Exercise during lunch?

Options
I usually take an hour for lunch (no access to a shower) and was thinking about adding 30 minutes of walking to my daily routine just because I can.

Any of you walking during your lunch or doing a full workout? I like going after work but I figure what the hay this is only going to help.

Replies

• Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    A 30 minute walk is a perfect way to slip in some exercise. I would suggest a change of clothes and some wet ones to freshen up with afterwards.

I am fortunate that I can go to the gym at lunch and take a little more than an hour.

K
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I teach a lunchtime spin class 2 days a week and we always have 20-30 people.
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I do a full workout at lunch.....I am lucky because I have my own private bathroom in my office...with a shower!! I like working out at lunch so I don't have to take time away from the family after hours....and I have 4 kids....and three of them are in after school sports.....
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Its a great idea! The people who have the most success on their weight loss journeys are the ones who find a way to fit exercise into their daily lives. The fact that you have this extra time and find yourself WANTING to engage in extra physical activity is a huge positive :)
  • danlowlite
    danlowlite Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I take a late lunch and work out during that. I don't take a full shower, but do rinse off the sweat and such. I'm almost, but not entirely, able to fit in my entire weights routine in that time. I have a little flexibility as my gym is right across the street from work.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    I make it a point to walk at least 2x a day at work. Usually during break and lunch. Once you add up the total calories burned for the week while at work, you will see why it's such a good idea to do.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    If my buddies are out or have lunch plans I definaly walk at work on my lunch break. I also do jumping jacks in empty confrence rooms and squats, lunges, crusnches, push-up etc in my cube. Anything to keep me moving.

Keep up the good work!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    take a simple 30 minute walk before you eat your lunch, and if you are like me who sweats at the drop of a hat, just go to the rest room and wash your face, and keep some deodorant in a drawer at your desk.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I walk at lunch, and the idea of fresh clothes and wet wipes is a good one if you're intending to really go for it!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    We have a gym in our office building and I workout during lunch. I like it because I feel like Im not using any of my free time, and its easy to just show up every day.
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I walk during at least one of my 15 minute breaks. Then I either walk/run or take an aerobics class during my lunch break. It gives me a little energy for the rest of the day and I don't feel like I HAVE to workout in the evening and take time away from my family.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I walk at lunch - 35 minutes. I keep a change of clothes to walk in. I walk, eat lunch, then I've cooled off and change back into my work clothes.
  • kippit
    Options
    I do lifting a a gym near my office. Only have a 45 min lunch but I sweat less lifting than cardio.....so I don't shower....since I don't have time....works out real nice!
  • lkwoodboi31
    lkwoodboi31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree, exercising on lunch is great. I have a group of five ladies and we all walk or exercise to the "BIGGEST LOSER" videos in our conference room during our lunch...
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I walk for 30 minutes every day on my lunch break (with a co-worker). I bring my HRM, and change into an old shirt for my walk. It works out great! I still do workout in the evenings/weekends too though.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't because I would have to shower after.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Exercising at lunch is GREAT! It breaks up the day, burns off frustration/aggression from the morning, sets the tone for the afternoon.

I'm lucky to have easy access to a shower, but in the past (when I couldn't shower), I got really good at freshening up using a wet washcloth, baby wipes, and a fresh coat of deodorant.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I usually walk on my lunch break through the neighborhood behind my office. I don't change, I just put on my tennis shoes with my work clothes (attractive, yes, I know). I get a little over 2 miles in about 35 minutes.

Lately it has been a little cooler (didn't last long, I am in Louisiana) and I was running--but I think that is at an end until it cools off again. For running, I did change clothes and shoes, and when I got back, I just took a "hoe bath" in the bathroom with paper towels, lol.

I am not an excessively sweaty person.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida, so walking during lunch during several months a year would NOT be a good idea without a shower! lol

I do that during the cooler months, though. And a group of us does yoga 30 minutes a day, three days a week. Unfortunately, our office is moving and we probably won't have access to a room for it anymore. :-(
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have a shower at my office so I ussually go for a 30min jog, take a quick shower, and have a quick lunch. It works out great for me! However, just walking is great! If I didn't have a shoiwer I would not run or anything super heavy I would keep it light, but that's just me.