Post Corona Weight Loss

I was looking for some guidance on how to really lose weight.

For reference im 6ft 3in and roughly 230lbs
Prior to my 21st birthday I began taking my health more serious. Eating better working out daily and cutting out drugs and alcohol. On my 21st I contracted corona virus and everything went down hill really fast. I was in and out of the hospital and found myself gaining weight after the early symptoms went away because i contracted some long term symptoms. My heart rate was extremely high as it would spike to 135 just walking up the stairs. Resting it would sit at high 70s low 80s. I got it checked out and no one could find an issue. Well now im almost back to normal and Im trying to work on myself.
My freshmen year of college instead of gaining the freshman 15 i lost 30lbs. It was in an unhealthy way (not eating) but it was due to my detest for the schools food. Then i was around 200lbs maybe less.

For sleep I usually dont sleep till 2-4am due to insomnia post covid. I wake up around 1:30pm (Im in college so its ok haha)

For food i usually skip breakfast since im up late and eat two meals a day. MY meals before were awful so its something im really trying to work on. Ive been adding my meals to myfitness pals and im extremely lacking in calories usally 500-1500 pre day. I eat alot of chicken but also carbs. For reference i shy away from alot of vegetables but ive been trying to eat the ones I do like. Im a broke college student too with limited access to cooking equipment, just a range.

For exercise Ive been boxing daily for an hour working on cardio mainly I have a bit of a gut from corona. Ive also been doing other cardio like crunches, planks, and some others. Im hoping to add some weights in, in the coming days.

If you have any recomendations for weight loss or my current plan please let me know!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    are you weighing all your food on a scale?

What you eat or when is not important (to weight loss) but the calories ARE. I rarely eat breakfast and eat loads of carbs (well not loads, but they do make up about half my macros). i lost 130 pounds.

71it0m5oxjux.jpg
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited April 2021
    My #1 recommendation is EAT MORE.

You have to eat.

Have some pizza. Some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Ice cream. A bag of pistachios. Anything. Eat. I can't imagine that there is nothing in the commissary that you like. I guess if you have blood pressure issues ask a doctor or school nurse for a food plan...or is it just higher heart rate?

• brazzi556
    brazzi556 Posts: 6 Member
    Its just a high heart rate, its lower now and almost back to normal. I am eating just alot of protein but isnt the best way to lose weight is a calorie deficit?
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Do you like protein drinks? Some of them have "greens" in them. You need to up your calories and you need some quality in those calories. At your age and height, you should be consuming at least 2000 - 2200 calories per day for weight loss. Going too low for too long is a huge stress on your body, and your body has been stressed enough by covid recovery.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

You have to eat.

Have some pizza. Some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Ice cream. A bag of pistachios. Anything. Eat. I can't imagine that there is nothing in the commissary that you like. I guess if you have blood pressure issues ask a doctor or school nurse for a food plan...or is it just higher heart rate?

Read the OP's lifestyle. He needs nutrient dense sources of calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited April 2021
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

You have to eat.

He needs to eat.

He said he's eating chicken and vegetables. There's nothing wrong with pizza or anything he'll eat. 500 calories-1500 is definitely not enough.

Are you going to offer any help to him or just pick apart my post?

I can read.
  • Theoldguy1

You have to eat.

He needs to eat.

I can read.

Not very closely apparently.

From the OP:

For reference I'm 6ft 3in and roughly 230lbs, with a bit of a gut - High end of overweight

I usually dont sleep till 2-4am due to insomnia post covid. I wake up around 1:30pm (Im in college so its ok haha) - Poor sleep habits

For reference i shy away from alot of vegetables - needing 6-7 servings

Ive been adding my meals to myfitness pals and im extremely lacking in calories usally 500-1500 pre day - No indication how he knows, like if he's measuring items. Since he's asking, assuming he's not losing weight the way he's eating.

For the OP:

How much do you want to weigh?
    1. Find out the root cause of your insomnia. Poor sleep with impact your heath and your studies
    2. Measure your food
    3. Eat a well balanced diet, 150-200G of protein, 6-7 servings of veggies (learn to eat like a healthy adult). Fill in your remaining calories with mainly nutrient dense carbs and fats with maybe 20% or so of you daily calories from whatever.
    4. If you can, do some resistance training. The boxing isn't bad for cardio, depending on the intensity level, but as someone said it could be rough on your shoulders if doing too much

Best of luck
  • brazzi556

You have to eat.

He needs to eat.

I can read.

