Newbie advice required!

Options
Good evening! So I'm about to start my weight loss journey hopefully from 19st to 15st. However, I have 2 medical issues that complicate my exercise plans! 1st is a ongoing ankle injury, chipped a bone and have fragments that require surgery and it prevents me from walking and cycling (which I used to love doing), second is a ventral hernia, which means abdominal exercises like situps etc are out. There's no chance of surgery in the next 2 years so I need to do what I can. Any exercise that I could do would be hugely appreciated (we've no swimming pool nearby either!). Diet will be a huge challenge for me as I like sweet stuff and hate healthy foods,but clearly an area I'll need to focus on!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,702 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hi, and welcome!

As you probably already know, the good news is that weight loss is all about calorie balance: Eat fewer of them than you burn, and fat loss happens.

I completely understand wanting to stay active, though, because that has many benefits.

I don't want to be presumptuous, because I'm not expert, but I'm wondering if there are any upper-body strength training exercises you'd be able to do, either seated or lying? Have you considered looking at seated cardio routines? Some of those are aimed at seniors/less-fit people, but there are some on YouTube that are aimed at serious wheelchair athletes, and they look more challenging. (I'm not sure whether they'd require too much ab stress for you - that's what I mean about not being expert!) I haven't done them, but noticed some when I did YouTube searches for milder seated exercises for friends of mine.

Hoping you can find some things that will keep you making fitness progress . . . and certain you can make bodyweight progress via calorie counting, with or without exercise.

Best wishes!

• unevano
    unevano Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had similar complications.My weight kept going up and up. I was trying all sorts of so called healthy eating plans but I inevitably would sabotage myself with a long bout of binging. I was injured to where it was and still is hard and painful to exercise normally. The good news is that I figured out how to control my weight at will without sabotaging myself with bouts of binging and without feeling deprived but there is a huge learning curve. Essentially, for me it was learning about the KETO diet and doing it that made me realize that just about everything that is being taught about loosing weight does not apply when you are insulin resistant. Cut out the carbs, replace them with fats and proteins and watch the pounds melt off. You won't feel hungry either because your body will utilize the fat in your body for fuel rather than glucose. You will be able to cut meals down from 3 or more down to just 1 a day without feeling deprived. Will you be able to do it even if you have a sweet tooth? The answer is yes. There are a number of sweeteners that don't add carbs. Eventually, probably in about a month, you won't have that overwhelming desire for sweets any more. Once you control your weight thru KETO then exercise is more for health and fitness. You don't need to exercise to lose the weight. However you will still want to exercise. You can exercise your shoulders, back and neck using dumb bells, and isometric. You can substitute push aways for pushup which is just standing away from a wall (if your ankle will handle this) or door opening and place your hands on the wall and push away and then let your self lean back into the wall. The farther you stand away from the wall the more resistance. Find the amount of lean that will allow you to exercise without pain to your hernia. You can also do leg exercises by sitting on a chair and doing leg extensions using an ankle weight or resistance bands. Lay on the floor and you can do leg raises with just 1 leg at a time. Basically, find movements you can do that won't injure yourself more. Experiment with yoga positions that you can do. Anything that works your muscles is exercise. You can get your aerobics in just by moving your arms back and forth at a rapid rate or if your hernia can handle it, lay on the floor and put your legs above you and do bicycle movements with them. Or how about hopping on your good leg up and down on a mini trampoline or rebounder. Hang onto something for balance so you don't fall off. You can do it. The future is yours. Contact me if you want more info. I will help in anyway I can. The main thing that changed my life around was when I stopped listening to the majority of the health experts that told me that fat was a bad thing to eat and to eat healthy things like fruit, grain products, and dairy. That stuff was literally killing me at a fast pace.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,702 Member
    Options
    unevano wrote: »
    I had similar complications.My weight kept going up and up. I was trying all sorts of so called healthy eating plans but I inevitably would sabotage myself with a long bout of binging. I was injured to where it was and still is hard and painful to exercise normally. The good news is that I figured out how to control my weight at will without sabotaging myself with bouts of binging and without feeling deprived but there is a huge learning curve. Essentially, for me it was learning about the KETO diet and doing it that made me realize that just about everything that is being taught about loosing weight does not apply when you are insulin resistant. Cut out the carbs, replace them with fats and proteins and watch the pounds melt off. You won't feel hungry either because your body will utilize the fat in your body for fuel rather than glucose. You will be able to cut meals down from 3 or more down to just 1 a day without feeling deprived. Will you be able to do it even if you have a sweet tooth? The answer is yes. There are a number of sweeteners that don't add carbs. Eventually, probably in about a month, you won't have that overwhelming desire for sweets any more. Once you control your weight thru KETO then exercise is more for health and fitness. You don't need to exercise to lose the weight. However you will still want to exercise. You can exercise your shoulders, back and neck using dumb bells, and isometric. You can substitute push aways for pushup which is just standing away from a wall (if your ankle will handle this) or door opening and place your hands on the wall and push away and then let your self lean back into the wall. The farther you stand away from the wall the more resistance. Find the amount of lean that will allow you to exercise without pain to your hernia. You can also do leg exercises by sitting on a chair and doing leg extensions using an ankle weight or resistance bands. Lay on the floor and you can do leg raises with just 1 leg at a time. Basically, find movements you can do that won't injure yourself more. Experiment with yoga positions that you can do. Anything that works your muscles is exercise. You can get your aerobics in just by moving your arms back and forth at a rapid rate or if your hernia can handle it, lay on the floor and put your legs above you and do bicycle movements with them. Or how about hopping on your good leg up and down on a mini trampoline or rebounder. Hang onto something for balance so you don't fall off. You can do it. The future is yours. Contact me if you want more info. I will help in anyway I can. The main thing that changed my life around was when I stopped listening to the majority of the health experts that told me that fat was a bad thing to eat and to eat healthy things like fruit, grain products, and dairy. That stuff was literally killing me at a fast pace.

You realize we're not all you (or just like you), right?

You realize that, in this neighborhood, "contact me if you want more info" is what people say when they're selling something, right?

I lost weight fine, have stayed at a healthy weight just fine for 5+ years (after 3 decades previously of obesity, a dozen years of which I was athletically very active), while eating close to 50% carbs. Some people will have your characteristics, and experiences. Some won't.
  • unevano
    unevano Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think I stated that in my message. I was describing my experience which took me much of my lifetime to learn. I am not selling anything but some people might like help without public eyes like yours critiquing everything they say. I am glad you figured it out but like you say, some people don't have your characteristics and experiences.