Are You Over-Eating or Under-Eating?

Options
My question is pretty simple. When factoring your daily caloric needs and macros, do you need to hit just the BMR -total daily calories burned to lose weight or BMR -total daily calories burned plus 500 deficit if wanting to lose 1 pound a week? Need to know if I’m over-eating or under-eating! Maybe you’re wondering the same also?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    I think you're overthinking! Just put your stats into mfp, chose a realistic activity level without exercise, chose a realistic weightloss goal*, eat back at least part of your exercise calories and you're done. When mfp gives you 1500 calories as a man, and 1200 as a woman then your chosen goal is too big as mpf defaults to those numbers. This means your weight loss goal is not achievable.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Don't base your goals on your BMR. That's what you burn just staying in bed all day. When figuring out how much to eat, you want to consider your lifestyle (how much you move through non-intentional exercise) and any exercise you're doing.

If you try to create a deficit based on your BMR, that will result in under-eating for virtually everyone.

• Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I would think the a significant amount of people would say I'm under eating... I eat 1600 on average which is less then half of what MFP is suggesting I eat. But I'm a firm believer in eating at level you would eat to lose weight when near goal weight, WHEN you are extremely over weight. I suspect over time as I eventually get within 50 pounds I'll likely have to eat more to feel satiated and keep energy levels up.

Yes I'm losing way more then 2 pounds a week, probably closer to 5 (and slowly dropping as time goes on). But at my weight 1% of body weight is somewhere over 4 pounds. Unfortunately I refuse to step on scale to find out exactly where I am. (scale tends to kick my butt). I will have to step on it eventually though.

But this is me... I have an abundance of fuel I carry around in my body, i figure why not use it. I'm nearing the end of my 10th week and my energy levels keep rising. This probably isn't true for the average person though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Since I'm not sure how to communicate clearly here, to answer, I'm going to start by clarifying the terminology I'd use.

BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the amount of calories you'd burn in a coma. Calculators will give you a number, but it's only an estimate. Certain tests in a sports/metabolic lab (not gym) can give better estimates. So, BMR as such is not directly a relevant number for weight loss goal-setting, because it doesn't include the calories you burn on your job, doing home chores, etc., let alone exercise calories.

NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) is the number of calories you burn doing daily life stuff, but not exercise. Strictly, IMU, BMR + NEAT (plus some tiny stuff that doesn't matter much) is what MFP estimates with its built in calculator, if a person follows directions and sets activity level based on what they do *before* intentional exercise. Some people here refer to BMR+NEAT just as NEAT, so you'll often see NEAT said when someone means to include BMR as well.

Some outside calculators estimate TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), which is BMR+NEAT+planned exercise. Those average in exercise over the week. Those estimates intend you to eat the same number of calories daily, exercise or not.

When you set up MFP, as per directions, you're asked for a weight loss target, X pounds or kilograms per week.

MFP estimates your BMR, uses your activity level setting to calculate (estimate) BMR+NEAT, then subtracts calories from that to give you a base calorie goal. That base goal already includes the deficit (subtracted calories) to create the weight loss rate you requested, although it won't give a man less than 1500 or a woman less than 1200 because it thinks the person has requested dangerously fast weight loss for their size, basically. (In effect, it gives those people a slower weight loss rate than they requested.)

So, if you set your activity level in MFP based on your life activity *before* exercise, you eat your goal calories on a non-exercise day. On an exercise day, you log the exercise and eat back a reasonable estimate of those calories, too, to keep the same target weight loss rate.

Example, base goal of 1800 calories, with a requested weight loss rate of a pound a week:

MFP thinks you'd burn 2000 calories to maintain your current weight at the time the calculation is made. 500 calories give you your weekly pound a week loss estimate (deficit), so the goal is 1800.

Non exercise day, eat 1800 (or close).

Exercise day, say you burn 250 calories via exercise:
    Daily life total calories 2300 + 250 extra = 2550 calories burned, estimated total. To keep the weight loss, subtract the 500 for deficit, eat 2050 or close. MFP does that math as 1800 base calorie goal (already includes the deficit) + 250 calories exercise = 2050 updated goal.

