Always under my daily calorie total, walking most days but not losing weight

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2021
    @sijomial i did use pacer but that doubled up stuff and I got really confused so removed it. 😂 Grief. It’s very complicated all this isn’t it.

Only if you choose to make it complicated.
    It's not necessary to use a tracker at all, if its data is suspect and it's adding confusion I'd question its value to you.
  • CoastalGirl67
    CoastalGirl67 Posts: 15 Member
    @sijomial do you know what - that’s a valid point. If I take it off then I won’t be tempted to eat back those calories !!
  • CoastalGirl67
    Right all, have just worked out how to make my diary public so you can have a nose now and let me know your thoughts.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    I’ve found Apple Watch to be quite accurate- as long as you have your sharing permissions and settings done right,and have your activity level set correctly in MFP. I’ve been pretty pleased at the quality of the calorie data synced to MFP, but even so I don’t eat all of them back.
  • CoastalGirl67
    edited March 2021
    Thanks for that @FitAgainBy55 that's interesting. I haven't looked at TDEE before. So, I should reduce my food intake to 1543 if I want to lose weight. My calories were better controlled and I did more exercise for the first 6 weeks and think I have just got a bit down over the last fortnight. Will pick myself up , brush myself off and get cracking again.
    I have now unpaired my Apple Watch from MFP so I cannot eat back any exercise calories so that should help !
    UPDATE - just checked and the app is now picking up exercise stats from the Apple Health App. I have just "earned" 394 calories from a slow pace walk 2.2 mile walk. So I just ignore those calories and stick to my 1543 - right ?
  • mphollins
    mphollins Posts: 4 Member
    These posts were very helpful because I stopped entering food in MFP in December 2020. I had the COVID-19 flu during the Christmas holiday season. After I recovered in Jan 2021, I began the WW (weight watchers) online program. Two months of WW, I gained four pounds, so I changed the WW plan from Blue to Green points. I also began logging foods into MFP. I have IBS, irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, asthma, chronic fatigue, and arthritis. After menopause, my weight changed from 160 lbs to 230 pounds in less than ten years because of two serious accidents that damaged my knees and back. It is reasonable to say that eating fewer calories will cause weight loss. However, I only see weight loss by eating 1200 or fewer calories per day. Currently, I am eating between 900 and 1500 calories per day. I will continue using MFP because it has a better method for keeping track of calories than WW. Years ago, I received treatment and surgeries for PCOD, therefore my slow weight loss on a low-calorie diet may be caused by an undiagnosed hormonal problem.
  • shazland
    shazland Posts: 63 Member
    without opening your diary, really the only thing we can say is that you are not logging accurately or giving too 'credit' for workout calories

ogndx1t7vbmb.jpg

This graph is really helpful.
    I started mfp 15 days ago and haven't lost anything, clothes still tight etc. I guess I've just got to sit tight and keep going.

I've done this before many times but the weight would come off much quicker.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited March 2021
    First, let me show you the numbers:

Stats
    I looked your food intake for the last 14 days and the average is 1643. Given your stats and weight loss (3 lbs over 7 weeks) the results show your TDEE is around 1853. This, of course, assumes your food intake is accurate.

Based on your stats, these are the TDEE estimates at varying activity levels:
    Sedentary 1,783 calories per day
    Your TDEE 1853
    Light Exercise 2,043 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 2,303 calories per day

Analysis
    I think 10k steps (with no other exercise) is considered light exercise on the TDEE spectrum. Eating 1643 per day at light exercise would give you a theoretical weight loss rate of .8 lbs per week.

Your average weight loss is about .42 lbs per week, so that's a 190 calorie difference per day between expected and actual weight loss.

How much were you expecting to lose in 7 weeks ? When I run the numbers, the difference between what I'd expect and your actuals isn't that huge of a difference.

If you want to lose at a faster rate, you either have to eat less or move more.

A good example of an analysis to run.

Logging accuracy (and more importantly consistency) and whether a person happens to be one of the majority who are close to the mean, or one of the minority who is a bit of an outlier also have to be considered!

A small nit to pick: 10K steps is "active" (AF=1.6) for most people, actually square in the middle of the active range.

BUT, weight TREND change would be more relevant for an active female who is exercising more than before.

Too many water weight variations are possible and the start and end point of the 7 weeks would have to be considered very carefully if looking at straight scale weight.

Apple watch has issues and probably the Pacer connected numbers are more representative of the estimates even if the estimates match your results even less.

