Failing every time

I have always lost the first few kilos and gained them back. I can't do heavy exercises. I walk and take balanced diet. Yet, I fail every time.

Replies

• Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Do you log your calories? Even a balanced diet isn't so balanced if the portions are out of whack.
  • RavenFox4
    RavenFox4 Posts: 9 Member
    You don’t fail until you stop trying. I know when I started I tried to do too much at once. Do one thing at a time. Once you have that down then add something. Just be realistic. So say you’re never going to eat sweets again is not a realistic goal that is easy to keep. Maybe say I’ll only eat a small portion on Saturday.
  • verdenlola
    verdenlola Posts: 17 Member
    Losing weight isn't an easy thing to do, but don't give up there's always a way. Our bodies are all different, so something that works for someone else doesn't have to work for you. All those diets, and exercises should be made according to what YOUR body needs not everyone elses. If you need some advice or just someone to talk to I'm here and I would love to help. Feel free to message or add me. :smiley::smiley:
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Try the real weight loss secret- calorie counting. The answer is hiding plain sight. It works. It has to work because of how our bodies are designed.

But calorie counting doesn’t work like most people think. The fact is there’s a fairly long learning curve. And it process can be a little hard to live with. But find that sweet spot of a downward trend that allows for you to live your life while you do it and you might surprise yourself.

BTW calorie counting is a whole set of things to do- calculate a target to lose a moderate amount, research and plan a menu, crunch numbers, keep a food diary. Most important is to problem solve and adjust when things go awry. It takes significant persistence. But it really works.
  • verdenlola
    Calorie counting is one way to do it, but it doesn't have to work on everyone and there are much better ways. 88olds saying that it's the real weight loss secret, I couldn't dissagree more. Because once you start calorie counting you can't stop or the weight comes back and let's be honest most of people don't know how to do it or count them the wrong way, so it's not sustainable maybe with right execrises but still it's a live long commitment. But why would you make that commitment if you don't have to? With some good cook books, more active life that includes exercising and knowing what your body needs not wants, reaching your goal wouldn't be so far out of reach. It's same with cutting out carbs which our body needs but in some healthy amounts. If your diet consists only of carbs of course it will cause a problem. Balance is what you need in your lives to take that weight off, not calorie counting, smoothie diets and everything else that will probably cause you to regain that weight or even worse harm your body.
    Few years back my mom tried multiple diets over a longer period of time, she was in her early 60s with about 2.5 stone to lose, none of them worked only thing that happened is that she lost a lot of her daily energy she felt weak and lost only half of a pound. I'm not saying all diets are bad just that you guys need to be careful of what you try. Mostly it dependes on how much weight you need to lose especially if it's a big number.
    Remember slow and steady win the race. Stay strong guys! :smile:
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    verdenlola wrote: »
    Calorie counting is one way to do it, but it doesn't have to work on everyone and there are much better ways.

Maybe the wrongest thing I’ve seen on one of these boards. I got the idea that OP has been down the intuitive healthy eating road a couple of times. Every person will lose weight eating in a calorie deficit. No exceptions. Just suggesting that instead of stumbling around trying this and that OP might want to try something that’s been shown to actually work.

• verdenlola
    I may have looked like spam I apologise for that, to be honest I recently joined and didn't really know how to approach people here (I'm an overthinker, so I made myself a mess), I do have good intentions and, just wanted to share that calorie counting is not an easy thing to learn and it might not work on everyone. With it comes regular exercise but the mindset too. Plus it's a hard job to write it all down, some people learn a bad way of doing it or can't get the hang of it.

My own weight loss came from my mindset. Started working on my life like a whole, changing every unhealthy part (from food to friends to work). I started swimming one day and training the next (in the beginning half an hour later on up to an hour and a half), started using small plate method (normal amount of food on a smaller plate) made my diet healthier, but most important thing was that I started to listen what my body actually needs, not wants.
    My diet is delicious but healthy. I try to avoid using any kind of oils in my meals, once a week I eat fish, 3 times a week I eat green, two days white meat, and once red meat. At least personally, with balance I had, there was no need for calorie counting. It did take me around 5 years to get from 95 to 57kg (I'm 5'2''). But I didn't give in, I had cosistency and I still do. Now with having the same weight for few years I get to cut myself some slack. I dont have to train as much.

I don't see a lot of people here with positive atittude towards losing their weight, which at least in my opinion should change. I believe that anyone can accomplish the same thing, it's mostly about strongly believeing in yourself, which most people can't do alone and that's okay, we all need a little push. Mine was triggered by some pretty bad things happening in my family.

Not to sound like a sales person, but at the beginning I did join a program where they helped me achieve that healthy mindset. Making peace with yourself, meditating before starting your day and going to sleep, sometimes throughout the day as well. At one point when you have tried everything and failed every single time you realize that the problem is not in ways that you're trying, but in yourself and how much you love yourself. That might sound stupid to some people, but every single person I know that tried it, has succeeded. I've seen major changes in myself, my body and a huge improvment in my life all together.

Hopefully now you understand why ''message me'' and ''add me'', I know how hard it is to open up especially about the insicurities, real fears, ect. I believe that close approach is much better in this kind of situations, I did make a mistake of not sharing my story first, hopefully it's not too late. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    RavenFox4 wrote: »
    You don’t fail until you stop trying.

