SodaStream for water intake?

Options
Annawan24
Annawan24 Posts: 287 Member
Does anyone else use a SodaStream religiously to get their water intake?

I've never been a big water drinker, and to be honest I don't think I ever really even drank one glass of it a day. However, knowing that water intake is a big part of weight loss I have started drinking a lot more now but only with using my new SodaStream.

Is that bad? I don't use the syrups, but prefer to add either a lime, lemon or a couple pieces of cut up fruit to flavor the water.

Does the SodaStream limit the weight loss in any way? I'm thinking it is causing some bloating because of all the carbonation.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Annawan24 wrote: »
    Does anyone else use a SodaStream religiously to get their water intake?

I've never been a big water drinker, and to be honest I don't think I ever really even drank one glass of it a day. However, knowing that water intake is a big part of weight loss I have started drinking a lot more now but only with using my new SodaStream.

Is that bad? I don't use the syrups, but prefer to add either a lime, lemon or a couple pieces of cut up fruit to flavor the water.

Does the SodaStream limit the weight loss in any way? I'm thinking it is causing some bloating because of all the carbonation.

Water in and of itself is pretty irrelevant to weight loss actually...the point of consuming fluids is to keep the body hydrated, as dehydration is unhealthy and can have a multitude of negative effects on the body. Keeping hydrated also helps the body function at an optimal level...but the whole point is hydration. It doesn't have to be just water...there's nothing particularly magical about plain water other than it is zero calorie. Anything you drink aids in hydration as does food consumption as many foods consist largely of water, especially fruits and veg.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Water doesn't influence weight loss past just hydration in general being part of health. There is nothing wrong with using a SodaStream with or without syrups as part of your weight loss journey although of course if you use the syrups need to account for the calories from that.

Carbonation does not cause "bloating" and even if it did "bloating" has no influence on fat loss.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Annawan24 wrote: »
    However, knowing that water intake is a big part of weight loss I have started drinking a lot more now but only with using my new SodaStream.

Water intake isn't a big part of weight loss.

If the drinks from your SodaStream (plus all the hydration from your other drinks and food) keep you adequately hydrated that's fine.

If you were adequately hydrated before then it's pretty pointless "drinking a lot more". You can be perfectly well hydrated without drinking much if any plain water.

If you were dehydrated before adding these extra drinks then it's been a a positive change for your health but not for weight loss.

• jeri30
    jeri30 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Acidic liquids, like lemon flavored water, can eat away at your tooth enamel. It's recommended that you drink these with your meals to limit exposure. Also, be sure not to drink them within at least 30 minutes of brushing your teeth. So don't brush before or after your acidic drink for at least 30 minutes and as brushing softens the enamel somewhat.

As for carbonation of plain water, as far as I've read it's generally considering safe to drink anytime as it's not considered to be acidic, but you might want to buy pH test strips to double check. Not sure about Soda Stream specifically.

I drink lemon flavored water myself, especially to help with my kidney stones, but also for taste.

Try googling effects of carbonation water tooth enamel. Also effects of lemon water tooth enamel for more info.

HTH.