Body Resistant, misconception or fact?

Options
SiiaMarl
SiiaMarl Posts: 19 Member
edited April 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
there is a saying that if you lose weight then gain it back multiple times in your life your body will resist and it will be slow and hard to lose weight.. is it true? because im struggling with it.

I know people have different bodies and lose weight in totally different patterns but I see many people lose like 8 kg in 2 months then I thought to myself maybe they spend a lot of time in gym but when I see their routine (diet +exercise) is similar to mine and some of them do not even go to gym( im not talking about morbidly obese people). some people are not even that fat to begin with, I know a girl is is 160 cm and 62 kg in 2 months and half she lost 9 kg. for me when I was 20 kg heaver I spent 6 month to lose 10 kg. :* with diet and 30 minutes treadmill, 30 minute weight training and various workouts.

since last August I have been losing 1 kg a month despite my activities and diet

Replies

• Daisy5485
    Daisy5485 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    While I don’t know about body resistance there is a difference in individual metabolism and that metabolism does change when you change diet and exercise. And Persons of the same height and body mass can have different caloric needs. Our energy loss is discharged through breath. You can get your individual metabolism checked by machine. Then you can keep a ledger of caloric needs-inputs if you want to know for sure you’re eating/exercising an effective amount.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I would say it's real, but probably more your brain than the rest of your body. You probably have, in your mind, certain visual and physical cues that say, "OK, this is the right amount of food," and I think those can exert a strong pull on us. I have a suspicion that successful weight loss (losing and then maintaining at a healthy weight) has a lot to do with working on that mental part, and yo-yo dieting is probably the result of that mental retraining not really taking. That's one reason I find I like logging so much - it's much more objective. I don't have to argue or barter with myself about "is this too much, can I have another, what is a handful anyway?" I just figure out how many calories I need to live my life but still lose at a reasonable rate, and I go with that, making adjustments as needed.

If you're losing 1kg a month that's great! Losing fast isn't necessarily better (some would say it's actually worse). The quick beginner losses you sometimes see aren't just fat loss. The thing is, unless other people are sharing their data with you, you really can't know how it is they're doing what they're doing. It's not a competition, and the thing to focus on is how you get to your goal weight *and then stay there, or near.*
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Everything other than your own current and possibly past stats is irrelevant.

1kg per month could be downright excellent or abysmally slow or even abysmally fast according to an individual's situation.

So.... without your stats 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've lost weight at 1.5lbs a week on average, and at less than 1lb a month on average over the course of a complete year in each case.

Both were appropriate at the time (and owe their appropriateness to a good degree of luck, but also some planning)
  • SiiaMarl
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your comments and the clarification, to answer your questions:-

I know that I cannot be sure 100% about other people's lives but what made me confused is when I was heaver people told me that individuals who lose weight fast ( by fast I mean 2 or 3 kg a week) they are morbidly obese people and you are not that, if observe thin people you would see how they struggle to lose weight because they don't have much. Later on I found that what people kept saying was not accurate since I witnessed people losing weight at different levels, weight etc.

on the 1st Jan 2020 I was around 90 kg and now im 67 kg what im (height is 163 cm). I thought I would at some point lose 2 or 3 kg in a month or 2 but no matter what changes I incorporate to my diet or exercise I don't see much difference.

• SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    01-Jan to 03-Apr is 3 months, and 90 kg to 67 kg is 23 kg. That's about 1.9 kg/ week. Not sure where the problem is between 1.9 and 2? Weight loss predictions are never going to be exact. Bodies don't work that way.
  • SiiaMarl
    Options
    01-Jan to 03-Apr is 3 months, and 90 kg to 67 kg is 23 kg. That's about 1.9 kg/ week. Not sure where the problem is between 1.9 and 2? Weight loss predictions are never going to be exact. Bodies don't work that way.

I think you misread my post its from the 1st Jan [ YEAR 2020 ] not this year
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ^ also every bit of the above post.

At some point I think it's good for everyone to reach a point where they allow weight loss to fade into the background of their lives and become a side-effect of their lives, not the focus of it.

Keep an eye on your weight and make sure it's trending toward where you want it to be, but otherwise... just build habits and let those habits carry you while you live your life.

The habit building is hard, but don't make it harder than it has to be and do it with an eye toward a day it becomes easy. Not a day you hit goal weight and it continues to be a struggle to maintain.

Relax. Breathe. Your weight will eventfully reflect the habits and life you live.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it's only harder mentally. I've maintained since the spring of 2013 until I put on 20 Lbs in 2020 with COVID and such, of which I have dropped about 10 Lbs. It has been mentally harder to lose this than it was my initial 40 Lbs.

