the day AFTER you exercise hard

Options
Hey all! Here's my bit: I work out everyday, but some days I push it really hard. The days I work out like normal are fine. I have no problem with staying in my cal limit. The days I work out hard are fine; I also find it easy to stay within my cal limit. The day AFTER I work out hard, I'm STARVING and have a really really hard time staying in my cal limit. I realize this is probably because my metabolism is going strong the day after, but I'm wondering if 1) any others find this to be the same for them, 2) does the "body reset every time you sleep" really apply here? 3) thoughts on how to get through the day after without eating a horse.

<3

(go ravens!)

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    In my humble and ignorant opinion.

1. Yep me too.
    2. Does it? where the hell did these man breasts come from then!?
    3. Low cal things, little and often.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Here's my bit: I work out everyday, but some days I push it really hard. The days I work out like normal are fine. I have no problem with staying in my cal limit. The days I work out hard are fine; I also find it easy to stay within my cal limit. The day AFTER I work out hard, I'm STARVING and have a really really hard time staying in my cal limit. I realize this is probably because my metabolism is going strong the day after, but I'm wondering if 1) any others find this to be the same for them, 2) does the "body reset every time you sleep" really apply here? 3) thoughts on how to get through the day after without eating a horse.

<3

(go ravens!)

Ravens looked great yesterday.

One suggestion that I would have is that if you have certain workout days that are really hard and certain days that are easy and or rest days is to cycle your daily calories. Basically instead of having a static daily calorie goal, set yourself a weekly goal and distribute your daily calorie intake based on your more intense exercise days. For example, if you're suppose to eat 1,200 calories a day that's 8,400 calories a week. Don't eat the 1,200 a day but maybe have 1,500 on the hardest days and 1,100 on off days or something like that. You'll have to play with it a little but it might work for you.
  • lisab64
    Options
    I haven't really paid attention to when my "starving" days happen (so it could be after a high calorie burning day) but if I feel they are legitimate "starving" days (ie just hungry but not for anything in particular {like sweets, chips, unhealthy stuff}) then I eat a little more that day than I normally would. I learned from experience -- spend 2+ days "starving" and finally on the 3rd day I ate over my limit and felt back to normal the next day. I do try to stay w/in a couple hundred calories of my calorie limit but have found that typically I'm not as hungry the following day so I tend to stay those couple hundred calories under.
  • Ruder94
    Ruder94 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem after my hard workouts or my longer runs. I try to increase the lean protein and drink more water those days, but the hunger pains are always still there. I don't starve myself, but it is very difficult to stay within my calorie limit those days too.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yesterday you were 400 calories under goal so today you could easily go 400 over goal and it would average out. I don't rigidly follow the daily calorie limits - its kind of free-flow for me - my goal is to have it all average out over the coarse of the week.