Breakfast Ideas

Hi team, I have been having a year of up downs but a positive net outcome. From 249 pounds to 213 pounds. Now I'm flat around this level. I'm training harder than ever in my life and I actually feel awesome. My body after Christmas when I started training really hard has really started changing. I lost already one pant size but I still need to lose another 32 pounds.

So to the nutrition. I do intermittent fasting. My issues are 2 fold, I'm doing diet from Monday to Thursday both included but then Friday and Saturday lunchtime I binge eat and drink and dessert. I'm still though keeping the intermittent fasting 7 days a week.

Conclusion, what I lose in the week, I then regain those 3 days.

The second issue is that I'm Mr.Sandwich. I love bread and eat tons. So what I've done this time is eat for breakfast a sandwich, normally a tuna one. 2 small 60grs cans of tune in olive oil, vinegar and bread.

So my plan is to do 1 week with no bread in breakfast and no binge eating.

My alternative breakfast is egg white omellette with veggies, onion, etc...Trying not to eat too much cholesterol also, so I don't want to do the full Bacon / Eggs / Cheese keto.

Any advice and / or breakfast ideas ?

Thanks team

Rob.
«1

Replies

  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 623 Member
    My choice is always porridge, filling, nutritious, I have fruit and nut butter on mine but the toppings are limitless.

    If your used to the carbs from bread it might be a good alternative.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,633 Member
    any food can be breakfast. You prove that point by eating a tuna sandwich for breakfast LOL i dont eat breakfast regularly. I find if I do, I'm starving all day, in most cases. My lunch is earlier in the day than many people take it. But I'm also up at 4am. So a 10am lunch for me, would be, relatively speaking, a later lunch for someone who got up at 7 or 8 am LOL

    losing weight is all about calorie reduction. You dont have to do IF. I'd go stark raving mad and be a *kitten* to be around. id also binge and end up over eating and never lose any weight, at least not that would stay off.


    shn7lmfujvs9.jpg
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Hi- I have to eat low fat for medical reasons. On my working days it's a long time before lunch. So either I fuel up or I end up snacking too much.
    For the last 2 weeks I've been making protein overnight oats.
    I used half a tub of fat -free greek yoghurt (200g) mixed with a half portion of protein powder (18g for the one I line best: Time4Nutrition) mix together & I layered: yoghurt/oats/yoghurt/oats/yoghurt with some frozen raspberries on top- seal jar & refrigerate until morning. Raspberries have defrosted. I used 30g of porridge oats.

    I got the idea from seeing a recipe for Protein porridge but I didn't want to be cooking early morning.
    The other thing I'm doing is trying to eat in a 12 hour window.
    I'm limiting my bread intake drastically but not cutting it out totally.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    The idea is to eat less of things you like. If McD can make a Egg/bacon/muffin for 300 calories, you can too. Or just go there.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    The idea is to eat less of things you like. If McD can make a Egg/bacon/muffin for 300 calories, you can too. Or just go there.

    This^

    Batch cook on the weekends. 9x9 pan - I do 9 eggs + 9 egg whites. Season as you like and bake. Cut into 9 squares and store in the freezer, use zip-lock bags.

    The night before work, take a baggie out of the freezer and place in the fridge. In the a.m. reheat the egg square while you're toasting your English muffin. The really nice thing is you can add onions, peppers to the egg bake. Use pepper jack cheese on your sandwich. Mix things up.

    English muffins come in high fiber and whole wheat. Pick what you like.

    Breakfast burritos are nice too. Lots of options: low carb, or lower calorie here.

    Greek yogurt parfaits are nice with yogurt, berries, and a sprinkle of Fiber One or Kashi Go Lean.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 6,501 Member
    My breakfast this morning: turkey bacon and cottage cheese and oatmeal waffles.
    I know you said no bread, but these are made with oatmeal not wheat, and they fill me up without making me want more.
    Also, there is a big difference in calories of tuna packed in oil and tuna packed in water. Have you tried tuna in water?
    But it sounds like you’ll see a big difference when you stop your big binge meals.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,612 Member
    Cottage cheese. Greek Yogurt. Oatmeal. Cream of wheat.

    THAT SAID there is some low cal bread that I used while I was getting into a groove. It's not great but it's passable toasted and doing an egg or tuna sandwich on it would be fine. It's 35-45 cal, depending. At this point I just eat the regular stuff. My habits changed in a way to accommodate some higher cal stuff and for me the bread I prefer was one of the things most worth the calorie hit.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,892 Member
    How many cals are you aiming for? With only two meals, I'd assume quite a few.