As far as other people go, you don't really know what's going on..."working out" isn't something that is necessary for weight management. I rarely do a "workout"...I'm only in the gym to lift 2x per week and it takes me about 40 minutes and I typically do a couple of training workouts on my bike a couple times per week which are also around 40 minutes and not particularly large calorie burns given the nature of those sessions. I am however pretty active and play a lot and spend a lot more time and burn a lot more calories just out an having fun playing than I do with "workouts". Even when I'm sitting around, I'm moving...I rock and fidget a lot and have a hard time just sitting still and doing nothing.
  • SiiaMarl
    edited April 2021
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So you've lost 0.78lbs a week and at your current weight 0.5% of body weight a week would be slower than that at 0.735lbs a week.

You have done great and you sound to me like someone who is ready to self sabotage out of a misguided notion that you should have done better.

How many of your **kitten** friends have maintained their weight loss for 3, 5, or 10 years? What is then the relevance of the various diet regiments they follow and of the short term success they see?

You have lost 50 lbs. More than 50 lbs. You are way healthier than before your loss.

a) be happy

b) worry more about maintaining the weight loss than about the bonus of losing more.

Time will pass either way. It will pass either with you working sustainably towards small improvements, or with you fighting tooth and nail and being unhappy.

c) most people who feel they are not losing fast enough are probably NOT currently engaging in what they envision their final post weight loss type of eating, moving, and exercise will look like.

it is past time for you to consider what your future take on eating, moving, and exercising will look like.

If you currently plan on making major changes when you get to maintenance after a major weight loss... I would give that a double think to ensure it's a good idea.

You're better off introducing any changes while you're still attempting to lose weight and you have the extra deficit push to help your experiment.

Since your op seems, I feel, to imply that you are engaging in more exercise activity than what would make your happy, I remind you that the survey of the weight loss registry participants (peopke who have lost and maintained the loss of a lot of weight) seems to indicate that the majority of long-term maintainers have chosen to incorporate at least one hour of movement in their days with a majority again engaging in something as basic as walking--not necessarily FX90-kick-Bumba-till you drop or what have you.

I thought that when I entered the 60's I would not have lots of fat (since im Pear shape I have most of fat in my hips) which made me think I need to lose more maybe reach 50 kg THAT'S when they told me that maybe because I have been yo-yo diet for a long time im struggling and im not losing enough or maybe something wrong with my metabolism etc.

actually I haven't really reach the place where I think how to maintain my weight( I mean I know about TDEE and how to calculate calories) but since I still need to lose weight, all I think is how to lose more.
    I tried reducing my intake to 900-1000 cal per day but then I was told im destroying my health and its not sustainable in long term. about my weight loss rate. I don't lose very week, sometimes it scale is stuck for 2 weeks before I see any changes.
  • Iwannabeapunkrockmom
    Iwannabeapunkrockmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I dunno, but comparison is the thief of joy and I'm really enjoying losing this weight that I've hated for so long, so I'm gonna mind my own and keep on truckin at my own pace. ❤️
  • SiiaMarl
    Options
    ^ also every bit of the above post.

At some point I think it's good for everyone to reach a point where they allow weight loss to fade into the background of their lives and become a side-effect of their lives, not the focus of it.

Keep an eye on your weight and make sure it's trending toward where you want it to be, but otherwise... just build habits and let those habits carry you while you live your life.

The habit building is hard, but don't make it harder than it has to be and do it with an eye toward a day it becomes easy. Not a day you hit goal weight and it continues to be a struggle to maintain.

Relax. Breathe. Your weight will eventfully reflect the habits and life you live.

True! but I guess its hard for me cuz i don't want to take any risk, I have been overweight since I was young and I have been doing diets rather than living my childhood life, I'm 28 now and I don't wanna waste more time that's why I need to focus.

but believe me Im trying to loosen up
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Yeaaaah, but the thing is this:

If you're waiting on living life until you hit your goal weight, you're going to slam smack first into the reality that when you go from loss to maintain you're going to gain 3 apples or 1 candy bar's worth of calories back. That's all. Otherwise, what you are doing now will have to be what you keep doing.

Might as well get living now, rather than waiting to start once you hit goal. Some of the more active pursuits will be easier, you may or may not have more confidence, but seriously. 3 apples or 1 candy bar of calories is all that changes between 'loss' and 'maintain'.

Just keep breathing. Trying to loosen up is REALLY good. You'll get there. I have no doubt.