Juice Fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    Two years ago, I was so overworked and stressed out. I was having migraines, my weightloss was stalled, I was anxious all the time...I found myself at work on the weekend and realized that I hadn't had a full day off in a month and started cry. So, I decided I needed to do something for myself, went online and found a yoga, juice fast and mediation retreat in Costa Rica with Inward Bound. It was without a doubt the best thing I've ever done in my life. I don't know if I could do it by myself at home, but to have someone else take care of everything made it effortless. By the end of the week my skin looked like I was airbrushed, the whites of my eyes were whiter than I've ever seen them, I was so relaxed and had lots of energy and my whole mindset had changed. (I also did a technology fast while I was there, so maybe the absense of a work Blackberry helped!)

Be warned, fasting isn't something you should just jump into. I agree that this shouldn't be done as a weightloss approach, but it does have positive benefits if you are looking for whole body wellness. Before going on my retreat, I built up to the fast by eating 75% raw for almost two months before and 100% raw the week before. I also gradually cut out caffeine during those two months. The retreat pre-fast raw meals were insanely delicious: raw "lasagne," raw oatmeal, a variety of amazing salads. I had to buy the "cook" book before I left because I needed to make it all myself.

During the fast, we'd start the day with fresh squeezed lemon juice with a dash of cayenne and water. That will wake you up! Then after yoga, we had our spirulina drink, 2 hours after that, there was a fresh mixed fruit/veggie juice, two hours after you had psyillium with water and usually another drink, often kombucha or coconut water, then another juice, then in the evening there was potassium broth with Himalayan salt. Everyone LOVED the broth. Not sure what was so special about it, but it was so delicious. We drank a lot of water and tea throughout the day. I never was actually hungry, but I found myself thinking about food--particularly burgers. I didn't want them because I rarely eat red meat, but images of them would pop into my head from time to time.

Then after you fast, it is really important that you transition back out with raw foods again. We broke our fast with papaya and lime and after fasting for 5 days, it was like I had brand new tastebuds. Never had tasted anything so wonderful. Again, I don't know if I would enjoy the fast as much if I had to go to work everyday while doing it. But if you can take the time off to go on a retreat, do it!
  • Tonyaton425
    Tonyaton425 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love the film "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" I mean Phil's story really touched me. I watch it over and over. I have been doing reboots (not continuous) ever since I saw that film and I feel amazing it actually caused me to get rid of my sugar cravings completely, I had a major sweet tooth before my first reboot, now -- I can walk away from the birthday and wedding cakes that keep coming my way. I only juice fast/feast for a week, then I go back to a plant based diet. Also you can try green smoothies -- delicious. Good luck.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Anyone interested in juicing (juicing is taking fresh and raw fruits and veggies and putting them into a juicer) check out

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> www.jointhereboot.com <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

This isn't a fad diet or a gimmick. It's amazing what all those micronutrients do to you once they hit your system...IT'S AMAZING!

You also want to make sure that when you juice that you use 80% veggies and 20% fruit, keep the sugar in check.

Kale is DELICIOUS juiced!!
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Fasts are pointless. Soon as you return to eating solid food you will regain any weight lost.

not entirely true. theyre still eating fruits and vegetables it's just in juice form. they're getting the proper nurtients and they are getting calories. if we were to eat only fruits and vegetables in their original form for an entire 60 days you would still lose the weight. its the same thing just in juice form. to the OP im totally thinking about doing this to detox my body and jumpstart my weight loss again!

So you think that if you ate nothing but fruit for 60 days you wouldn't regain weight once you add grains, meat, dairy, etc. back into your diet? Well try it and report back to us with your success story.
  • earthymom
    earthymom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did it and lasted 4 days. I'm going to do it again soon. I felt very "clean" afterward. If nothing else, it's a good test in self-discipline. :smile:
  • starracer23
    Options
    Fasts are pointless. Soon as you return to eating solid food you will regain any weight lost.

not entirely true. theyre still eating fruits and vegetables it's just in juice form. they're getting the proper nurtients and they are getting calories. if we were to eat only fruits and vegetables in their original form for an entire 60 days you would still lose the weight. its the same thing just in juice form. to the OP im totally thinking about doing this to detox my body and jumpstart my weight loss again!