So, on an exercise day, you eat your base goal calories + a reasonable estimate of exercise calories, and MFP thinks you'll still lose that pound a week.

These are all *estimates*, so you do that for 4-6 weeks, and see if your average weekly weight loss is a pound a week (or close enough). If the first week or two look dramatically different, throw those out and use later weeks. (Sometimes there's a misleading water weight effect right at first). Women should compare bodyweight at the same relative point in two different monthly cycles, but you're a guy, so 4-6 weeks should be enough. If weight loss isn't happening per a reasonable target rate, adjust calorie intake as needed to get there.
  • wowisforstuds1238
    wowisforstuds1238 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I exercise though 6 days a week so does that change you’re “off exercise” days any? And the confusion also came in when I chose activity level I thought that meant my exercise as well. So then in that regard I’m probably over eating slowly over time yes?
  • wowisforstuds1238
    Options
    Also, my activity level itself could be wrong from what I think it should be and what it actually is. For example; if I’m exercising everyday except Sunday then wouldn’t my activity level at the least be considered active or even light active even though I’m disabled vet and I don’t work. And when I’m not exercising. I’m just lounging around. Does that change anything or everything because my activity isn’t correct which you said the app then bases your calories off of?
  • Poobah1972
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I exercise though 6 days a week so does that change you’re “off exercise” days any? And the confusion also came in when I chose activity level I thought that meant my exercise as well. So then in that regard I’m probably over eating slowly over time yes?

If you work in an office and through your normal work day you sitting on your butt most the day... Usually best to pick option one sedentary life style... Then log your exercises as exercises as you can time how long your exercises are etc. If your working in a warehouse all day walking back and forth and handling boxes etc, then you would pick Option 2 or 3 (depends on how active you are at work), But still log your exercise sessions as extra.

Otherwise if you pick an option that has you pretty active thinking your including your exercises, then also log your exercises then you are essentially doubling up on counting your exercise. The math won't look favorably on your waist line.

This all coming from someone that is currently exercising mind you. :hushed:
  • wowisforstuds1238
    Options
    In regards to over thinking I would much rather figure this all out now and go about my fitness journey the right way from the beginning vs. seeing unforeseen consequences further down the road whether over eating or under eating. It is very important in my opinion to understand the solid foundation of what is proper health and diet vs. being confused and paying the price later on.
  • wowisforstuds1238
    Options
    Ok. Let’s use my specific situation. I started the app choosing the active level because I exercise every day and the app doesn’t factor calories for strength training just cardio. So my original calories was set at 1930. But, If I choose not very active my calories then become 1500 and I work out everyday except Sunday. Wouldn’t I need more then that daily?
  • Poobah1972
    Options
    Ok. Let’s use my specific situation. I started the app choosing the active level because I exercise every day and the app doesn’t factor calories for strength training just cardio. So my original calories was set at 1930. But, If I choose not very active my calories then become 1500 and I work out everyday except Sunday. Wouldn’t I need more then that daily?

Well yes, cause if you log your exercise in your daily diary, you should be eating back at least part of your exercise. I'm not sure what a good substitute exercise would be though that would equate to the cardio equivalent of weight lifting. I think I'll step aside and let someone with more knowledge help you out at this point. *Turns and runs our of the room!* :)

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options

We can't say as you've still not provided your stats like current weight, size, goal weight, age. Maybe 1500 is enough for you, maybe you're undereating because you've chosen a too high weight loss goal.

One thing is certain: these are all estimates. Every calorie calculator estimates based on a general population. There are variations to that because bodies are just weird and not made to specs in a factory. That means you might need to figure out what works for you and adjust your calorie intake a bit.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

If your movement is part of your LIFESTYLE then you include it in your activity level - because it's relatively static. Ie: I work a desk top but 5-7 days a week I am doing at least a couple of hours of hiking, swimming, disc, agility - whatever - that involves a heck of a lot of moving at various speeds and difficulty levels. For competition 'season' it's less 2 hours and more 8-10 of on my feet with occasional sprints for 3 out of 7 days. This is a constant state. It is the result not of purposeful exercise, but because I have 5, high energy, herding breeds who are bred to do dog sports.

