Any runners?

Hello everyone. Just wondering if there are any other runners here? I used to run years ago, but burned out on it from never taking rest days. We signed our daughter up for an afterschool program called Girls on the Run and at the end in May they'll have a 5k and need an adult partner to run with them, do back on go the running shoes! I'm doing intervals like when I first started and I'm up to 50-50 a d plan on running my own 5k by the end of summer.

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I'll never figure out why people (like me) find themselves wanting to run when nothing is chasing after them. Let alone feel so good about it. They are probably crazy. Are you sure you want to find all the crazy people?

You might visit the Challenges forum. Each month there is a Monthly Running Challenge posted and it is generally the most active thread there. You pick your own target (whatever it may be) and while keeping yourself accountable by posting your runs you get to chat with and hear things from other runners of all sorts of backgrounds. It's generally the best place to go for running advice around here. There are also some great running groups here, but most groups on MFP are a bit more quiet than that challenge thread these days.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    There are lots of runners here. Girls on the Run is a good program. I'm glad your daughter got involved. I hope she learns to love running and continues. It's good that you are restarting as well so you can run together sometimes. I have a friend whose son does one or two races a year and they train and run together at those races. Dad does a lot more on his own (he's a multiple marathoner) but says he always enjoys the runs with his son and watching his son develop more confidence each year.
  • redduck1963
    redduck1963 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm a returning runner as well, it was probably 2009 or 2010 that I drifted away from it to focus on cycling, then by 2016 I was doing nothing that wasn't related to running my business. Now I'm 20 pounds overweight, disgusted with my lack of cardio fitness, and ready to do something about it. Currently training for a local 5K and hoping to increase distance beyond that, as well as maybe hit a few mountain bike races again.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Girls on the Run is an excellent program - I hope your daughter likes it and you guys do well at your race!
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    I just posted this on another thread:

C25K is an excellent beginners program. I have recommended this numerous times over the years. Assuming you have no health issues (always helpful to be cleared by your Doc) you can start tomorrow if you'd like. I always recommend signing up for a 5K race about 3 months from beginning as a great goal. I like the structure of the plan as it focuses on time rather than distance and eases new runners into the program by alternating walk/jog sequences. You can see the plan here: https://www.lcps.org/cms/lib/VA01000195/Centricity/Domain/74/C25K Training Plan.pdf

A few things to consider...1. you should be fitted for proper running shoes. Those old pair of Chucks in the hall closet are not a good option. 2. Running is cardio, and a good way to augment your calorie burn to keep under your daily calorie goal. You may choose to eat back some calories if you wish. But just because you went for a :20 minute run doesn't give license to down a whole bag of Doritos. 3. Rest and recover. The plan begins at 3 days per week. Your body needs time to recover when you begin any new exercise regime. I can tell you from personal experience, too much, too soon, too fast always has a bad outcome. Good luck - you'll be amazed how you feel when you finish your first 5K!

Girls on the Run is a great program!