    I also do a 2 meal style of IF. Usually I have lunch and dinner, but on the weekends it's often brunch (and lunch is often breakfast-style food anyway).* My favorite breakfast is a 2 or 3 egg omelet with lots of vegetables (it ends up being not really a traditional omelet, but still tasty) -- yesterday's was chard, leek, zucchini, and green pepper, but it depends what I have on hand. I usually add a little feta too, and then choose what's on the side based on desired cals. Yesterday I had a pear, some cottage cheese (low fat), and smoked salmon. (Yeah, egg yokes have cholesterol, but I don't personally see a reason to avoid them and always eat the whole egg.)

    Not low cal, but if you are aiming for something like 300 cal or less (an egg white omelet with veg will be quite low cal), that could explain the difficulty controlling your eating later in the day, IMO, if you are doing what is supposed to be a 2 meal schedule.

    There's also the option of ignoring the time of day and eating whatever you would eat for another meal, if it sounds good.

    *Unlike you, bread is not an issue for me, usually I think it's overrated and I tend to prefer what I might have in a sandwich without the bread, and I never have bread with breakfast unless at a restaurant. But bread doesn't have to be a problem if you love it and find it satisfying, I'd just make sure you are including enough protein and fat too.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    My choice is always porridge, filling, nutritious, I have fruit and nut butter on mine but the toppings are limitless.

    If your used to the carbs from bread it might be a good alternative.

    I'm trying to go low on carbsbut I may try it at some point.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    any food can be breakfast. You prove that point by eating a tuna sandwich for breakfast LOL i dont eat breakfast regularly. I find if I do, I'm starving all day, in most cases. My lunch is earlier in the day than many people take it. But I'm also up at 4am. So a 10am lunch for me, would be, relatively speaking, a later lunch for someone who got up at 7 or 8 am LOL

    losing weight is all about calorie reduction. You dont have to do IF. I'd go stark raving mad and be a *kitten* to be around. id also binge and end up over eating and never lose any weight, at least not that would stay off.


    shn7lmfujvs9.jpg

    Agree, for me Intermittent Fasting is a way of eliminating one meal and therefore the calories. But also if I have dinner then I sleep worst, more trips to the lavatory, etc...

    The binges are more in the weekend as a kind of prize but 3 days really is too much and maybe should be only once per week.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    JoDavo66 wrote: »
    Hi- I have to eat low fat for medical reasons. On my working days it's a long time before lunch. So either I fuel up or I end up snacking too much.
    For the last 2 weeks I've been making protein overnight oats.
    I used half a tub of fat -free greek yoghurt (200g) mixed with a half portion of protein powder (18g for the one I line best: Time4Nutrition) mix together & I layered: yoghurt/oats/yoghurt/oats/yoghurt with some frozen raspberries on top- seal jar & refrigerate until morning. Raspberries have defrosted. I used 30g of porridge oats.

    I got the idea from seeing a recipe for Protein porridge but I didn't want to be cooking early morning.
    The other thing I'm doing is trying to eat in a 12 hour window.
    I'm limiting my bread intake drastically but not cutting it out totally.

    I like this idea of the breakfast batch cooking. Maybe I apply it with egg whites and see what comes out. The oats I'll leave out as I'm trying to do low carb.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    The idea is to eat less of things you like. If McD can make a Egg/bacon/muffin for 300 calories, you can too. Or just go there.

    This^

    Batch cook on the weekends. 9x9 pan - I do 9 eggs + 9 egg whites. Season as you like and bake. Cut into 9 squares and store in the freezer, use zip-lock bags.

    The night before work, take a baggie out of the freezer and place in the fridge. In the a.m. reheat the egg square while you're toasting your English muffin. The really nice thing is you can add onions, peppers to the egg bake. Use pepper jack cheese on your sandwich. Mix things up.

    English muffins come in high fiber and whole wheat. Pick what you like.

    Breakfast burritos are nice too. Lots of options: low carb, or lower calorie here.

    Greek yogurt parfaits are nice with yogurt, berries, and a sprinkle of Fiber One or Kashi Go Lean.

    I like this idea of the breakfast batch cooking. Maybe I apply it with egg whites and see what comes out. The oats I'll leave out as I'm trying to do low carb.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 623 Member
    My choice is always porridge, filling, nutritious, I have fruit and nut butter on mine but the toppings are limitless.