It would be the same if you were a mom with 2 toddlers you had to run after, or worked a physical job, or biked to and from work. It isn't a thing I make time for, schedule, or make a point to do in order to improve my health. It is the function of daily life, the same as doing the laundry or getting the mail. There is no 'not doing this' option. My life would fall apart and my house would be eaten.

As such this gives me a 'lightly active' TDEE. My weight loss falling in line with MPF recommendation tells me this is right.

The things that are not 'just life' for me - ie: I run 3 days a week and do a couple of days of weight training sessions - those things I make time for, a point of doing outside of 'this is just life', NO MATTER HOW CONSISTENTLY I DO THEM, are logged as exercise, not counted as my activity level. They're not lifestyle, they're what I *consciously* and *actively* decide to do in order to improve fitness or health.

And I eat most of those calories back (well the running, I don't even bother with the strength stuff), because MFP has built my deficit in without the exercise calories.
  • wowisforstuds1238
    Options
    My stats are. 38 year old. 5 foot 6. 213 pounds currently ( down from 234 6 weeks ago). Set goal was 180 pounds in 6-12 months. Expected weight loss per week 2 pounds. If that helps any.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Neither. Find your balance or none of this will stick going forward.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    My stats are. 38 year old. 5 foot 6. 213 pounds currently ( down from 234 6 weeks ago). Set goal was 180 pounds in 6-12 months. Expected weight loss per week 2 pounds. If that helps any.

Basically, you'll know you've got the math about right, however you calculate it, if you're able to lose at the rate you set over time (you may have an off week here or there, but should trend in the direction at about the rate you've set.) The more precise you can be, the more you can predict about where you will be.

2 lbs/week is pretty aggressive, especially as you get closer to goal. I think when you're very heavy at first it is easy to lose a lot of weight very quickly (per these stats you averaged about 3.5 lbs/week), but as you get closer to goal it will get trickier, so you might want to adjust your rate of loss. You will be more comfortable and more likely to stick to it.

It's ok to try something for a few weeks to see if it's a good fit, and adjust as necessary. I've been using a new fitness tracker and letting it adjust my calories for me (my activity level is set at sedentary, and before I wasn't eating the extra calories from the tracker back at all, now I eat back about half.) My next weigh-in is tomorrow, so I'll have another data point if that's going to work for me. If I lost as much as I wanted to (about 1.5 lbs), I'll do it again for another week and see if it continues. The tracker has been giving me a lot of extra calories too, so I might bump up to "lightly active" so I can more accurately prelog food, instead of feeling weird about putting stuff in ahead and being a few hundred in the red before the day even starts.

But it all depends on how you want to do it. There's a lot of ways to get the math to work.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "I started the app choosing the active level because I exercise every day"
    That isn't what the Acivity setting is for - it specifically excludes exercise. Look at the descriptions and you should notice there's no mention of purposeful exercise.

You have described a sedentary/not very active lifestyle.....
    " I’m disabled vet and I don’t work. And when I’m not exercising. I’m just lounging around."

"and the app doesn’t factor calories for strength training just cardio."
    It does if you log it properly - search for strength training in the cardiovascular part of the exercise diary, the strength part is just an online notebook with no calorie functionality.

If you aren't going to use MyFitnessPal as designed I would suggest using a TDEE calculator instead to set your calorie goal which will give you a same everyday calorie goal that includes an estimated average of your exercise.

Do be aware that being sedentary and going for a fast rate of loss will result in a low calorie allowance.
    But you don't have to select a fast rate of loss if that makes adherence too hard.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My question is pretty simple. When factoring your daily caloric needs and macros, do you need to hit just the BMR -total daily calories burned to lose weight or BMR -total daily calories burned plus 500 deficit if wanting to lose 1 pound a week? Need to know if I’m over-eating or under-eating! Maybe you’re wondering the same also?

For starters, this calculator will calculate all of this for you when you put in your stats and desired rate of loss.

Secondly, your BMR is just the calories you burn existing...just being alive...so you don't cut calories from BMR. You cut calories from TDEE or in the case of MFP, from your NEAT by which you then account for exercise (not included in your activity level) by logging it and getting additional calories.

