Muscle gain with fat loss Post Covid Sickness

I was looking for some guidance on how to really lose weight.

For reference im 6ft 3in and roughly 230lbs
Prior to my 21st birthday I began taking my health more serious. Eating better working out daily and cutting out drugs and alcohol. On my 21st I contracted corona virus and everything went down hill really fast. I was in and out of the hospital and found myself gaining weight after the early symptoms went away because i contracted some long term symptoms. My heart rate was extremely high as it would spike to 135 just walking up the stairs. Resting it would sit at high 70s low 80s. I got it checked out and no one could find an issue. Well now im almost back to normal and Im trying to work on myself.
My freshmen year of college instead of gaining the freshman 15 i lost 30lbs. It was in an unhealthy way (not eating) but it was due to my detest for the schools food. Then i was around 200lbs maybe less.

For sleep I usually dont sleep till 2-4am due to insomnia post covid. I wake up around 1:30pm (Im in college so its ok haha)

For food i usually skip breakfast since im up late and eat two meals a day. MY meals before were awful so its something im really trying to work on. Ive been adding my meals to myfitness pals and im extremely lacking in calories usally 500-1500 pre day. I eat alot of chicken but also carbs. For reference i shy away from alot of vegetables but ive been trying to eat the ones I do like. Im a broke college student too with limited access to cooking equipment, just a range.

For exercise Ive been boxing daily for an hour working on cardio mainly I have a bit of a gut from corona. Ive also been doing other cardio like crunches, planks, and some others. Im hoping to add some weights in, in the coming days.

If you have any recommendations for weight loss or my current plan please let me know!

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Glad you are feeling better. I also had a bout with COVID and it knocked me on my butt for about 1 month. Took about 2 months to be able to exercise again, and I still do not feel like jogging or super strenuous cardio would go over well, I get a tightening of my chest that scares me from pushing too hard.

Now about you.
    1. Get more consistency in your eating plan. Money or not, determine what caloric intake you need for your size, goals and activity level and start with that. Since you have already had bouts where you lost weight in an improper, unsustainable way...don't make that mistake again. Try to eat as close to that caloric goal as possible to help build patterns of consistency and habits. It might also help you to find some go-to foods that you enjoy and provide you with some nutrients to hit some macro goals.
    2. start weight training. If you do not have weight set, you can get a decent workout using body weight but eventually you will need to progressively start taxing your muscles. A few dumbbells will go a long way (although they are pretty expensive and hard to find right now!).
    3. Boxing is a great workout, might be worth adding something as easy as walking/jogging..at least as an alternative to boxing. Mix it up a bit. Boxing everyday can put some serious stress on shoulders/wrists and forearms. Recovery from that pounding is important, in particular if you are hitting a heavy bag.

Good luck.
  • brazzi556
    brazzi556 Posts: 6 Member
    Glad you are feeling better. I also had a bout with COVID and it knocked me on my butt for about 1 month. Took about 2 months to be able to exercise again, and I still do not feel like jogging or super strenuous cardio would go over well, I get a tightening of my chest that scares me from pushing too hard.

Now about you.
    1. Get more consistency in your eating plan. Money or not, determine what caloric intake you need for your size, goals and activity level and start with that. Since you have already had bouts where you lost weight in an improper, unsustainable way...don't make that mistake again. Try to eat as close to that caloric goal as possible to help build patterns of consistency and habits. It might also help you to find some go-to foods that you enjoy and provide you with some nutrients to hit some macro goals.
    2. start weight training. If you do not have weight set, you can get a decent workout using body weight but eventually you will need to progressively start taxing your muscles. A few dumbbells will go a long way (although they are pretty expensive and hard to find right now!).
    3. Boxing is a great workout, might be worth adding something as easy as walking/jogging..at least as an alternative to boxing. Mix it up a bit. Boxing everyday can put some serious stress on shoulders/wrists and forearms. Recovery from that pounding is important, in particular if you are hitting a heavy bag.

Good luck.

I just started getting back in the groove so im taking it easy which was boxing on a heavy bag. Luckily where i live we have a makeshift gym which im planning to definitely start using. Just wanted to get my body used to some activity. Im trying to work on cardio alot just in the beginning and then weight training. My diet i think is my biggest issue as its a struggle for me to reach my goals each day. Im hoping to just try to meal prep and eat basically the same thing every day. Boring and dull I know but makes it easier. Thanks for the help! Also for covid i have the same thing but its more related to my heart it almost flutters and feels like I cant breath, hence why i havent done any activity in a long time. Hope you feel better soon!
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    As you already do boxing what about taking up a martial art like Shotokan? I prefer traditional karate's but anything would probably assist you and reduce the toll of boxing without taking away any of the benefits, it's more all over body conditioning so you'll see gains in your boxing.