New Here! Any advice on my plan of attack?

Options
laurasmith2277
laurasmith2277 Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2021 in Getting Started
Hi there!

I am a 53 YO grandma with a goal weight of 160 by end of May. Monday I was 180. I am 5'9". Think this is doable in 12 weeks? I would appreciate any feedback/input on my "plan of attack" to get to my goal.

Although I want to lose the weight for my own desire of liking my body again - the end of May is my son's wedding and I always do better with a "finish line". Helps with the motivation. My plan is:

1. Decrease carbs (daily goal of 10% of my macros)...knowing I'll land about 25% daily. This has worked for me before.
2. Water goal of 100 oz. a day.
3. Track my food on MFP for accountability and ability to measure
4. This week my husband and I started a 9 week Beachbody program.
5. I already play tennis 1-2X a week - but honestly having done that for 45 years...my body is used to that so I don't think I can count that as over and above in the exercise department.
6. Swim 2 times a week. (40 minutes each time)

Any other suggestions? Thoughts on if 20 pounds in 12 weeks is reasonable? I do weigh myself everyday. I know you aren't supposed to do that - but again - it makes me feel accountable. For whatever reason I see changes in the scale about every 3-4 days.

TIA for any advice/suggestions/input!

Oh! And I'm not THAT familiar with MFP...other than the tracking of food. What other cool stuff should I be utilizing? Forums, tracking....am I missing anything else?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Welcome.
    20 in 12 weeks is fast to lose the last 20lbs.

A thing that often trips people up is using cups and spoons for measurng their food, that's can be horrendously inaccurate for solid foods (calories are in relation to weight of the item not the volume). A digital kitchen scale is a good investment, not just for accuracy but also educational about serving sizes.

Remember that your base calorie goal is only for a day with no exercise as that's added after the event to keep to the calorie deficit you selected when you picked your rate of loss. Don't use exercise to boost what is already an aggressive rate of weight loss.
  • 2021WLjourney
    2021WLjourney Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Xxx
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Can it be done? Yes. Do I feel it's a bit agressive? Yes. Unlike some that have been sedentary, you're already active. So there's gotta be a good balance for your calorie deficit to sustain enough energy to still be active efficiently and not crash. You're talking 1.5lbs a week, again which isn't crazy. Find your TDEE and eat 750 calories less a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 2021WLjourney
    2021WLjourney Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Thank you! I see.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say Welcome and Good Luck! You seem to have put more then average amount of thought into things, and your feet are already on pretty firm ground. I believe you are well on your way to success!