This, right here. That's the key.

Also trying actually takes effort. If you didn't actually put any effort into it, did you really try? The positive is if you didn't try, you didn't start. If you didn't start you didn't fail (quit). Don't be too hard on yourself, just decide to do it and get on with it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I may have looked like spam I apologise for that, to be honest I recently joined and didn't really know how to approach people here (I'm an overthinker, so I made myself a mess), I do have good intentions and, just wanted to share that calorie counting is not an easy thing to learn and it might not work on everyone. With it comes regular exercise but the mindset too. Plus it's a hard job to write it all down, some people learn a bad way of doing it or can't get the hang of it.

My own weight loss came from my mindset. Started working on my life like a whole, changing every unhealthy part (from food to friends to work). I started swimming one day and training the next (in the beginning half an hour later on up to an hour and a half), started using small plate method (normal amount of food on a smaller plate) made my diet healthier, but most important thing was that I started to listen what my body actually needs, not wants.
    My diet is delicious but healthy. I try to avoid using any kind of oils in my meals, once a week I eat fish, 3 times a week I eat green, two days white meat, and once red meat. At least personally, with balance I had, there was no need for calorie counting. It did take me around 5 years to get from 95 to 57kg (I'm 5'2''). But I didn't give in, I had cosistency and I still do. Now with having the same weight for few years I get to cut myself some slack. I dont have to train as much.

I don't see a lot of people here with positive atittude towards losing their weight, which at least in my opinion should change. I believe that anyone can accomplish the same thing, it's mostly about strongly believeing in yourself, which most people can't do alone and that's okay, we all need a little push. Mine was triggered by some pretty bad things happening in my family.

Not to sound like a sales person, but at the beginning I did join a program where they helped me achieve that healthy mindset. Making peace with yourself, meditating before starting your day and going to sleep, sometimes throughout the day as well. At one point when you have tried everything and failed every single time you realize that the problem is not in ways that you're trying, but in yourself and how much you love yourself. That might sound stupid to some people, but every single person I know that tried it, has succeeded. I've seen major changes in myself, my body and a huge improvment in my life all together.

Hopefully now you understand why ''message me'' and ''add me'', I know how hard it is to open up especially about the insicurities, real fears, ect. I believe that close approach is much better in this kind of situations, I did make a mistake of not sharing my story first, hopefully it's not too late. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

The best way (and how most newbies) go about it is to start a thread, tell their story, and then tell everyone that they are open to friend requests. That way people that will be interested in your method will just naturally friend you. On your newsfeed you can chat with them or you can start a group if you have enough people.

The way you were doing it was suspect because that's exactly the way people who are trying to sell something and get clients go about it. They allude to a "special" way and ask for private messages. Those of us who have been around for years have seen it all and it rings a warning bell.

Not everyone wants to count calories, but it does work, and we try to answer questions and get people started. People that want to "eat mindfully" for instance can find like-minded members and do that. Most say that they got fat doing that, or that it works when you've got a lot to lose, but once you've got 35 lbs or less to lose, calorie counting is more precise. Keto members also sometimes think that they don't have to count and wind up gaining. A calorie deficit is what you need to lose, however you want to do that is your choice. Hope you continue to have success.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    88olds wrote: »
    Try the real weight loss secret- calorie counting. The answer is hiding plain sight. It works. It has to work because of how our bodies are designed.

But calorie counting doesn’t work like most people think. The fact is there’s a fairly long learning curve. And it process can be a little hard to live with. But find that sweet spot of a downward trend that allows for you to live your life while you do it and you might surprise yourself.

BTW calorie counting is a whole set of things to do- calculate a target to lose a moderate amount, research and plan a menu, crunch numbers, keep a food diary. Most important is to problem solve and adjust when things go awry. It takes significant persistence. But it really works.

^---- This.

If you don't play piano, you don't just pull out sheet music and sit down. There is so much to learn. So many basics to get a hang of. And lots of practice. Lots of mistakes or slip ups. But eventually, you get better and better. (That's maybe not the best analogy, but really, if adults would allow themselves the time to learn new things and the grace to make mistakes that we allow for children, we'd be in a better place psychologically...) ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member

With apologies to the OP for this digression, I appreciate that you came back and said this. I think yours is a useful perspective.

As an aside, I don't expect to see (in posts) a huge amount of positive attitude to losing weight, because it's super-much more common for people to post when they're struggling. There are positive attitudes here, I think, in various places, but they don't slap one in the face as often as the struggles do, in the forums.

Personally, I feel *very* positive about calorie counting for me, though I completely realize it isn't ideal for everyone. For me, though, it takes about 10 minutes (tops) out of my day, gives me assurance my nutrition is reasonable, and has gotten me to and kept me at a healthy weight (BMI in lower half of the 20s) for 5+ years now, no longer having high cholesterol/blood pressure, and with less pain (minimal in fact) from arthritis and such . . . after 3 *decades* previously of obesity (BMI 30+), and bad health markers. In my world, that's pretty hot stuff, for a mere 10 minutes daily.

(The psychological side of things was never my problem, as it seems to have been for you, and sadly also for some others. Me, I just like eating tasty things. Now I know how much of them I can eat, and still feel great physically. Powerful!)

There's a learning curve, though . . . and it's not ideal for everyone.