting diary errors and tightening your logging is best place to start.

This is the point I was trying to make too, but didn't do it nearly so well.