For reference with actual numbers...my BMR is around 1800 calories per day. With my day to day life plus exercise, my TDEE (maintenance) is right around 3,000 calories per day. I average anywhere from about 2300-2500 calories per day in total intake and lose on average about 1 Lb per week. I am not overly fat and only have about 10 Lbs of my COVID 20 left to lose, so 1 Lb per week is perfect. If I was eating just to my BMR, I would be famished and lethargic as I do not have the fat stores to compensate for that low of a calorie intake.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Yes, it seems like you incorrectly chose the active setting.

The way it works is that the activity setting is your activity not including intentional exercise. So if you have an active job or walk a bunch in daily life, you might want active. If you are largely sedentary but for planned exercise and log the exercise, go with sedentary. If somewhat in-between, choose that.

Also, you can log strength training, although it typically doesn't burn a bunch of cals. Just search for it where you would search for biking or running. That's probably the best option.

1500 could mean you chose an overly aggressive loss rate, which is a concern especially if you aren't particularly overweight and trying to maintain or gain muscle. Too aggressive a loss rate makes muscle loss more likely. Anyway, if you log cals from exercise it shouldn't be 1500 any more.

I lose about 1 lb/week on 1500 (I normally eat more), and I'm 5'3, 51, and around 128, so presumably you would do well on more than 1500.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

If you want to eat the same number of calories daily, and include your average exercise in your activity level, don't use MFP to set your calorie goal. Use a TDEE calculator that's intended to work that way, because the math behind the scenes is a little different. This is about the clearest TDEE calculator I've found, in terms of number of activity levels and clearness of their descriptions, though the screen is a bit cluttered.

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Fill in the "weight loss calculator" part near the bottom to have it calculate a deficit and deficit goal.

Even better is this spreadsheet from an expert fellow MFP member:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

If you use those methods, you *don't* eat back exercise, because it's already averaged in.

To the bolded specifically:

If you want MFP to set your calories, you should *not* include exercise when you choose your activity level, and you *should* log and eat back a reasonable estimate of exercise in addition to the basic MFP calorie estimate. If you do that, you will get more than 1500 calories to eat on any day when you exercise.

If you prefer to eat the same number of calories every day, then use a TDEE calculator like those I mentioned above, then set your MFP calorie goal manually and eat those same calories daily. If you want to eat different amounts depending on whether you exercised or not, put in your accurate before-exercise activity level, and let MFP calculate your calorie goal, then log and eat exercise, too. Two different methods.

If you sit around except for exercise, you may want the "sedentary"/"not very active" level. If you have a fitness tracker (Fitbit, Garmin, etc.) and have an idea of your step count, that activity level would be (roughly) less than 5000 steps daily. Some people are "lightly active" just from what they do around the house, especially if they have a dog, kids, etc.

No matter the method, follow it for 4-6 weeks and then adjust. Generally, you know you're not undereating when you see a sensible weight loss rate play out on the scale. (It's possible to undereat so far that a person gets fatigued, does less, and loses more slowly than expected. Don't do that, either.)
    Also, my activity level itself could be wrong from what I think it should be and what it actually is. For example; if I’m exercising everyday except Sunday then wouldn’t my activity level at the least be considered active or even light active even though I’m disabled vet and I don’t work. And when I’m not exercising. I’m just lounging around. Does that change anything or everything because my activity isn’t correct which you said the app then bases your calories off of?

When you're talking to MFP, you use its definition of "active" may not be your everyday English definition. MFP's setting is intended to be your activity BEFORE you consider exercise. You may be "active" if you're using the word in ordinary conversation with your buddy, but if you want to use MFP as designed, use its definition. (It's a little like learning a foreign language!). If you don't want to use the MFP method/definition, set your calorie level as described above, manually, using a TDEE calculator.

Two different methods. Two different sets of definitions.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Neither.

I've successfully been in maintenance for the past 5 years and remaining in maintenance requires that you neither eat too much nor too little.

Of course, there have been variations but, since I log all my cals on MFP and weigh myself daily, I have always been able to make necessary corrections in order remain w/in my desired weight range.