Treat days?

I have the occasional treat day (Usually after I've had a few glasses of wine the night before) I seem to have no issue with that. I seem to be averaging losing 3lbs a week so far and I don't go crazy crazy over my calories. But the next day after my "treat day" I am starving hungry! I wake up and could eat a horse! Why does this happen? I still get my protein and my veg in, which for me is my most important. So why am I so hungry? It does go by the end of the day. I just want to know why it happens. Very strange I think.

Replies

• Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Like I said it's averaged out. Some weeks I lose nothing other weeks like the week I came off of my period I lost nearly 6lbs. I know this isn't all fat. So I don't think you should be concerned. I only started January the 17th and to my understanding you lose a lot when you first start due to water retention. I started at 15st.1lbs and now I am at 13st5. I eat on average between 1200-1900kcal on my "good days" and this depends on my exercise and whether I'm working or not. I just want to know why my body feels so starving when I've had so much to eat the day before lol!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,093 Member
    Hunger is very individual. Some people are hungrier after eating a higher volume meal, some after eating more simple carbs, etc.

After the Christmas holidays for example, I am more hungry for a few weeks, as my stomach readjusts after those high-volume high-calorie family dinners.

It could also be linked to exercise: some people are hungrier after high intensity cardio, some are hungrier after resistance training,... If you have your treat days on days when you exercise, there could be a link there too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2021
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    Like I said it's averaged out. Some weeks I lose nothing other weeks like the week I came off of my period I lost nearly 6lbs. I know this isn't all fat. So I don't think you should be concerned. I only started January the 17th and to my understanding you lose a lot when you first start due to water retention. I started at 15st.1lbs and now I am at 13st5. I eat on average between 1200-1900kcal on my "good days" and this depends on my exercise and whether I'm working or not. I just want to know why my body feels so starving when I've had so much to eat the day before lol!

On average you are losing too fast, fast weight loss is rarely the best way. You are risking failing when it all gets too hard or if you push hard all the way to goal weight being terribly disappointed in how you look and feel if you do get there.

If you ate more on average you might not be so starving hungry after a refeed day. Being hungry is a normal thing when you are consistently under-eating.
  • Jayj180894
    I really don't understand how I am undereatting. I eat 1200kcal to 1900kcal a day, depending on the exercise. If Im sat on my *kitten* all day I tend to have around 1200 cos I'm just not that hungry, but if I have worked or exercised it's usually between 1500-1900kcal. On my "good days" I don't feel hungry and when I do I eat. I read water fluctuations can go up to 10lbs. I don't feel I'm pushing myself too hard. I'm doing c25k and I walk a lot. MFP has estimated me 1500kcal and that's what I go off of. When I've asked before exercise. I eat some of my calories back each day but I've been told the calories between MFP and my fitbit aren't just exercise calories, so I don't eat tonnes back. After changing my diet I feel I have more energy than I have had before, my body is changing and I feel more confident. My fitness is improving, so I really don't understand why you think I am undereatting
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member
    It's 1500 calories plus exercise calories. Thus if you use MFP as it's meant to be you should eat 1500 calories every day plus the exercise calories.
  • Jayj180894
    edited March 2021
    And eat only 25-50% exercise calories. I was told that MFP and fitbit calories aren't just exercise calories hence why I'm not eating 600 more calories each day. And I always thought if you are FAT likke me you lose a lot of weight in the beginning and then in slows right down?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,382 Member
    Not with everyone, and not over a period of 8 weeks. How has your weight loss changed over time? How much have you lost in the last 4 weeks? If it's still more than 2lbs per week then you're way undereating.
  • Jayj180894
    On the 14th of February I weighed in at 13st12 I was yoyoing between 13.12 and 13.10 until around the 7th of March and I weighed in at 13st5. But this was only a few days after my period. So in the last 4 weeks I have lost 7lbs max.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Surely the knowledge that you can eat more and still lose weight is a good thing?
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited March 2021
    Just curious, what do you consider a treat? Because you stated you have a treat day and the next day you’re ravenous, and in another post you say “I just want to know why my body feels so starving when I've had so much to eat the day before lol!”.

Just trying to understand your definition.
  • Jayj180894
    Surely the knowledge that you can eat more and still lose weight is a good thing?

I'm not undereating though? In the last 4 weeks I've lost under 2lb a week on average. It's just a case of the whole 8 weeks it averages to 3lbs.
  • Jayj180894
    Ddsb11 wrote: »
    Just curious, what do you consider a treat? Because you stated you have a treat day and the next day you’re ravenous, and in another post you say “I just want to know why my body feels so starving when I've had so much to eat the day before lol!”.

When I over eat. Stuff myself silly. I wake up in the morning and I feel very hungry. Whereas normal days I don't.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited March 2021
    Ddsb11 wrote: »

When I over eat. Stuff myself silly. I wake up in the morning and I feel very hungry. Whereas normal days I don't.

Okay so something closer to a mini binge. Gotcha.

A treat or treat day, for me, would be having a higher calorie food item, such as dessert, or possibly going out to dinner instead of making something at home in a controlled calorie setting. Tbh, I pretty much have a treat every single day. As long as it fits in my calories, why not?

If I had a really high calorie day, I’m typically hungry the next day as well. I feel like the more I eat, the hungrier I am, it’s like opening the flood gates. I’m sure there’s a scientific explanation, and I wish I had it for you. But you’re not alone.
  • Jayj180894
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Because that treat day will make your blood sugar spike sharply. This is likely the reason you feel hungrier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That makes sense. Thanks
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member

I'm not undereating though? In the last 4 weeks I've lost under 2lb a week on average. It's just a case of the whole 8 weeks it averages to 3lbs.

I haven't commented on whether you're under eating or not... but for me, the more I can eat (when I was trying to lose weight) and still lose, the better... after all food is yummy, or you wouldn't 'stuff yourself silly' would you?