Stick thin everywhere with tons of stomach fat

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    kelliihere wrote: »
    What kind of workouts do you do and how is your posture?

Resistance work/ weight lifting will improve your overall body composition.
    Good posture and working on your abs will improve the way your (for want of a better term ) fat drapes on your body.

Look up vacuum exercises, an all round abs workout, and, if you have poor posture, routines to improve your posture. If you are just doing cardio, add some kind of resistance work.

If you have spent the last year less active because of COVID, it may just be that your muscles have become flaccid.

I have the same problem (skinny arms and legs with fat on my core) and found a more sedentary life this year was not benificial to my body composition. Once I started doing YouTube exercises at home instead of going to the gym things got back to normal.

Cheers, h.

Good thoughts. Prior to Covid, I wasn’t super active. I’ve never been a gym girl. But I did do a lot of walking. This past year I stopped walking and basically spent all day or most of the day in the bed. I wake up, eat breakfast, go back to bed, wake up, eat lunch, go out for a drive, come back and eat dinner, and watch a movie. The only movement I get is up and down the stairs and from my room to the bathroom and from the living room to kitchen, etc. That makes sense about losing muscle since I’ve basically laid in the bed this year, but why would it go only to the stomach area? Wouldn’t I have lost muscle in my arms and legs too? Maybe that’s just the area where it puts it since the same thing happened to you. Although it sounds as if you exercised prior to Covid. I only did walking.

When you say resistance work, do you mean like mountain climbers, crunches, etc?

I don’t have good posture, I don’t think I ever have. So when I slouch I’m sure it makes the appearance of it worse. I need to work on that.

I would suggest this inactivity is the problem.

Any chance of starting walking again, maybe doing some yoga or pilates?

I've gained a few pounds over this most recent lockdown, all seems to have gone to my stomach.

I've still been running, but no access to swimming or yoga - so none of the effective core stuff and I can see the difference.
    The walking will have been doing similar for you, by holding yourself straight while you walk as well other benefits. Whether it's deliberate exercise or not the movement still helps. I

I know mine will go down again once things get a bit more back to normal, its worth trying to see if yours does.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 207 Member
    hist_doc wrote: »
    [quote
    My doctor ruled out PCOS. What is especially concerning is the difference over a year.

@kelliihere is there any chance your alcohol consumption has increased over the past year with covid-related quarantining? I ask because I know mine did initially before I made a point to cut back.

No, but I can see why you think that. It does look like an alcohol belly. Believe it or not, I’ve never taken one sip of alcohol my entire life. [/quote]

No, that wasn’t at all what I meant. All I meant was that alcohol has sneaky calories and many have a tendency to over pour a glass of wine is all. When I first started tracking I never measured my glasses of wine and was shocked to find that my “glass” was more like 1.5.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I so dislike this photo as there's so much light and other trickery going on. I'm sure it's mostly real, but she really should not have tried to take a perfect light, tan, bra, etc photo as the last.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    OP
    Some of the second pic looks like end of the day post meal bloat and sticking ur belly out. Plus those type of Jean shorts do give a muffin top.
    Recomp. As others have said. Lift weights on a proper resistance training programme, not one you have designed yourself. Look at the thread on recomp. And the beginners programmes suggested in the body building forum.

You could see about dropping a couple of pounds but not really necessary IMO.

Don’t expect quick changes. 2 plus years I’d say of regular lifting.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2021
    If you stats are accurate then it will be difficult to provide advice because losing weight would put you in the underweight category. The only way I can see your stats being accurate is if your muscles have atrophied due to what sounds like 0 activity for a long time.

At this point you just need to increase your activity level and eat at maintenance and see what happens. Laying around all day long every day isn't good for your health, even if it didn't result in a muffin top.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Seems to me you simply have a body that holds some of its weight in your torso. There's nothing freakish about that. You've been bombarded with images giving you the idea that your body must have a trim, flat tummy or else...I dunno you don't measure up? The truth is, you have a nice normal body.

Even if you're at a perfectly normal weight, or even lower weight, doesn't mean you'll look like a bikini model.

By all means, if you want to try recomp or whatever -- go for it. I'm all for that. Really. However, be aware that your body may always be a bit heavier in the middle. You might never be able to really pull off a string bikini -- but that's why there's more than one type of swimsuit.

Be careful you aren't buying into the idea that if you aren't a lingerie model, you're somehow less.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Did you check Thyroid?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

Good posture and working on your abs will improve the way your (for want of a better term ) fat drapes on your body.

Look up vacuum exercises, an all round abs workout, and, if you have poor posture, routines to improve your posture. If you are just doing cardio, add some kind of resistance work.

If you have spent the last year less active because of COVID, it may just be that your muscles have become flaccid.

I have the same problem (skinny arms and legs with fat on my core) and found a more sedentary life this year was not benificial to my body composition. Once I started doing YouTube exercises at home instead of going to the gym things got back to normal.

Cheers, h.

