How fast can i consume calories in a day?

Options
Rvasq114
Rvasq114 Posts: 10 Member
Hello, I normally wake up at 12 pm because I work at night. I find it hard to meet my 1500 a day. i get too full to finish by the end of the night. i average about 800 calories a night.

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods - nuts, cheese, avocado, a portion of dried fruit, use oils in your cooking etc. Under-eating is really not good for you.

Plenty of people do OMAD, which is One Meal A Day, so they're consuming all their cals in one meal. Others prefer to spread their food consumption out over a longer period of time. Even working at night wouldn't/shouldn't stop you eating. I assume you get at least one break during your working shift that equates to most people's 'lunchtime'. Have a snack, even if you don't feel like a full meal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    As I ate three meals when I worked at night I'd need more details in order to be able to help. I ate before work, at work, and after work.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Hello, I normally wake up at 12 pm because I work at night. I find it hard to meet my 1500 a day. i get too full to finish by the end of the night. i average about 800 calories a night.

Are you up less time than you otherwise would be? Are you unable to eat at work? When do you eat and what do you eat? I'm really not understanding the difficulty.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I worked 12 hour night shifts for years. I ate a meal before I went to work, a meal during work, and a meal when I got home. How often are you eating? What are you eating?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've worked 3rd shift and I found it helped to think of my "day" as beginning when I woke up and ending when I went to sleep. So instead of focusing on my calories for the day needing to be consumed by midnight, I'd have "dinner" around 2 AM and sometimes a snack before I went to sleep around 7:30-8 AM.

You have as many hours in the day as someone working another schedule, they're just in a different arrangement. There's no need to rush. You can still have a regularly spaced breakfast, lunch, and dinner, if you like. I also had co-workers who sort of fell into a 1-2 meal a day pattern because that worked best for them. But they didn't focus on eating it before midnight.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Are you up less time than you otherwise would be? Are you unable to eat at work? When do you eat and what do you eat? I'm really not understanding the difficulty.

Same here, I don't get it either. I'm thinking if that were the case, OP would be tired, lack energy, etc. 800 calories a day won't leave a person with much energy for very long. So possibly the count is off? IDK
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be a challenge thread.

IKR?? :) I thought, ooh I can do this one! :)
  • nks80
    nks80 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    1500 calories a day for a man? Surely that is not enough?
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You can add a protein shake with peanut butter, oats, linseed, berrys etc. Easily consumed and easily adjusted to the calories you are missing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the post.

Are you eating 800 calories per day and you are saying you're too full to eat more? Or, something else?

When I was working 3rd shift I ate before, during and after. . .

If you can't eat, I'd see a doctor.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    So you say you're eating 800 calories total a day? How do you actually know this..are you weighing the food/measuring/buying individual portions?
    If you're sure that your calorie count here is accurate and you're so full on that small amount, I'd also echo the above about seeing a doctor.

I do have to ask though...I'm assuming you're trying to lose weight, ao what was your diet like before that caused the weight gain?
  • Rvasq114
    Options
    I was eating 800 now I started eating about 1200 a day. it just gets difficult when you are full.
  • Rvasq114
    Options
    So you say you're eating 800 calories total a day? How do you actually know this..are you weighing the food/measuring/buying individual portions?
    If you're sure that your calorie count here is accurate and you're so full on that small amount, I'd also echo the above about seeing a doctor.

I do have to ask though...I'm assuming you're trying to lose weight, ao what was your diet like before that caused the weight gain?

I'm trying to lose weight. I'm just trying to make sure I am doing it the right way.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? I can't believe a full-grown man is full after eating only 800-1200 calories a day.
  • Rvasq114
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? I can't believe a full-grown man is full after eating only 800-1200 calories a day.

i just bought one today. i will get one by monday
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Rvasq114 wrote: »

I'm trying to lose weight. I'm just trying to make sure I am doing it the right way.

If you're only eating 800-1200 calories a day and you're male, no you're not doing it the right way. 1500 is the minimum that any male should be eating and that would only apply if you're short and not particularly heavy / don't have much weight to lose to begin with.
  • Rvasq114
    edited March 2021
    Options

If you're only eating 800-1200 calories a day and you're male, no you're not doing it the right way. 1500 is the minimum that any male should be eating and that would only apply if you're short and not particularly heavy / don't have much weight to lose to begin with.

I'm 5'2 I was 249 lb and worked my way to 240lb since using this app and tracking my calories.
  • Rvasq114
    Options

I'm 5'2 I was 249 lb and worked my way to 240lb since using this app and tracking my calories.

• Rvasq114
    Options
    also 1500 is what the app put for me when I entered my information.