Reaching for food as emotional comfort

Options
karylwest
karylwest Posts: 1 Member
Food can provide a temporary comfort. As I've aged, I've realized that I reach for it far too often and have been struggling to come up with why I do so. I live a comfortable life, have my own home, a good job that allows me the safety of working from home for as long as I wish to, enough income to more than pay the bills and then some. I woke this morning from a bad dream in which my own mother had placed me in a nursing home and never once visited me. After having this dream, I started remembering how often she ignored me, or criticized me for either my appearance or abilities. I recalled how I was stuck in the hospital for 2 months as a teenager due to a brain tumor at age 16 and she never visited. I recall how when my dad was dying of cancer that she told me he had tearfully told her how disappointed he was with me. And now, this morning, I'm just coping with all this sadness and feelings of rejection, and just working through them without reaching for something sweet to comfort me. I wonder how many of us just stuff our faces to feel that little glimmer of acceptance that foods give us. I mean, food doesn't reject you, you reject it. So....in that aspect, you can have a bit of control over feeling accepted. I don't know. Probably should speak with a therapist at some point to find a sense of self after years of stuffing these feelings down and pretending that my mother loves me dearly. If any of this chimes within your own experiences, then I want to tell you something that you need to hear: You ARE enough. In fact, you are AMAZING!
Peace and love to you all. Love yourself and be of good support to your body, spirit, and mind.

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've encountered quite an ordeal that no one should have to face. Your attitude, however, is spot on. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • chikadeedoo
    chikadeedoo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You are not alone with the sadness and the challenges in your days. Remember this!

It's not only food that can comfort us. I used to find it hard to reach out to others and share the sadness that consumed me. But throughout the years, for some reason, I realized my sadness has become more "ordinary" and bearable after I let others know how I felt.

I still struggle with food once in a while, but we don't have to be perfect:) Just do whatever you can one day at a time. Be kind to yourself. Allow yourself to make mistakes and try not to criticize yourself if you think you "failed".
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Food is tied up with all sorts of emotions. And it's hard to reach for a salad when you really want Mom's macaroni and cheese with the crusty breadcrumbs.

What I recommend is reaching for a hot beverage when needing some warmth in your tummy. A nice cup of tea or coffee is much more diet friendly and a warm tummy is a comforted tummy.