Elliptical or Treadmill

Options
I would like to purchase either a treadmill or an elliptical. I live in Michigan and winter is just around the corner and I don't see myself running through the snow too often. So, which one should I buy?

Replies

• misslouisee
    misslouisee Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had this decision to make. I went with elliptical trainer as I decided I would have more options of ways to exercise this way. I could run on the roads or stay in and use elliptical trainer. I've always enjoyed using them though so prefer them to running anyway.
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical, simply because of the lower impact on my joints.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's really a matter of personal preference. The idea of a treadmill makes me twitchy, so I have an elliptical.
  • opalescentmirage
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical to the treadmill. I find it more interesting than walking on a treadmill and I burn more calories on the elliptical.
  • becks0127
    Options
    Go with the elliptical. It burns way more calories and is easier on your knees. I have one and love it!
  • nomerebutterfly
    nomerebutterfly Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm an elliptical junkie, but some folks find it hard to put in a sustained effort with it for some odd reason. I could just go go go on the elliptical.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm an elliptical junkie, but some folks find it hard to put in a sustained effort with it for some odd reason. I could just go go go on the elliptical.

The first few times I was on it (and I wasn't out of shape!) I couldn't go five minutes before I felt like I was dying. Now I can go two hours or more. It's difficult at first, but you get used to it (obviously).