Sugar addict

Options
2»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Iknow, I know. But it adds so much flavor. I’m afraid it weighs down on the side of “well I risk eating this but otoh I’m so much healthier than I was before”. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I get a good sprinkle on my chai two or three times a day, on French toast once or twice a week, and a dollop in my pumpkin pudding several evenings a week. A 37gr jar lasts me a couple of months, and that’s including sharing with husband, so I don’t think I’m in liver killing territory.
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think I have a simialar sugar thing going, but my body REALLY hates it. As in migraine trigger. That helps me stay away, but all my favourite foods were carb-laden baked stuff, and I'd become a decent baker of all the things I loved most to eat. So I'd eat, then get sick, then forget and eat it again and again and again...

It's taken about 5 years for me to get strong about staying away from the stuff, and the only thing I've found that works is replacement. If I try avoidance I fall off the wagon and after that first sweet taste I'm a gonner! If I replace then at least I have something to look forwards to that doesn't do me in.

The replacements I've found are:

HOT plain porridge (oats, milk, salt). It tastes better and better, and has replaced my toast and marmalade breakfast on weekdays.

Really good plain full fat yoghurt. It tastes so unctuous and creamy I feel like I'm getting a treat.

Tea (without milk). Like jasmine tea or white downey tea. Magic appetite suppressant, hot (just realised that's a thing for me) and tasty and satisfying.

Really good quality sourdough bread. It doesn't set off a binge like sweet salty (light and fluffy!!!) yeasty bread does. It also doesn't trigger migraines. Nice to have the option of a bacon and egg sandwich every now and again...

Best of luck x

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Iknow, I know. But it adds so much flavor. I’m afraid it weighs down on the side of “well I risk eating this but otoh I’m so much healthier than I was before”. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I get a good sprinkle on my chai two or three times a day, on French toast once or twice a week, and a dollop in my pumpkin pudding several evenings a week. A 37gr jar lasts me a couple of months, and that’s including sharing with husband, so I don’t think I’m in liver killing territory.

@springlering62, I have zero argument with what others do, with full knowledge; and I think any types are likely fine for most people in normal US intake quantities.

I just worry about people hearing that "cinnamon is healthy" (or "reduces inflammation", "takes away cravings", "levels blood sugar", etc.), and eating it in quantity without realizing that they're effectively increasing blood thinner dosage above carefully-adjusted Coumadin prescription levels, or something like that.

IMU, there are 3-4 common culinary types in the US, Ceylon (Cinnamomum verum), Saigon (C. loureiroi), and "regular", i.e. just labeled "Cinnamon" (usually C. cassia or the cheaper C. burnmannii). (Yeah, I'm a plant geek 😆.) In coumarin content, loureiroi > burmannii > cassia > verum, I believe. But in normal US eating quantities, I think it's reasonable to use whichever one prefers, and that liver/kidney damage is unlikely. (I've read that coumarin level can be a concern during pregnancy for fetal development, in terms of neurological dysfunction, but I'm not sure what intake levels were studied.)

These days I also get cinnamon online, by the pound - also Frontier, BTW. (Great spice brand!) Last year, I ordered a pound in late March, and another in early November. A pound is about 12 of your 37g bottle, so I'm eating a good bit of cinnamon - maybe around twice your intake, I guess? I actually like the milder Ceylon type, but agree the flavor differs so different people will prefer different ones. I get liver function tests fairly regularly (due to cancer history), and there have been no worrisome signs.

(FWIW, I have the same sort of worry when it comes to brazil nuts and selenium: It's possible to be eating what one perceives as a normal amount, but be taking some health risk. On a diet/weight loss site, there are people who seem to think that if some is good, lots is better. With the brazil nuts, there was one OP that thought she'd eat a handful a day, even after hearing that one nut contains roughly the RDA, and an ounce (maybe 7-8 nuts) eaten regularly goes above the USDA tolerable upper limit for regular consumption. Yikes!)

Apologies for the digression, OP.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    My GP actually prescribed one Brazil but a day lol. I did it for a couple of months and then just got aggravated and quit. I don’t know why “one” nut was so irritating, but it was. I mean “one” vitamin isn’t, right? and she’d told me to treat it like a vitamin.