Hot Sauce

Options

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I'm a big hot sauce fan (or really any spicy thing - we use a lot of crushed red pepper flakes in our house, too.) I did know about the high sodium, but I don't use so much that I'm totally blowing that recommendation out of the water all the time.

One fun trick we employ is deliberately eating spicy things when we have colds or during spring and fall allergy seasons. If it's hot enough we can clear our sinuses right quick!

It's a bit of an old wives' tale but some people swear by spicy/"hot" foods to start labor too. I always scoffed at this but I have a suspicion that my last labor was at the very least sped up by the spicy takeout I had that day.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Umm that link opens to a suspicious website warning (for me at least on my tightly secured home network).

Open at your peril!
  • mogotecoyote
    mogotecoyote Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Obsessed with Cholula. Low calories. I also love Tajin. That stuff is great on cucumbers and apples and celery.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Obsessed with Cholula. Low calories. I also love Tajin. That stuff is great on cucumbers and apples and celery.

Have you tried putting the Tajin on vegetable and roasting them in the oven?
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I have a recent innovation on hot sauce. Of course I use a lot of red pepper flakes, but they are really just heat. And, I don't like to acidity of most pepper sauces.

But, the hot Jalapenos have a lot of flavor but need to cook in a dish. So I ran the hot Jalapenos through the blender with just enough peanut oil to emulsify them, put it 1/4" thick in a freezer bag and froze the whole mess flattened out. Now I just break off a piece and put the bag back in the freezer. The piece will melt into a super hot sauce at room temperature.