Food, As addicting as Heroin

Here we go again, Decades of fighting my weight and it is nothing more than an addiction. Some people at night drink alcohol or do whatever to unwind. Me, I eat, and I eat alot. That combinded with the last years shutdowns I am heavier at 342 than I have ever been.
The sad thing is, is that I understand my compulsive late night eating is an addiction and is wrong.
Lifestyle changes, that is what I MUST do.

Replies

• Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    I usually find there is a strong mental aspect to diets as well. Many times people will use food to comfort themselves or to fill some sort of void.
  • N0M0Y0Y0
    N0M0Y0Y0 Posts: 30 Member
    Damn!!! Bro. I couldn't have said it better myself!!!
    I feel like I am in recovery from food addiction. Still learning this app. Looking for supportive community/friends to keep me inspired. Have lost about 55lbs. Still got about 180lbs to go.
  • JoeMO
    JoeMO Posts: 524 Member
    I wish I had the perfect words for you. I agree with Thoin about the mental aspect. My recommendation, based purely on what has helped me, which you'll find throughout MFP is to journal or write down everything you eat or drink, start walking if you are able, get involved in a group or two for support, and the hardest of all, stick with it. Best of luck. I often refer to the "Success" page for inspiration and to see I'm not alone in my struggles.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    As an RN working in an addictions program, I can agree with you to some extent. I believe that I also have a food addiction that I have to work to overcome every single day. However, it some ways this addiction is worse. My patients with opiate use disorder (aka heroin or other opioid addiction), when successful, are able to move away from their use and hopefully never use again. We, on the other hand, require the substance to which we are addicted to survive. So unlike attaining abstinence from drug use we can only hope to manager our addiction, not remove the substance from our lives. I have been successful (down 135 lbs, 6.2 to go to goal) by diligently tracking my intake, making mostly healthy choices, and making a conscious effort to move my body every day. I expect this will be a lifelong struggle but I have hope that it will become easier over time.
  • DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    I can totally relate. I eat when I'm bored, or stressed, or whenever! I have all good intentions when I wake up every day--drink more water, eat less, move my *kitten* more, be more mindful and purposeful of what I am putting into my body to fuel my day--but I still find myself grazing all day on junk or just overeating in general. It's so frustrating-I KNOW what I need to do, but sometimes feel almost powerless to stick to it.