Salmon nutrition - so many options

Hi! I’ve bought some fresh salmon fillets from the farmer’s market. I want to know the nutritional information for 100g raw salmon, but there’s way too many options on the MFP app! The nutritional info varies wildly. How many calories are in 100g raw salmon? I will poach it.

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Poached Salmon is a good example of a food that should be weighed and logged cooked. It is laden with oil that renders out in poaching (at 9 calories per gram more or less) and that is why poached salmon has less calories than other preparation choices.

Here is some poached salmon and shrimp I had for dinner.

oy89u7dc2xcc.jpg
  • formein2015
    formein2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Are there different ways to poach salmon? I had done it before, so I just cooked it in water and added a tiny bit of pink Himalayan salt, lemon juice and some fresh dill from my garden after I plated it. Did I do it wrong? For nutritional information, I followed the USDA website as well.
  • wilson10102018
    edited April 2021
    Are there different ways to poach salmon? I had done it before, so I just cooked it in water and added a tiny bit of pink Himalayan salt, lemon juice and some fresh dill from my garden after I plated it. Did I do it wrong? For nutritional information, I followed the USDA website as well.

I have found that poaching seafood works well with the smallest amount of liquid possible. Some people steam the fish in a 1/4" of water, with a dash of red wine vinegar. I don't cook with wine. And, I don't steam, just heat up the water, barely coverings the fish tightly packed in the saucepan slowly. I do add Better Than Bouillon Lobster Base to the water and usually dill or tarragon a pinch of salt (Maldon is my favorite). Drizzle capers on after as in the photo above. Complex poaching liquids do impose on the natural flavor of the fish. I would not use Lobster Base on delicate species like Sea Bass or Grouper. But, Salmon and cod have plenty of stamina.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    It depends on the type of salmon. Atlantic is much more different than a sockeye for example.
  • wilson10102018
    psuLemon wrote: »
    It depends on the type of salmon. Atlantic is much more different than a sockeye for example.

They taste different. What else of significance?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Hi! I’ve bought some fresh salmon fillets from the farmer’s market. I want to know the nutritional information for 100g raw salmon, but there’s way too many options on the MFP app! The nutritional info varies wildly. How many calories are in 100g raw salmon? I will poach it.

Tag your database search with USDA and compare to the USDA website. Also, select the type of salmon you're eating for the most accurate figures. The biggest difference here will be farmed vs. fresh as farmed (usually Atlantic Salmon) will have a higher fat and calorie content for the same amount...ie 3 oz of farmed Atlantic will have around 175 calories vs 3 oz of fresh Sockeye with around 130 calories...not huge, but it's there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

They have different calories.
  • wilson10102018
    edited April 2021

They have different calories.

As between sockeye and Atlantic the difference is not significant. Less than the difference in apple varieties. Maybe 1.7 cal/g instead of 1.8 cal/g.

But, of course, sockeye is tastier IMO.