Does calorie deficit really helps in losing weight

Options
Hi
I'm kinda confused with calorie deficit concept, I need a total of 2100calories according to BMR, but I only end up having 1200-1600 calories a day which have a 500deficit excluding little work exercise. My weight is not going down(7kgs up from 2107-2020), what wrong am I doing?? Could you guys help me with this.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit works!!! Are you weighing and tracking everything you eat?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’d figured the ‘2107-2020’ was a typo which was intended to read 2017-2020. Therefore, 7kg over 3 years approx. Agree some clarification ias to exactly what OP is asking is needed though, in order to be more helpful.
  • crusherbrickman
    crusherbrickman Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm confused on this as well.
    I set up the goal for 2lbs loss per week.
    I'm plenty fat so I didn't figure this unrealistic.
    Daily allowance was set at 1700 calories.
    For past 2 months, I have come in at, or below this intake goal.
    So, based on myfitnesspal calculations, I should be at 2lbs/weeks weight loss.
    HOWEVER, I've also been walking and according to Mapmyrun, I burn and extra 300-500 calories 4 or 5 days a week.
    According to the whole CICO deal, I should be wiping the fat off with my washcloth in the shower. Ie greater than 2 lbs/week.
    But, I'm only losing at the set 2lbs/week that is based solely on the 1700 calories.

Don't get me wrong, I'm SUPER happy with results so far (20 lbs since Jan 28).
    It just the whole CICO thing doesn't ring quite true with me since I feel I should be more at 3 lbs/week.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The concept is universal: energy goes into a vehicle either gas (petrol), or diesel, or electricity, or natural gas, or propane... and the vehicle spends it either moving and going places, or idling.

And manufacturers give you some specs as to how much driving you will get out of each litre of gas. But the numbers don't always match the manufacturer specs, do they?

That's why we have ticked off consumers and lawsuits and restatements and settlements!

And that doesn't even consider that lead foot Fred in his newly lifted truck most certainly spends more energy then econo-Frieda in her hybrid Prius.

Especially if Fred is in the habit of going out for a few spin-outs in the desert on his way to work, and Frieda (the girl is an accident waiting to happen because she) always drafts behind 18-wheeler transport trucks on her way to work!!!

CICO is shorthand for a fact of nature: Calories in balance Calories out with the difference resulting in increases or decreases in stored value!

CICO depends on the ACTUAL calories in and out as processed by each body--not on the rough accounting kept by a nearby human.

The numbers you're looking at are heavily influenced by your logging skills (and these are not the same for everyone), and they are based on statistical estimates that by nature are accurate for most, a little bit off for many and quite far off for a few.

And not only do you not know which one you are ahead of time, but over the years how close your track to the mean can slowly change too?

BUT, even if the numbers are off for you, if you log in a consistent manner, you can look at your expected and actual weight trend over time and make adjustments!

Assuming that 2lbs a week is in the 0.5% to 1% of your body weight range... woohooooooooo! Good job! CICO is working fine for you.

Fantastic analogy PAV! Now can you tell me how I can become Fred with a souped up sportscar?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The concept is universal: energy goes into a vehicle either gas (petrol), or diesel, or electricity, or natural gas, or propane... and the vehicle spends it either moving and going places, or idling.

And manufacturers give you some specs as to how much driving you will get out of each litre of gas. But the numbers don't always match the manufacturer specs, do they?

That's why we have ticked off consumers and lawsuits and restatements and settlements!

And that doesn't even consider that lead foot Fred in his newly lifted truck most certainly spends more energy then econo-Frieda in her hybrid Prius.

Especially if Fred is in the habit of going out for a few spin-outs in the desert on his way to work, and Frieda (the girl is an accident waiting to happen because she) always drafts behind 18-wheeler transport trucks on her way to work!!!

CICO is shorthand for a fact of nature: Calories in balance Calories out with the difference resulting in increases or decreases in stored value!

CICO depends on the ACTUAL calories in and out as processed by each body--not on the rough accounting kept by a nearby human.

The numbers you're looking at are heavily influenced by your logging skills (and these are not the same for everyone), and they are based on statistical estimates that by nature are accurate for most, a little bit off for many and quite far off for a few.

And not only do you not know which one you are ahead of time, but over the years how close your track to the mean can slowly change too?

BUT, even if the numbers are off for you, if you log in a consistent manner, you can look at your expected and actual weight trend over time and make adjustments!

Assuming that 2lbs a week is in the 0.5% to 1% of your body weight range... woohooooooooo! Good job! CICO is working fine for you.

Fantastic analogy PAV! Now can you tell me how I can become Fred with a souped up sportscar?

I'm not PAV, but I think the answer is mostly "blind luck". (I'm saying this as someone with an unexpectedly high TDEE.) There are things that could potentially make a tiny contribution, but it's majoring in the minors to pursue anything other than the obvious "move more", mostly.

I just posted this on another thread (for - I think - better reasons), but it's kind of relevant here, too:

https://examine.com/nutrition/is-my-slow-metabolism-stalling-my-weight-loss/
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Move into a house that requires you climb three flights of stairs to get to your front door and another flight every time you want to pee or go to the kitchen?

:P