Strange weigh change

Options
Hi everyone.
I'm eating 1600 kcal per day and my weigh is dropping week by week.

But how come that yesterday my weigh was 62 kg in the morning and today it's 62.8 kg? I weighed at the same time as yesterday.

Yesterday I went to play football if this helps.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates from day to day, perfectly normal.

One possible cause: playing football. Your muscle might be retaining water for muscle repair.

You might want to read this:
    https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Possible causes for day-to-day fluctuation:
    - Exercise causing water retention
    - Salty foods causing water retention
    - Heavier meals than usual
    - Drank more liquid than usual -> more urine inside you than usual
    - Drank less/sweat more than usual -> if you’re dehydrated, your body will ironically try to hold on to those fluids, causing retention
    - Irregular bowel movements -> more poop inside you than usual
    - Hormone-related fluid retention (based on your profile pic, menstrual cycle stuff is unlikely, but useful to mention for others maybe reading this thread)
    - Different eating schedule than usual, so you’ve had less time to digest and poop out the waste

Either weigh in weekly instead of daily, or get a weight trend app to smooth out these fluctuations.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    g8xmtvdd05ib.jpg
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The above is correct about fluctuations.

Also, 1600 may he too low for you. On your previous thread, you said your goal was 1970 kcal to lose 0.5kg per week, why did you reduce it? Are you eating back your exercise calories on top?

• matbas98
    matbas98 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Also, 1600 may he too low for you. On your previous thread, you said your goal was 1970 kcal to lose 0.5kg per week, why did you reduce it? Are you eating back your exercise calories on top?

Hi again! Because I figured out that apart from my running exercises of 4 times per week, I mostly stay home during the day.
    By writing another post and mentioning that, people adviced me to select "no active" in my activity option in the app. Because apparently voluntary exercise doesn't count for the app. Here we go that it came out I need to eat 1600 kcal. Do you agree with that? Thank you.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    matbas98 wrote: »

Hi again! Because I figured out that apart from my running exercises of 4 times per week, I mostly stay home during the day.
    By writing another post and mentioning that, people adviced me to select "no active" in my activity option in the app. Because apparently voluntary exercise doesn't count for the app. Here we go that it came out I need to eat 1600 kcal. Do you agree with that? Thank you.

I would agree with the “not very active” setting but 1600 calories is low for a man (assuming you are a man). You may be setting your goal too aggressively. If you are going to stay at 1600 then your really should be eating back at least half of your exercise calories.

• matbas98
    matbas98 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ALZ14 wrote: »
    matbas98 wrote: »

I would agree with the “not very active” setting but 1600 calories is low for a man (assuming you are a man). You may be setting your goal too aggressively. If you are going to stay at 1600 then your really should be eating back at least half of your exercise calories.

Yes, I eat half of my exercise calories back.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Weight absolutely fluctuates for many reasons. Exercise sometimes makes weight spike upwards occasionally due to water retention. You definitely did not gain nearly 1kg in one day, especially if your eating has been consistent. I have had a few days when my weight spiked up nearly 4lbs simply because I had a real salty meal. When I started cycling again, I gained 2 lbs as my thigh muscles were rock solid for a week or so as the muscles were repairing. It all eventually evens out. Stay true to your plan

Secondly, I agree with your decision to set activity level to low, entering exercise calories as they occur. Eat back some of them, I usually eat about 25% because I do not trust the inflated estimates on the cardio machines I use and it seems to be working out well for me. I also eat about 1600 cals a day (and whatever exercise calories I earn on top of that)
  • qhob_89
    qhob_89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    According to your profile, you started here March 8. Is that when you started weight loss efforts? Or just started using the app? IME (and a handful of others I’ve seen here) the weight seems to come of quickly the first couple weeks, and slows down around week 3 to a more steady pace. I would suggest really thinking about your non-exercise activity and if you should really be at “not active.” I don’t exercise, am pretty inactive (32F, 5’4”) and was able to lose at a decent rate on 1600 calories. Good that you’re eating back exercise calories!

Aside from double checking your settings- scale fluctuations are totally normal! As a woman, my scale can fluctuate up to 5lbs day to day! I weigh straight from bed, after bathroom, no clothes every morning. That used to throw me off and be really disheartening. But these forums taught me fluctuations due to water weight, big meal, TOM, food in transit, hormones, etc, etc, etc are to be expected and weighing daily I can follow the trend. I can tell after a few days if I need to tighten up what I’m eating or if it was just normal fluctuations.
    Another helpful thing I’ve read on the forums is... Did I eat 3500 calories over maintenance yesterday?! No, okay that was not a lb of fat I gained... it’s another explanation and will likely be gone in the next couple days. To gain back .8 lbs of fat you’d have to eat around 2800 calories over maintenance... I doubt you did that!
    Good luck!