From the OP:

For reference I'm 6ft 3in and roughly 230lbs, with a bit of a gut - High end of overweight

I usually dont sleep till 2-4am due to insomnia post covid. I wake up around 1:30pm (Im in college so its ok haha) - Poor sleep habits

Ive been adding my meals to myfitness pals and im extremely lacking in calories usally 500-1500 pre day - No indication how he knows, like if he's measuring items. Since he's asking, assuming he's not losing weight the way he's eating.

For the OP:

1. Find out the root cause of your insomnia. Poor sleep with impact your heath and your studies
    2. Measure your food
    3. Eat a well balanced diet, 150-200G of protein, 6-7 servings of veggies (learn to eat like a healthy adult). Fill in your remaining calories with mainly nutrient dense carbs and fats with maybe 20% or so of you daily calories from whatever.
    4. If you can, do some resistance training. The boxing isn't bad for cardio, depending on the intensity level, but as someone said it could be rough on your shoulders if doing too much

Best of luck

I totally get what you are saying. The insomnia is just a result of the covid and the long term effects from it. I started boxing when i was young as a workout (with a trainer) so i know what im doing there without hurting myself while also keeping a high intensity. Diet is my main focus right as I know i can workout and what to do. Ive been forcing myself to eat vegtables like spinach and kale but i still dont think im getting enough. My current diet is super protein focused. I have limited access to any cooking equipment literally just a range. Im trying to make do with what I have. Ive been tracking what ive been eating through apps and other ways but have not been specifically measuring each item, so a scale will be my next investment. I just started trying to lose weight a week ago and have had some success. So i wouldnt say my current plan isnt working at all I just want to improve it as much as possible. Thank you for the input its helpful!
  • brazzi556
    Do you like protein drinks? Some of them have "greens" in them. You need to up your calories and you need some quality in those calories. At your age and height, you should be consuming at least 2000 - 2200 calories per day for weight loss. Going too low for too long is a huge stress on your body, and your body has been stressed enough by covid recovery.

Ill have to look into ones with greens in them. I can tolerate them and just force them down so not a big deal. You are probably right about the covid recovery and my body being stressed im currently consuming 1600 calories a day so im going to try to really focus on my diet.
  • Theoldguy1
    brazzi556 wrote: »

You have to eat.

He needs to eat.

I can read.

From the OP:

For the OP:

2. Measure your food

Best of luck

I totally get what you are saying. The insomnia is just a result of the covid and the long term effects from it. I started boxing when i was young as a workout (with a trainer) so i know what im doing there without hurting myself while also keeping a high intensity. Diet is my main focus right as I know i can workout and what to do. Ive been forcing myself to eat vegtables like spinach and kale but i still dont think im getting enough. My current diet is super protein focused. I have limited access to any cooking equipment literally just a range. Im trying to make do with what I have. Ive been tracking what ive been eating through apps and other ways but have not been specifically measuring each item, so a scale will be my next investment. I just started trying to lose weight a week ago and have had some success. So i wouldnt say my current plan isnt working at all I just want to improve it as much as possible. Thank you for the input its helpful!

Our daughter has had some of the post covid heart racing, etc you describe. It can be scary and anxiety from it may be contributing to your insomnia. If you haven't already get checked out by a doctor or staff at your school's medical service. Our daughter did this and found it to be reassuring and helped with her anxiety, allowing her to sleep better. Also check out sleep hygiene resources for tips on getting a good night's sleep.

Without any more specifics, given at 6'3" your probably not looking to lose a bunch of weight, maybe 20 pounds or so, I'd look at reducing your intake maybe 250-500 calories a day off what you are burning. There are numerous calculators to help you get a rough idea. This will get you around .5-1.0 lb per week of weight loss.

For food, as I mentioned, most reasonable guidelines will suggest 80% of so of your calories from nutrient dense foods, the other 20% from whatever. The CDC suggests 15-40% of calories from protein. Many people trying to lose weight and/or build muscle will be in the high 20s%+ range. If you like eggs, work on your omelet making skills. You can throw all kinds of veggies in there, maybe a bit of bacon or sausage. The eggs, seasoned meat and a bit of your favorite hot sauce will mask the flavor of veggies you haven't developed a real strong taste for at this point.

This article give a nice list of foods for an athlete or really anyone looking for a generally balanced diet. When it comes down to it, most are pretty easy to prepare with a typical range

https://www.lancastergeneralhealth.org/health-hub-home/2020/march/what-athletes-should-eat-back-to-the-basic-food-groups

dhmzt4jad7ys.png