    If your used to the carbs from bread it might be a good alternative.

    I'm trying to go low on carbsbut I may try it at some point.

    It would have been helpful to.mention that in the first place.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    My breakfast this morning: turkey bacon and cottage cheese and oatmeal waffles.
    I know you said no bread, but these are made with oatmeal not wheat, and they fill me up without making me want more.
    Also, there is a big difference in calories of tuna packed in oil and tuna packed in water. Have you tried tuna in water?
    But it sounds like you’ll see a big difference when you stop your big binge meals.

    Hi yes I've tried Tuna in water and it's so yucky that I'd rather starve to death than eat it. But I will leave the Tuna from tomorrow and I'm moving to omellete's, so basically no sandwiches. I'm going to try this full week and see how I feel at the end of it.

    Agree on the binge meals. That has to stop.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    How many cals are you aiming for? With only two meals, I'd assume quite a few.

    I also do a 2 meal style of IF. Usually I have lunch and dinner, but on the weekends it's often brunch (and lunch is often breakfast-style food anyway).* My favorite breakfast is a 2 or 3 egg omelet with lots of vegetables (it ends up being not really a traditional omelet, but still tasty) -- yesterday's was chard, leek, zucchini, and green pepper, but it depends what I have on hand. I usually add a little feta too, and then choose what's on the side based on desired cals. Yesterday I had a pear, some cottage cheese (low fat), and smoked salmon. (Yeah, egg yokes have cholesterol, but I don't personally see a reason to avoid them and always eat the whole egg.)

    Not low cal, but if you are aiming for something like 300 cal or less (an egg white omelet with veg will be quite low cal), that could explain the difficulty controlling your eating later in the day, IMO, if you are doing what is supposed to be a 2 meal schedule.

    There's also the option of ignoring the time of day and eating whatever you would eat for another meal, if it sounds good.

    *Unlike you, bread is not an issue for me, usually I think it's overrated and I tend to prefer what I might have in a sandwich without the bread, and I never have bread with breakfast unless at a restaurant. But bread doesn't have to be a problem if you love it and find it satisfying, I'd just make sure you are including enough protein and fat too.

    Thanks for the cooking tips, I like the Feta idea. I prefer not to have dinner as I sleep worst.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,892 Member
    My idea was not that you should have dinner (just saying I do), but that you can eat dinner type food for breakfast, if that makes it easier. I am curious how many cals you are aiming for (total, and for your first meal), as an egg-white omelet IME is quite low cal, and that could relate to the issues with snacking or binging.
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    My idea was not that you should have dinner (just saying I do), but that you can eat dinner type food for breakfast, if that makes it easier. I am curious how many cals you are aiming for (total, and for your first meal), as an egg-white omelet IME is quite low cal, and that could relate to the issues with snacking or binging.

    Hi Lermur I haven’t counted the exact calories, but I know doing this system allows me to lose slowly, steadily, that is without the binging of course.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I think lemurcat's point was that you don't have to eat breakfast food for breakfast. There's no law that says you have to eat eggs and bacon for your first meal.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited March 2021
    My breakfast this morning: turkey bacon and cottage cheese and oatmeal waffles.
    I know you said no bread, but these are made with oatmeal not wheat, and they fill me up without making me want more.
    Also, there is a big difference in calories of tuna packed in oil and tuna packed in water. Have you tried tuna in water?
    But it sounds like you’ll see a big difference when you stop your big binge meals.

    Hi yes I've tried Tuna in water and it's so yucky that I'd rather starve to death than eat it. But I will leave the Tuna from tomorrow and I'm moving to omellete's, so basically no sandwiches. I'm going to try this full week and see how I feel at the end of it.

    Agree on the binge meals. That has to stop.

    Tuna in water is but one canned fish choice. Try Polar Salmon in water. Its a bit fishy but, IMO, pleasantly so. I like it on a bit of Basmati rice or in a salad of greens.

    dwwzhvd475sv.jpeg
  • Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    Update team, one week passed. Managed to do it Alcohol free, big change. So the binges also excluded dessert minus one day, Still too much food mainly saturday but much better. Omelette's for breakfast 4 days and then went back to some bread with salmon as I was basically dead energy wise. Actually thursday I went a 6 a.m.to the gym on an empty stomach and did a spinning session and got quite dizzy and my blood pressure got messed up. I had to lie down, all day and had first very low pressure and then very high. I ate again bread and 2 days after I was ok. Anyhow, no more empty stomach gym, I'll eat a banana prior.