Advice

Options
27, F, 157cm & 59kg.

So I've started eating 1200 calories a day for the past 19 days. Each day I do between 6k-10k of walking and have recently started jogging. I am seeing absolutely no change to the scale.

I'm becoming super discouraged and like nothing is working, I know everyone is different and your body takes a while to catch up but surely I should be seeing some results by now?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    27, F, 157cm & 59kg.

So I've started eating 1200 calories a day for the past 19 days. Each day I do between 6k-10k of walking and have recently started jogging. I am seeing absolutely no change to the scale.

I'm becoming super discouraged and like nothing is working, I know everyone is different and your body takes a while to catch up but surely I should be seeing some results by now?

do you weigh your food?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    27, F, 157cm & 59kg.

Absolutely no change as in the scale is giving identical readings every time? Or it's moving up and down a bit? 19 days worth identical readings could indicate a scale problem.

In addition to the question above about how you are measuring your intake, you may also need to give it more time. It's been less than 3 weeks and if the exercise is new, or you're eating more carbs/fibre/salt, or depending on where you are in your menstrual cycle, you may also have some water retention.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    At your size, which is around 5'2" and 130 pounds for other people like me who live in places with whacky measurement schemes, and with that exercise, I'd expect you to burn close to 2000 calories a day, maybe more. IMO, 1200 calories is too few, and can be counter-productive. At BMI 23.8, trying to lose 0.5 pounds a week (1750 calories), certainly no more than 1 pound (1500 calories) would be a better idea.

You probably have some water weight from the new exercise (etc., as described above). You may have increased the water retention by having a big calorie deficit (1.6 pounds a week, roughly), and caused some subtle fatigue/slowing that cuts your calorie expenditure (and could lead to unpleasant things like hair thinning, in the longer run, if not worse).

I'm not trying to be mean here. Try to think of me as a concerned old internet auntie, wanting you to achieve your weight goals, but stay healthy, vibrant, and attractive while doing it.

Oh, and: Keep both forms of exercise. Both are good for your health. Yes, cardio burns more calories per minute, but strength training tends to have better payoff for appearance, and builds strength that's very useful in daily life. As a li'l ol' lady, I've seen what happens to friends who don't keep up their strength and muscle mass over the years, and that's not what you want long term, I assure you.

Hang in there, moderate your tactics, keep it sustainable and easy to continue . . . then continue, patiently.

Wishing you all the best!