How much should I expect to lose in first 2 months?

lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
I have been a member of mfp for years. A few years ago I lost 30 lbs counting calories, but once I stopped logging I gained some back. Now I am in a medically supervised keto diet program for type 2 diabetes. My glucose numbers are good and. I have lost about 12 lbs in 2 months. I am 56 yo, female not very active. I log my food and try to stay under 1230 + exercise calories. I weigh most food sometimes estimate liquids.

My friends who have each lost over 100 lbs at one time, say I should be losing more and tell me to eat even less carbs or walk further. I feel criticized. I am losing over a lb / week which sounds healthy to me. My dr seems okay with my progress and just approved some higher carb foods like: onions, tomatoes, and berries which is good because I was getting bored with the same foods.

Should I ignore them, or do. They have a point?

I am attempting to attach link to weight graph

https://imgur.com/a/Koeh8zq

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Ignore those friends. You are doing great!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Lori--doing great! Sounds like you've got this and with 30 lbs or less to lose 12 lbs in 2 months is very nice. It's hard not to listen to friends and family, but you have to just smile, nod,----and do your own thing. Best.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    ignore them. What you are doing is a safe, reliable, and more importantly, SUSTAINABLE rate of loss.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    lorib642 wrote: »
    My friends who have each lost over 100 lbs at one time, say I should be losing more and tell me to eat even less carbs or walk further.
    Should I ignore them, or do. They have a point?

Yes, ignore them. Weight loss rates should not be expressed in lbs per week but percentage per week. Someone that has 100 lbs or more to lose will obviously lose more lbs per week because they likely weigh a lot more. The general recommendation is .5% to 1% of your body weight per week. At your current weight, that's a range of .8 lbs - 1.6 lbs per week. Your progress seems to fit well within that range, so you are doing great.