Happy St. Patrick's Day! Irish Soda Bread

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
I've long been aware that the Irish Soda Bread recipe I use from the Joy of Cooking wasn't traditional. While googling to see if I could use oil instead of butter, I found this interesting Q&A.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/entertainment/20080228_Jim_Coleman_.html

I'll keep adding caraway and currants, as that is traditional for me! (I think raisins are too big and too sticky to chop.) I never have buttermilk, but always have yogurt, so I thin it with water and use that instead. I make muffins instead of a loaf.

aq1u8vmobvqq.png
Picture from Recipe Girl

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I usually fake buttermilk by mixing vinegar and milk at a 1:16 ratio (1 tbsp vinegar to each cup of milk, a cup is about 16 tbsp).

I wasn't planning on it but maybe I will make some soda bread this weekend, since I do have almost a whole box of cake flour I need to do something with...
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Yum. I used to do an Irish stew with soda bread every year. I'm not sure why I stopped... I LOVE the currants. I confess that I have never put caraway seeds, even though I have 50% Irish in me. You've inspired me to make this again, and dig out my Joy cookbook!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Had some delicious corned beef and cabbage, potatoes, onions, carrots and Irish-American soda bread!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    How do you deal with all the fat and in corned beef? We, well, my wife actually, makes the boiled dinner, if that what it's called. Corned beef, cabbage, onion, potatoes, carrots in the slow cooker. It's something she insists on making yearly. I pretty much cook the rest of the year for us. But i find all the fat in that dish so off-putting. Is there something that you do to minimize it? I don't cook with much oil or butter, use minimal amount. So not used to this amount of fat in a meal/ dish.
  • kshama2001
    edited March 2021
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    How do you deal with all the fat and in corned beef? We, well, my wife actually, makes the boiled dinner, if that what it's called. Corned beef, cabbage, onion, potatoes, carrots in the slow cooker. It's something she insists on making yearly. I pretty much cook the rest of the year for us. But i find all the fat in that dish so off-putting. Is there something that you do to minimize it? I don't cook with much oil or butter, use minimal amount. So not used to this amount of fat in a meal/ dish.

I've been reducing fat and saturated fat for the past few months but my two dinners with corned beef and veggies cooked in their broth didn't bother my stomach - I thought it was nom nom nom. I did nothing to minimize the fat.

However, the higher fat this week (we had this dinner Tuesday and again yesterday) may have adversely effected the medical condition for which I've been reducing fat and sat fat :(