Taking the "life lesson" that exercise shouldn't be fueled is probably not the right way to go about things :wink:

Patience helps! :smiley:
  • cskews
    cskews Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I'm a little late to the party, congrats on losing those 3lbs! Sometimes it just takes a bit of patience. =D
    A couple of things that I would add, make sure you're drinking plenty of water (this may have been mentioned before), that flushes everything through your system and gets rid of any excess water weight (sounds contradictory but it works). Aim for like 2L/4 pints per day.
    And in my opinion what you eat DOES affect your progress as salty or sugary foods will cause you to hold on to that water weight too. Of course everyone is different but it does usually help, make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet aswell, you don't have to religiously follow your macros, but getting a decent amount of protein will help maintain healthy muscle tissue in your body.

Good luck with everything!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,408 Member
    cskews wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a little late to the party, congrats on losing those 3lbs! Sometimes it just takes a bit of patience. =D
    A couple of things that I would add, make sure you're drinking plenty of water (this may have been mentioned before), that flushes everything through your system and gets rid of any excess water weight (sounds contradictory but it works). Aim for like 2L/4 pints per day.
    And in my opinion what you eat DOES affect your progress as salty or sugary foods will cause you to hold on to that water weight too. Of course everyone is different but it does usually help, make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet aswell, you don't have to religiously follow your macros, but getting a decent amount of protein will help maintain healthy muscle tissue in your body.

Good luck with everything!

I am assuming you mean some other kind of pint? Four pints would barely get my throat wet and vitamins down in the morning!

I always used to think it was shabby of school to give us a paltry pint of milk with lunch. They wouldn’t let us buy extra and anyway, even if I could, nickels were too scarce in our household. That was back when a nickel was worth a nickel. <<<said in my best crabby old lady voice
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    It's actually not that complicated. I exercise when I feel like it but every day I try to carefully (as possible) watch my calorie intake. The thing is that if you have a bad week it really slows down an already slow process. Don't over think this. Try to eat at a deficit and maybe don't worry about the exercise calories for now.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited March 2021
    Looking at your diary...

Large fried egg: 90 cals. My package of large eggs says 1 = 50g, 70 cals. When I weigh them, they are often 54-61 grams which makes them 75+ calories. Plus oil from frying. Do you know how much you used?

Avocado 1/2 medium 120 cals: how much did it weigh? Entries like 1 medium avocado, 1 small banana, 1 medium apple, etc. are vague. Because you don't really know if what you think is a small avocado matches what is in the entry for 'small' or 'medium' or 'large'. 100g avocado is about 160 calories, and using grams with accurate database entries helps to avoid errors. The same can be said of asparagus spears, but as asparagus is less calorie dense than avocado the room for error is smaller. A food scale is important for items higher in calories like nuts, nut butters, avocado.

You have the root vegetable soup 244 cals multiple occasions. Is this a recipe you've made and if so how did you log it? If you looked for a similar sounding dish in the database, you don't really know if it matches the dish you made. If you don't already, you can use the recipe builder and enter your ingredients and the builder calculates totals for you. Personally I weigh my finished dish, then set the # of servings = # of grams. If I make chili, I weigh the cooked food after its finished. If its 3500 grams I make the recipe = 3500 servings. Then if I put 275 grams in my bowl, I log 275 servings. Sunday I made meatballs. Weight of my mixture (before baking) was 2300 grams, so I entered my ground turkey, chopped onion, bread crumbs, etc. by item & weight into the builder. Then I made the recipe = 2300 servings. I baked the meatballs in a mini-muffin pan. I put 30 grams of mix in each muffin spot. So having 4 mini meatballs today for lunch, I logged 30 x 4 or 120 servings from this recipe.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited April 2021
    Wee update from me. Ladies - your time of the month is very important !! Three days on and I’m now down another 3lbs to a half stone loss so much happy that I’m finally seeing results.

Just coming back to this thread this morning and caught your post... You put a even bigger smile on my already smiling face. Have an amazing Easter weekend, and a Fools day to boot. Your rocking it @CoastalGirl67 :smiley:
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,245 Member
    You will get used to it, I log my food daily exercise normally a walk my weight stays static for monthsctgen I lose but as someone said above I have noticed my legs have become toned and so have my arms so getting there slowly and constant.
  • mvsanin
    mvsanin Posts: 2 Member
    @callsitlikeiseeit
    This flowchart is really helpful. What is the best way to track calories for strength training? Or just don't? I use a Garmin Forerunner35 - great for runs outdoors and in the treadmill. But I'm not sure how to account for calories when doing strength training.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    mvsanin wrote: »
    @callsitlikeiseeit
    This flowchart is really helpful. What is the best way to track calories for strength training? Or just don't? I use a Garmin Forerunner35 - great for runs outdoors and in the treadmill. But I'm not sure how to account for calories when doing strength training.

In the Exercise tab, in the Cardiovascular section, click on "Add Exercise". There is an entry for "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)".
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    mvsanin wrote: »
    @callsitlikeiseeit

for strength training, you can find the entry under the cardio section. I dont log any calories for strength training though.