things to put in rice to make it less boring ?

Options
2»

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

and robin52077 i agree it tastes delicious with fried onions and sultanas i think theyre similar but softer ?

I just had to google sultanas as I never heard that term...
    I found this:

the grapes used for raisin production are the Thompson Seedless variety, which dry and darken in the sunlight, producing the common raisin. The same variety of grape, however, treated with sulphur dioxide and heated artificially stays lighter, moister, and plumper, and these are what are sold here as golden raisins or sultanas. Theoretically, sultanas are sweeter and less acid than other raisins.

So it's the same grape treated with sulphur dioxide to make it a sultana/golden raisin? Dang, I liked golden's but that sounds so....chemical...and I like to buy the "cleaner" versions of things so I'll stick with natural sun-dried raisins.....that's disappointing, I thought goldens just started out as lighter grapes...
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I LOVE making rice with soy sauce or tomatoes and putting shredded chicken (preferably from a cooked whole chicken) and black beans. It's so yummy if you let the chicken simmer in taco seasoning with a little bit of water!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Take a few minutes at the ethnic foods section at the grocery store. Check out some of the bottled sauces. My guy loves the Thai stuff...spicy peanut sauces, curry, sweet & sour, etc. A little goes a long way too! Just a teaspoon of the peanut sauce works for me mixed with rice, vegies and shrimp/chicken. I also put a dribble of imitation butter flavor or tobasco sauce in the water when I cook rice.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    mushrooms, carrots, peas, scrambles egg. Make your own "fried" rice. Peanuts, cashews, chickem, golden raisins....
  • noface
    Options
    i did consider all the nice jars of sauces you can buy, but the trouble is that like you said, you only need a little bit and because i'd only be cooking for myself, i dont know how long a sauce is good for once its been opened and i tend to chuck old half-full jars away so its a waste.. wish they did smaller containers of them.
    then again im too lazy to make my own sauces hah

bought some little prawns today so i reckon that'll be my first experiment :)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Rotel tomatoes
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey (low fat) and rice is very good. Add low fat cheese and/or tomatoes/tomato sauce if you like.
  • timeforme23
    Options
    siracha/hot sauce
    soy sauce
    black/red beans
    whip up some risotto which is super tasty

Im addicted to siracha sauce!! So good. Nice way to spice up chicken too