Confusion about calories vs net calories

Options
lynnethomas_218
lynnethomas_218 Posts: 9 Member
edited March 2021 in Food and Nutrition
I hopped back on the MFP train about six weeks ago. I've been logging everything religiously, not cheating (even quit wine three weeks ago. Major sacrifice for me), and I also added in about 45 mins of Tai Bo, along with a 30 minute walk, almost everyday. Problem is, NOTHING is happening. Zero. No movement on the scale or my clothes. My question is, should I be adding calories to compensate for my exersize? I lost a quick four pounds as soon as I quit alcohol but that's it. And I'm hungry which did not happen last year when I followed the rules (and had lots of wine) and lost 10 pounds last spring. I'm supposed to be at 1200 calories a day, and am usually slightly under that. I've been lazy keto for about three years and am enjoying that way of eating. I'm scared to add calories. Any helpful suggestions? I.F. isn't working this time around either (it did a year ago, when my only exersize was walking). HELP!!! Thanks for your input.

Replies

• Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories? If you’re aiming for 1200 calories you have to be very accurate and should use a food scale. Estimates and measuring cups aren't accurate. 1200 is the absolute minimum you should be eating without doctor oversight, so you really should try to hit that number every day and not eat less than that. You should eat back exercise calories, but it can be difficult to judge how much you are burning accurately, so many people do just eat back half of what MFP says you burned for a particular exercise- you can experiment and see what works for you.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    So wait...you said there has been zero movement, but then you said you lost 4 lbs? I'm a little confused there, because that sounds like you have lost 4 lbs in 6 weeks, which isn't zero movement...unless I'm misunderstanding.

In addition to the question above about weighing food, what is your height, starting weight and how much are you trying to lose? How many lbs per week have you set your loss? 1200 is a really low amount of calories, and definitely for an active person. If you got the 1200 calorie goal from MFP, that's usually a pretty good sign that your weight loss goal is too aggressive for your current size (i.e., people trying to lose 2 lbs per week when they are not obese). MFP never goes below 1200 calories for women, no matter what you select.

If you're in the healthy weight range trying to lose vanity pounds, for instance, weight loss is going to be very slow. IF would have only "worked" in the past because you were in a calorie deficit. It doesn't do anything magical in and of itself.

One thing to note is that if your exercise routines are new, that can cause additional water weight retention that can mask fat loss (don't know at what point in the 6 weeks you added these routines in). Also with women, hormones can come into play. Lots of things can conspire against us sometimes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, Dragon_girl...not that you need my approval.

^^everything she said. :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, Dragon_girl...not that you need my approval.

^^everything she said. :)

Awww..why thank ya!! :blush: