One weight loss secret doctors don't want you to know?

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm Emily, 29, UK.
I've lost count of the number I've times I've made a fresh start on here over the years but here we go again!
I've never had loads to lose and previously my weight hovered around 10st4/144lbs. I looked fine at this weight but I was never particularly happy with it, and I was never at any decent level of physical fitness.
Last March things changed in a big way.
Firstly I moved in with my partner, J, who is 6'6''. Cue bigger portions and tempting tasty snacks being consumed next to me on the sofa (I have no self control when things are literally open in front of me).
Secondly, the UK plunged into lockdown, no gym, restricted outdoor time, and Im an NHS doctor, so I was working solidly on the covid wards and came home emotionally and physically drained with no motivation or energy to control my diet or exercise.
So here we were a year later and more than a stone heavier 🙈 in January I weighed 11st5/159lbs and I realised it was time to try again. Of course covid wave 3 hit and slightly knocked me off course again, but I'm now down to 11st1/155lbs.
My initial target is 10st4/144lbs (my pre lockdown weight)
My ultimate target is 9st4/134lbs.

Currently I'm trying to stick to my calories (1500 or less), stop snacking, eat plenty of veg/fruit with each meal. Exercise wise I'm following Pamela Reif on YouTube, her workouts have great music, great motivation and they really seem to push me. I'm really enjoying them.
If anyone has any tips or advice that would be great. I can advise that that "one weight loss secret doctors don't want you to know" does not exist and I need all the help I can get!
Emily

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    Options
    I often got advice from doctors either to low carb or to eat low calories (1200/1500) for rapid loss!

I interpret the subtext along the lines:
    Eat low low calories (1200/1500) (or lose water weight with low carb) to lose weight fast(er) and see progress (which may motivate you).

And since so very few people retain their significant loss, the more weight you drop quickly the longer it will take you to regain it all, which means that you will have benefited from a longer overall period at low(er) weight...

And anyway, first things first, just get to the lower weight now and we will then deal with retaining the loss later.

I didn't like this subtext!

25lbs is a year long project at a 250 Cal restriction.

But, during that year, in order to achieve that continuous 250 Cal restriction equal to one less candy bar a day (should you decide to aim for that) you will be forced to confront and address how you will eat and move now, with your partner, when things change in the future. You will learn to differentiate between water weight changes and actual fat gain or loss. You will address which food items u are willing to modify, and which ones remain sacred cows for you

And by then you MAY have developed enough tools to cope with the bit of hormonal kick back you should expect during quite a few months following your weight loss. and because the new behaviours will be embedded you might continue with them instead of "slipping" back into past behaviour.

But, if you go gangbusters for 2 lbs a week done in 3 months, sure, you will still probably get there with will power and effort, but the self educational component will probably be missing and the hormonal kick back will probably be more intense. So you'd better start enlisting some colleagues for nutritional and counseling support because you won't have time for self discovery during weight loss... hopefully external help will provide you with the answers! 😉

But most of us have to self discover triggers behavior coping mechanisms substitutions new habits and all the other incremental changes that can add up over time into significantly major changes.

The final goal is to slowly create preconditions habits and behaviors that will encourage you to maintain the final lower weight.... Is whatever you're doing today to achieve your weight loss creating such?

• JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily

I'm from London but now live in Spain. I'm not sure how tall you are but your story sounds similar to mine though I'm older (46). I'm 5'4 and in February 2020 my weight got to 11 stone 1! It was out of control and I really wanted to do something about it. My body fat was up to 39% and my size 12 clothes were really tight and I was so unhappy.

Initially I just started counting calories and trying to stick to 1200 but didn't change the type of foods I was eating really. I also made sure I walked for at least 40 minutes a day and I went to the gym 3 times a week to do weights or a class etc. I lost just over a stone but it took me about 5 months and then I was 'stuck' for about 3 months and didn't see any movement on the scale.

I then decided to hire a diet coach with my birthday money last September, which was the best decision I ever made! She did me a personalised plan based on my goals, lifestyle and activity level. I started losing weight again and followed her plan for 6 weeks very strictly. I had to send her photos of every single thing I put in my mouth!!! The focus was mainly on eating healthily (low fat, high fibre, high protein reasonably low carb and all home cooked/natural food) and I lost another 10lbs in the 6 weeks. The main thing it taught me was that you don't need to count calories or do any fad diets, just eat natural food in the right quantities and proportions and stay active.

I am now down to 8 stone 9 and 25% body fat which is the lightest I can ever remember being as an adult and it's not been particularly hard I have to admit. I do daily cardio plus my dog walks (so I do cardio on the treadmill or xtrainer for at least 40 minutes in addition to my 2 x 20 min walks. I also do Yoga once a week and a fitness class once a week and use the gym to do strength training once or twice more every week too.

I now eat around 1200 calories and stick to the way my trainer taught me to eat. Protein is reasonably high and I have 2 protein shakes a day to ensure it stays high enough, I have my main meal at lunchtime (protein, a small quantity of carbs and loads of steamed or oven cooked vegetables) and breakfast is yogurt with berries most days. I also have an afternoon snack of a boiled egg and some cherry tomatoes.

The best thing is I give myself weekends off now so I can eat whatever I've ben missing on the other days, and believe me I do indulge in lots of things I really like, without counting calories. I'm maintaining my weight but want to lose around half a stone so have lowered calories slightly this week and increased my cardio, but I'll only do it Monday-Friday and continue having weekends off.

One tip in addition to this is to work out your TDEE using an online calculator, what your body needs to maintain your weight, and from there work out how much you need to eat in order to lose weight etc. it really works.