Diet & Sport

Options
Hello everyone.
My goal is to reach 1970 kcal. When I go running I normally burn 650kcal and when I log my exercise my calories go up.

Ex: I need to eat other 200 kcal in order to reach my goal. When I log my exercise (650kcal), the app says that I need to eat now 850kcal in order to reach it. But I can't afford to eat all that amount until the end of the day.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    That is the way the app is designed to work, your calorie goal doesn't include intentional exercise.

Not sure what you mean by you can't afford to eat that amount until the end of the day though?

If you know you're going for a run, why not just plan extra snacks or more calorie dense meals on those days, or "bank" the calories for some more calorific meals on another day.

How long of a run are you doing that you're burning 650 calories (not saying that it's not possible but it may be overestimated)?
  • matbas98
    matbas98 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I normally run 1h and 15 minutes and I use runtastic app. I mean when I log my exercise the app says that I need to eat more calories than before running. What if I go below my goal? I can't afford to eat 850 kcal for dinner ahahah.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    matbas98 wrote: »
    I normally run 1h and 15 minutes and I use runtastic app. I mean when I log my exercise the app says that I need to eat more calories than before running. What if I go below my goal? I can't afford to eat 850 kcal for dinner ahahah.

Ok that's probably not too overestimated.

I still don't understand what you mean by you can't afford to eat 850 calories for dinner.

If you go below your goal occasionally then not much, but if you're consistently under-eating you may risk vitamin & mineral deficiencies and other inadequate nutrition. You may also find that your athletic performance is hindered as you'll be eating below the minimum recommended intake for a man (1500 net) and fatigue can set in.

There are plenty of ways to increase your calorie intake without increasing volume too much, healthy fats in particular such as:
    • Oils/Dressings
    • Nut Butters
    • Nuts

Presumably as you've got a calorie goal for weight loss, at some point you did not struggle to eat that much per day and have now gone to the other extreme. Find the middle ground.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im not sure im following your dilemma.

it doesnt matter when durng the day you eat your calories or when you have your workout. your body doesn't care.

For example, if you dont workout until the evening, that's fine, you still need to eat those calories earlier in the day (as long as you know for certain you are going to have that workout). conversely, if you workout in the morning and dont eat until evening, that too, is fine.

The one thing you need to be careful of is giving yourself too much credit for your workout. If you are going by MFP estimates, realize they are typically inflated for the average person. Start by eating half and adjusting after a few weeks, dependent on what your weight is doing (losing faster than anticipated, eat a bit more; losing less than anticipated, eat a few less)
  • Suzanne98009113
    Suzanne98009113 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    There is a setting in your profile where you can turn off the additional calories from exercise. I have done that as I want to stick to my original daily limit. Just to try and speed up my weight loss.
    Hope this helps.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - if you are serious about sporting fitness goals ignoring the calorie demands of vigorous exercise is a really bad choice.

Now you have an idea of your calorie needs on a day you run it will allow you to plan your whole day's eating better. e.g. yesterday I cycled for four hours so I planned that into my eating for the day starting with a high calorie breakfast. I would have had to plough through a mountain of food in the evening if I waited until dinner to try and catch up to my goal.