Help! Activity level

Options
matbas98
matbas98 Posts: 25 Member
Hi guys. As I'm not working at the moment and I usually stay home all the day which activity level should I set on the app?

I even run about 90 mins for 4 days/week.

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd set activity at sedentary and then record the runs as exercise. But others will differ.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you largely sit around OUTSIDE of intentional exercise, you should select sedentary/not very active, then log your intentional exercise.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Sedentary and then log the runs separately.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Remember your running isn't part of your activity setting on MyFitnessPal.
    Sounds like you should select the sedentary activity setting and you would log your running on the days you do it to get a higher allowance those days.

If you are using some other method you need to be guided by their combined activity and exercise descriptions.

You could use the extra time available to you to add some strength / resistance training to your routine which would be very beneficial while losing weight.
  • matbas98
    Options
    Thank you. I decided to put lightly active because I sometimes do walks during my running days off.

MFP set me a goal of 1600 kcal in order to lose 0.5 kcal per week. Isn't it too low considering I'm 163 cm and my weight is 63kg?
  • sijomial
    Options
    matbas98 wrote: »
    Thank you. I decided to put lightly active because I sometimes do walks during my running days off.

MFP set me a goal of 1600 kcal in order to lose 0.5 kcal per week. Isn't it too low considering I'm 163 cm and my weight is 63kg?

Do you mean to lose half a pound or half a kilo?
  • matbas98
    Options
    I mean the intake of calories. Is healthy for me to intake that amount of calories per day?
  • sijomial
    Options
    I mean the intake of calories. Is healthy for me to intake that amount of calories per day?

You pick your calorie amount primarily from the rate of weight loss you select. The faster you choose the less you get to eat.
    If you don't want to go as low as 1600+exercise calories then modify your chosen rate of loss.
    Could it be healthy? Yes
    Could it be making a hard job even harder? Also yes

Remember it's not MFP telling you what to do, it's reacting to what you are asking it to do.
  • Redordeadhead
    Options

Yes but you wrote "to lose 0.5 kcal per week". The question is do you mean lose half a kilogram (kg), or half a pound (lb) per week? As half a kilo is roughly 1 pound, so a faster rate.
  • Redordeadhead
    Options

Do you know how many steps you get, on average, on days when you don't run?
  • matbas98
    Options

Yes but you wrote "to lose 0.5 kcal per week". The question is do you mean lose half a kilogram (kg), or half a pound (lb) per week? As half a kilo is roughly 1 pound, so a faster rate.

Sorry, I meant to lose 0.5 kg per week.
  • matbas98
    Options

Do you know how many steps you get, on average, on days when you don't run?

Mmh not sure tbh.
  • sijomial
    Options

Sorry, I meant to lose 0.5 kg per week.

Which means you are attempting to create roughly 550cal deficit a day.
    If you find that too hard to stick to they you can trade a slower rate of loss but with having a higher food allowance.

Another way to get more to eat is to make deliberate efforts to increase your activity level, move more in your daily life to earn elevating your activity level and hence your calorie allowance.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    ALZ14 wrote: »
    If you largely sit around OUTSIDE of intentional exercise, you should select sedentary/not very active, then log your intentional exercise.

That would be my advise... Now say if you worked a job where you on your feet in a warehouse all day as an example, that would be a whole different story.