Squatting help

First off I’ve been working out for about 6 years now but recently I’ve began to be more dedicated to getting healthy. I love to work legs but I have a moderate case of “knock knee” and have short thighs. So it makes proper squatting technique difficult. I have a hard time getting my butt low enough on squats and have been recently using a bench to place Behind me to let me know when I’ve gotten low enough. Is this cheating or bad for me? Anybody else have this problem? Thanks for your time.

Replies

• Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    Hey!

It's been awhile since I was squatting serious weight... However I have short legs (and thighs) and a long upper torso. So I found it somewhat difficult in the same regard. I pretty much always used an upside down milk crate (I think they were about 12" or less high).

You can look at it two ways....

1. Your cheating. (not how I look at it at all).

Or

2. Your ensuring your getting down to at least X height every single squat (YEah babY)

So definitely use that bench, hopefully the bench is low enough to allow you to get 90% or better at the knee's and try not to rest on the bench (sort of kiss and hold). just use it to know where you are give your self a small pause and up you go.

And slightly on topic... I if your not hitting your traps hard, you might want to consider it. It makes putting 500 pounds behind your neck rather comfortable. :)
  • black_jay
    black_jay Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks that helps!
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Using a guide to help determine proper depth I don’t think is cheating.

One thing that may help is really concentrate on forcing your knees outward when you squat. You may also consider posting a video; there are knowledgeable people who can help iron out any issues.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Box squats is a variation of squatting. It is not "cheating" in a general terms.

I'm not a huge fan of box squats for most lifters unless the individual is training equipped specifically.

If you use box or bench as a indicator for depth with a T&G tap and not rest any part of the load I feel it can be useful.

I think there are better ways to indicate depth on a broad spectrum as a box or bench doesn't allow for exact or optimal depth and can be high or too low.

If you like to post a vid on my "form check" in the gaining weight section of the forums I would be happy to point you in the right direction.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Those are called box squats. It's a legitimate squat variation...it's not cheating because you're not in a powerlifting meet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Box squat. For my clients, I use a small stability ball so they just touch it and not sit on it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    You don't have to squat. It's a great exercise but of it's giving you trouble there are odyssey movements that can hit the same muscles, you might have to do a few to cover everything. I'd suggest working with somebody if you're going to continue squatting, to get your form down perfect, and then making them the first thing you do in a workout because form breaks down with fatigue. Knees are important!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    You don't have to squat. It's a great exercise but of it's giving you trouble there are odyssey movements that can hit the same muscles, you might have to do a few to cover everything. I'd suggest working with somebody if you're going to continue squatting, to get your form down perfect, and then making them the first thing you do in a workout because form breaks down with fatigue. Knees are important!

You don't have to squat with weight but squats are a basic human movement. If you can't squat bodyweight probably need some mobility work.
  • Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    I am also not that good at squatting, mainly due to lack of ankle and hip mobility which I am working on. My squats are not very deep, but I still do them and its definitely not cheating. I don't have anything the right height to box squat with but I think it's a good idea you've got! What your doing is definitely not cheating! If I were you I would take time to work on mobility and form with low weight which should improve depth. Single leg work can help with knee stability too
  • ninerbuff
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

You don't have to squat with weight but squats are a basic human movement. If you can't squat bodyweight probably need some mobility work.
    Well there's DEFINITELY a difference of someone 6ft squatting at a body weight of 180lbs vs someone the same height squatting a body weight of 240lbs. They can have the same muscle mass but heavier person obviously has a higher load on their quads and knees.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Well there's DEFINITELY a difference of someone 6ft squatting at a body weight of 180lbs vs someone the same height squatting a body weight of 240lbs. They can have the same muscle mass but heavier person obviously has a higher load on their quads and knees.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My post was meant to mean squat with just their bodyweight, i.e, no external load, i.e, air squats.
  • ninerbuff

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My post was meant to mean squat with just their bodyweight, i.e, no external load, i.e, air squats.
    Which is why I responded. If someone is very overweight, THEIR BODYWEIGHT may be too much for them to do a body squat. Doesn't have anything to do with mobility work. It's their weight that's the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Which is why I responded. If someone is very overweight, THEIR BODYWEIGHT may be too much for them to do a body squat. Doesn't have anything to do with mobility work. It's their weight that's the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Indeed. My husband is morbidly obese with arthritic knees and he could not do a bodyweight squat to save his life. However, he can do supported squats - either in the swimming pool supported by the water or using a suspension trainer. He was advised to do squats like this by his physiotherapist and it has helped his knees greatly.
  • CMB44512
    CMB44512 Posts: 70 Member
    Good to know I am not cheating on my squats either. Good information.