Help me with working out in the morning!

Options
ali2b
ali2b Posts: 6 Member
I love to workout, but my work schedule has gone insane and the only time I have is early in the morning-which I hate. I really need motivation to get my butt up early and get it done!

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Set your alarm. Get out of bed. Feet on floor. Tell yourself how lucky you are that you GET to workout, not HAVE to workout. Build a routine.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Here you go...

🗣️ GET YOUR BUTT UP EARLY AND GET IT DONE!

When all else fails, go listen to someone like David Goggins yell at you with loving, masochistic condescension for 90 minutes: https://www.spreaker.com/user/podcasting_407/36-stay-hard-mp3cut-net
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Just make it part of your daily routine. I used to hate anything more than yoga first thing. I thought jumping around gave me a headache, lol. I slowly increased the pace and length of my workouts over time. I now look forward to my 45-55 min workout each morning. And I don't mind jumping around😁 Find something you like and make a plan. Just do it!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Adapt your daily schedule so that you're still getting enough sleep. I think it's probably true that some of us just naturally gravitate toward being night owls or early birds, but it'll be even more difficult to get out of bed if you're sleep deprived.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    The night before:

1. Lay out your workout clothes
    2. Pack your work clothes, shower necessities, etc and food for the next day.

When your alarm goes off, gym clothes on, brush teeth and GO before your brain realizes what you’re doing!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ali2b wrote: »
    I love to workout, but my work schedule has gone insane and the only time I have is early in the morning-which I hate. I really need motivation to get my butt up early and get it done!

Motivation is over-rated. Embrace the suck and get to work. On the other side of discomfort is growth so go get it...
  • WaterLily82
    WaterLily82 Posts: 165 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I agree! Motivation might be what gets you started doing early morning workouts but to really stick with it you need discipline. Change is hard. Mornings are HARD! But you just gotta go get it if you really want it. Adjust your sleep schedule so you can wake up early and still get plenty of sleep, have all your workout stuff ready to go the night before, set the alarm, wake up and GO! I bet you’ll feel so proud and energized the rest of the day. That feeling will motivate you to keep doing it. Then on a day when you wake up exhausted, not wanting to workout, go anyway. Remind yourself what you’re doing it for, remember that glow of accomplishment it gives you, make it a habit. You’ve got this! You just need to take that first step.
  • xsharonthegreatx
    xsharonthegreatx Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Yo, definitely wake up and work out. But remember to also take rest days. Plan your work out routine and schedule rest days. Your "treat" for getting up and moving 4 to 5 maybe even 6 days a week is a day to sleep in. It's all about balance.

Also not sure why it's not showing my profile picture. I definitely set one.
  • ZNnerissa
    ZNnerissa Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just decide to do it. You do it whether you feel like it or not. Make it a non negotiable, like going to work. Tell yourself why it is important... more important than any lack of motivation. Once you have been doing it for a few weeks, it will just be part of your day.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    IF you can force yourself do it for 2 straight weeks, it will start to become habit, and eventually normal life. (It's the starting part that is always the toughest part.)
  • teamhugcpt
    teamhugcpt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to be a dance coach, and I had an entire program on making practicing in the morning into a reliable habit.

I agree with everybody above that it gets MUCH easier once you get used to it, but there's a lot you can do to get you through the transition period besides "just do it".

Is the main issue getting out of bed or actually working out? (For me it was both.)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    IF you can force yourself do it for 2 straight weeks, it will start to become habit, and eventually normal life. (It's the starting part that is always the toughest part.)

Yep. I look at my morning training less as exercise and more as a morning routine. It's just what I do now.

It's all a head game...
  • charkendrick
    charkendrick Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I read that Taraji P. Henson (I love her!) does 15 minutes of cardio each morning. 15 minutes is really not bad. I do that on days I work and longer on days off. I also have worked up to jogging on the treadmill. For some reason, a slow jog seems easier than brisk walking. Finally, I have my lunch and clothes ready so that once I shower after the workout I can go.
  • babarxohail6
    babarxohail6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get physic like the rock in next 3 years but my ultimate goal is Ronnie Coleman.