So you think that if you ate nothing but fruit for 60 days you wouldn't regain weight once you add grains, meat, dairy, etc. back into your diet? Well try it and report back to us with your success story.

You go and watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and you can see two ALIVE and kicking individuals that have lost 100's of lbs together and they are doing fabulously.

They fasted for 60days, then started introducing whole veggies and fruits back, and then meat and grains and while they added the other foods back, they were exercising. This is like NOT like the HGC hoopla. This is ALL natural and it's awesome what the micronutrients do for your body. So in no way is this a "Fast for 60 days and then go back to eating the crap that you did before you started fasting" diet. It's a total and complete life style change.

So, maybe you need to do a bit of research before you totally discount this. I am in no way a fad dieter, I am choosing to live a healthy life and juicing is A_W_E_S_O_M_E!!!
  • kiesh82
    Options

You go and watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and you can see two ALIVE and kicking individuals that have lost 100's of lbs together and they are doing fabulously.

They fasted for 60days, then started introducing whole veggies and fruits back, and then meat and grains and while they added the other foods back, they were exercising. This is like NOT like the HGC hoopla. This is ALL natural and it's awesome what the micronutrients do for your body. So in no way is this a "Fast for 60 days and then go back to eating the crap that you did before you started fasting" diet. It's a total and complete life style change.

So, maybe you need to do a bit of research before you totally discount this. I am in no way a fad dieter, I am choosing to live a healthy life and juicing is A_W_E_S_O_M_E!!!

If it's not something you plan to do long term then it is a fad. Nobody can live off of juicing/fasting long term. They could've started eating healthy and exercising from the beginning and had the same results. But hey, if people want to suffer on a fast to lose weight when they could merely switch to a healthy and satisfying diet to begin with, to each their own. *shrug* [sidebar: I do recognize that many people fast for spiritual reasons - no disrespect to you all].
  • starracer23
    Options

If it's not something you plan to do long term then it is a fad. Nobody can live off of juicing/fasting long term. They could've started eating healthy and exercising from the beginning and had the same results. But hey, if people want to suffer on a fast to lose weight when they could merely switch to a healthy and satisfying diet to begin with, to each their own. *shrug* [sidebar: I do recognize that many people fast for spiritual reasons - no disrespect to you all].

There is ZERO suffering. The only thing that can be considered "suffering" is when your body detoxes from the lack of crap that is has consumed and what it is used to. Once you get passed that 3 or so day mark...You feel amazing.

And if they were eating right and exercising from the beginning...they wouldn't have been "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"....

You have the total and wrong perception of what is really going on. I can't make you understand....that is up to you to do if you want to. :)
  • kiesh82
    Options
    And if they were eating right and exercising from the beginning...they wouldn't have been "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"....

Um, that was my whole point, lol. There would be no need for "fasts" and "detoxing" aka depriving the body of food when you can give it nurishment with healthy eating and achieve the same result.

Show me some scientific basis for "detoxing" and then we can talk. These are all fad diet buzz words with no scientific or medical basis.
  • starracer23
    Options
    One was a truck driver, so his choices of food were poor. The other started out active and in shape playing sports, then got older and lazier and was eating poorly. They both got sick, one found the other and helped them start juicing.

I can say the same thing...if I was eating right to begin with I wouldn't be on this type of a site...But my parents weren't good roll models. I would just eat what ever I wanted and a lot of it. I was skinny (but wasn't healthy) until I had my children...So now I have to retrain my whole brain and eating style.

Here is some info about rebooting (aka juicing fast): Taken from http://jointhereboot.com/reboot-program/some-simple-facts-to-consider/

Some Simple Facts to Consider
    National nutrition guidelines recommend that Americans eat five or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Currently only 23% of Americans eat the recommended servings.*

In 2007, 35% of Americans reported eating only 1-2 servings of fruits and vegetables each day.**

Simple Fact:
    We all need to eat more fruits and vegetables.

Complex foods can be grouped into two major categories: foods that are high in macronutrients and foods that are high in micronutrients. Macronutrients are elements like carbohydrates, proteins, and fats that we need, but should not consume in excess. Micronutrients include all vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. These are found in abundance in all plant-based foods, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans, spices, herbs, and teas.