Good thoughts. Prior to Covid, I wasn’t super active. I’ve never been a gym girl. But I did do a lot of walking. This past year I stopped walking and basically spent all day or most of the day in the bed. I wake up, eat breakfast, go back to bed, wake up, eat lunch, go out for a drive, come back and eat dinner, and watch a movie. The only movement I get is up and down the stairs and from my room to the bathroom and from the living room to kitchen, etc. That makes sense about losing muscle since I’ve basically laid in the bed this year, but why would it go only to the stomach area? Wouldn’t I have lost muscle in my arms and legs too? Maybe that’s just the area where it puts it since the same thing happened to you. Although it sounds as if you exercised prior to Covid. I only did walking.

When you say resistance work, do you mean like mountain climbers, crunches, etc?

I don’t have good posture, I don’t think I ever have. So when I slouch I’m sure it makes the appearance of it worse. I need to work on that.

To me spending all or most of the day in bed is a bigger issue than some stomach poof.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

Be careful you aren't buying into the idea that if you aren't a lingerie model, you're somehow less.

Wow, could we etch that on stone and make it the MFP banner?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I've spent the past year somewhat like you. I actually work from bed most days. I've done very little physical activity. My weight has dropped, but I'm larger and flabbier than I was last year because of muscle atrophy. Getting up and doing something physical will help most likely. Also could be some hormonal stuff going on causing water retention and bloating.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    I don't think MySweatLife looks good in any of those pictures. The one on the left does look better. The one on the far right looks unhealthy to me.
  • kelliihere
    kelliihere Posts: 28 Member
    OP
    Some of the second pic looks like end of the day post meal bloat and sticking ur belly out. Plus those type of Jean shorts do give a muffin top.
    Recomp. As others have said. Lift weights on a proper resistance training programme, not one you have designed yourself. Look at the thread on recomp. And the beginners programmes suggested in the body building forum.

You could see about dropping a couple of pounds but not really necessary IMO.

Don’t expect quick changes. 2 plus years I’d say of regular lifting.

The second picture was taken at the very beginning of the day before I had eaten anything. I posted it at night, but I didn’t take the picture at night. I have a muffin top regardless of what I wear. Even naked and in very loose pajama shorts. And those jean shorts are actually 4 sizes too big.

Where is the thread on recomp? I know many have suggested it and I looked, but I must be missing it.
  • kelliihere
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think I'm as concerned as the next person about people aspiring to random physiques claimed by photoshop-exploiting Instagram influencers . . . but OP says she wants to look more like she personally did last year.

That doesn't seem like a very extreme, inappropriate aspiration.

Clearly, spending lots of every day sitting or in bed, not getting any exercise, leads in a different direction. But that can change, and recovering a year's mis-steps seems reasonable, and achievable, with the right new steps in a different direction. 🤷‍♀️

Yes, exactly! That’s what I didn’t post Instagram pictures. I just want to be where I was last year.

So it sounds as if spending lots of every day sitting or in bed (mostly in bed) can cause this? Ever since the pandemic, I eat and then go lay back down. Sometimes I watch a movie, but I’m mainly laying in bed. On average, I take 757 steps a day (according to my phone). Today I went out walking, just 14 minutes of a fast walk. I took 2,445 steps today. And when I was walking, I could feel the burn on the right part of my stomach. Maybe that’s all I need is regular exercise?

What I don’t understand though is wouldn’t I have gained weight from spending most of the day in bed? Or could you not gain weight and just gain fat in your stomach and hips?
  • kelliihere
    I've spent the past year somewhat like you. I actually work from bed most days. I've done very little physical activity. My weight has dropped, but I'm larger and flabbier than I was last year because of muscle atrophy. Getting up and doing something physical will help most likely. Also could be some hormonal stuff going on causing water retention and bloating.

This helps a lot. It sounds like it’s from inactivity. I will definitely start being more active. Thank you!
  • kelliihere
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Cheers, h.

To me spending all or most of the day in bed is a bigger issue than some stomach poof.
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Cheers, h.

Why? Because it’s unhealthy?
  • kelliihere
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Seems to me you simply have a body that holds some of its weight in your torso. There's nothing freakish about that. You've been bombarded with images giving you the idea that your body must have a trim, flat tummy or else...I dunno you don't measure up? The truth is, you have a nice normal body.

Even if you're at a perfectly normal weight, or even lower weight, doesn't mean you'll look like a bikini model.

By all means, if you want to try recomp or whatever -- go for it. I'm all for that. Really. However, be aware that your body may always be a bit heavier in the middle. You might never be able to really pull off a string bikini -- but that's why there's more than one type of swimsuit.

Like another poster mentioned, I’m not trying to be a lingerie model. I’m just trying to get the body back that I used to have not that long ago.
  • kelliihere
    If you stats are accurate then it will be difficult to provide advice because losing weight would put you in the underweight category. The only way I can see your stats being accurate is if your muscles have atrophied due to what sounds like 0 activity for a long time.

At this point you just need to increase your activity level and eat at maintenance and see what happens. Laying around all day long every day isn't good for your health, even if it didn't result in a muffin top.

They are accurate. I know it doesn’t look like it, but I am telling the truth. That’s why it’s so puzzling to me and I can’t figure it out. I will try that and see if it helps. I could already feel the burn on the right side of my stomach while walking just 14 minutes today. Imagine 30. Thank you for the advice!