Simple Fact:
    There are 170 phytonutrients in just one orange. To date, there are thousands of micronutrient phytonutrients that have been identified in plants, such as carotenes, antioxidants, and flavonoids. Often we hear that the vitamin C in an orange is responsible for its immune-boosting properties, but there are actually over 170 known phytonutrients in just one orange. The power of fruits and vegetables is bigger than we know.

A healthy diet full of micronutrients, coupled with physical activity, not smoking, and maintaining a healthy weight, reduces risk for cardiovascular disease, strokes, diabetes, certain types of cancers, mental illness, metabolic syndrome, and helps us live longer lives. A micronutrient-rich lifestyle can also reduce the severity of these conditions in those who already have developed them, meaning less medication and less side effects.

Simple Fact:
    Men and women who ate between five and six servings of fruits and vegetables per day had a 26% lower risk of stroke than those who ate less than three servings per day.***

Simple Fact:
    High consumption of cruciferous vegetables, dark green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, and other vitamin C-rich fruits and vegetables (tomatoes, bell peppers) were associated with the lowest risk of stroke.****

Simple Fact:
    Diabetes is on the rise in the United States for both adults and children/adolescents. Almost 24 million Americans have diabetes, and at least 57 million over the age of 20 have pre-diabetes. Adults with diabetes have between two and four times the risk of death from heart disease than someone without diabetes. *****

Simple Fact:
    A European study found that participants who followed the healthy lifestyle described above had a 93% lower risk of developing diabetes.******

When eating fruits and vegetables that our bodies have seen for thousands of years, the digestive/immune response is milder than the response to eating heavily processed foods.

Simple Fact:
    Being constantly challenged by “foreign” processed foods will wear out the immune system over time, making us more vulnerable to disease and infection as we age.

*Reeves MJ, Rafferty AP. Healthy Lifestyle Characteristics Among Adults in the United States, 2000. Arch Intern Med. 2005;165:854-857s

**CDC, Fruit and Vegetable Consumption Data from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)

***He, FJ, Nowson, CA, MacGregor, GA. Fruit and vegetable consumption and stroke: meta-analysis of cohort studies. Lancet 2006;367:320.

****Joshipura, KJ, Hu, RB, Manson, JE, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake in relation to risk of ischemic stroke. JAMA 1999;282:1233.

*****Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National diabetes fact sheet: general information and national estimates on diabetes in the United States, 2007. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2008.

******Ford ES, Bergmann MM, Kroger J, Schienkiewitz A, Weikert C, Boeing H. Healthy Living Is the Best Revenge. Findings From the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition–Potsdam Study. Arch Intern Med. 2009;169(15):1355-1362
  • kiesh82
    Options
    I'm confused. It seems that the info posted above is telling me that we need to eat more fruits and vegetables. Was there ever any argument about that?

Aren't we all here to learn to eat better and develop healthy habits? I just advocate developing healthy and sustainable eating habits for the long term to increase the chances of keeping the weight off for good. Instead of juicing an orange why not just eat one? Ah well, I guess some things are not for me to understand.
  • starracer23
    Options
    I'm confused. It seems that the info posted above is telling me that we need to eat more fruits and vegetables. Was there ever any argument about that?

Aren't we all here to learn to eat better and develop healthy habits? I just advocate developing healthy and sustainable eating habits for the long term to increase the chances of keeping the weight off for good. Instead of juicing an orange why not just eat one? Ah well, I guess some things are not for me to understand.

I have never eaten a beet in my life (though I have tried a bite here and there)...why? I don't like the texture of a beet. I have never eaten kale in my life (though I have tried a bite here and there) ...why? I don't like the texture....So I am missing out on certain nutrients that those veggies provide.

Imagine juicing - a beet, 2-3carrots, 1 red apple, 1 green apple, a bunch of kale, 3 leaves of bok choy, 2 cucumbers, cherries, 2 oranges and blueberries...all of that in 1 glass (or 2-3 as that's a big juice) and you drink that twice a day. There is no way that I would actually eat that many veggies in a day. The amount of micronutrients that I am consuming is astronomical. And I am getting that all in one sitting.

Could I eat all that...maybe. Would I eat all that...nope.

Fruits and veggies are great in their natural state. Most people cover their veggies in something, cheese, sauce, ranch...something. Fruit is mixed with whipped cream or yogurt. Juicing them gets the micronutrients into my system much faster.