We're going gluten-free as of tonight, I have some ??'s....

Options
My husband has Ulcerative Colitis, and we're both pretty much Lactose Intolerant. Recently, I've been researching more and more about wheat and gluten, ordered the book "Wheat Belly," and we decided that we are goiong to try to go gluten-free for a while to see how it makes us feel. Coincidentally, he has a fiollow-up appointment with his gastroenterologist this afternoon (he's prrobably on his way there right now), where he's going to talk to the doctor about gluten-free eating, getting tested for wheat sensitivity/allergies, and also about the fact that one of the ingredients in his colitis medicine has Lactose in it (seems a little twisted, right?).

Anyways, after the appointment -- tonight we will be hitting the grocery stores to buy some ingredietns and test out a few gluten-free bread recipes that I've gathered from the Interwebs (bread and pasta are the only things he is concerned about missing out on).

I had a few questions about flour substitutions and other ingredients that I am seeing in many of these recipes:

1. Xanthan Gum -- What is it and why do I need it in my bread recipes? Where does it come from/how is it made? What's in it? Is it considered a processed food? What does it do for the recipe? What will happen if I don't use it?

2. Corn Starch, Potato Starch, other Starches -- why are they in these recipes?

3. Why not just ground up some gluten-free whole oats and use that in the place of flour? Or use any of the other gluten-free flours (such as brown rice flour, sorghum flour, garfava flour) 1:1 in "regular" bread recipes?

4. When substituting the various kinds of gluten-free flours in various recipes (not just bread) for regular wheat flours, is a 1:1 ratio generally the rule?

Thank you, everyone, in advance!! :flowerforyou:

(Edited for clarity and spelling.)

Replies

• heatherdoll40
    heatherdoll40 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My aunt and cousin are glueten free, and talked my mom into trying it. She told me about a web site elena's pantry. you should find some of what you need there along with good recipes.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I find it easier just to give up grains as a whole and stick with fats, protein, vegetables and fruits with being gluten and lactose intolerant.
  • mehmig
    mehmig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband has Ulcerative Colitis, and we're both pretty much Lactose Intolerant. Recently, I've been researching more and more about wheat and gluten, ordered the book "Wheat Belly," and we decided that we are goiong to try to go gluten-free for a while to see how it makes us feel. Coincidentally, he has a fiollow-up appointment with his gastroenterologist this afternoon (he's prrobably on his way there right now), where he's going to talk to the doctor about gluten-free eating, getting tested for wheat sensitivity/allergies, and also about the fact that one of the ingredients in his colitis medicine has Lactose in it (seems a little twisted, right?).

Anyways, after the appointment -- tonight we will be hitting the grocery stores to buy some ingredietns and test out a few gluten-free bread recipes that I've gathered from the Interwebs (bread and pasta are the only things he is concerned about missing out on).

I had a few questions about flour substitutions and other ingredients that I am seeing in many of these recipes:

1. Xanthan Gum -- What is it and why do I need it in my bread recipes? Where does it come from/how is it made? What's in it? Is it considered a processed food? What does it do for the recipe? What will happen if I don't use it? Can't remember where it comes from, but it adds elasticity which gluten free flours do not have. Gluten causes elasticity in bread products. So you need this to make the right texture.

2. Corn Starch, Potato Starch, other Starches -- why are they in these recipes? These are also in for texture. A bread made from just one of these flours will not taste good and will not be close to regular bread. You need the right mix of flours to mimic wheat flour

3. Why not just ground up some gluten-free whole oats and use that in the place of flour? Or use any of the other gluten-free flours (such as brown rice flour, sorghum flour, garfava flour) 1:1 in "regular" bread recipes? See above. They just don't work. Will be crumbly, dry, taste weird, have wrong texture, etc.

4. When substituting the various kinds of gluten-free flours in various recipes (not just bread) for regulsr wheeat flours, is a 1:1 ratio generally the rule? No. There are pre made flour blends where this is the rule. Example is Better Batter, that is a one to one ration flour substitute. They did the mixing for you?

Thank you, everyone, in advance!! :flowerforyou:

(Edited for clarity and spelling.)

I answered in the quotes. Hope this helps. We are GF and had also been dairy/casein free for a long time too. I know all the tricks/rules.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I'm new to gluten free diet. My doctor told me to eat qunioa in the morning for breakfast. Well it can be used for any meal.... but its a grain that's gluten free, it's really easy to digest, and it's really, really good for you. (Better than whole wheat.) You cook it like oatmeal. And it puffs up 4 times the size. It takes a bit of time to cook, but you can cook more that one serving at a time and keep it in the fridge for a few days. For sandwiches my Doctor recommends that I use either corn or rice wraps instead of bread.

I'm also dairy free. So my doctor said to drink Almond Milk. It has more calcium than cow's milk, it's sugar free yet it tastes sweet, and it's real yummy. Can't beat that! :drinker:
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone -- I am thankful for all the replies and the interest in helping us with gluten-free in general. But (as one person alluded to) we are not interested in totally giving up grains, nor (as another implied) are we having any difficulty finding the ingredients we need for gluten-free recipes, though I do appreciate the suggestions. We also know about all the alternatives and substitutions (quinoa, etc.) that there are for wheat/flour.

What we are really looking to find out are the very specific topical questions that I originally posted re: bread recipes and flour substitutions. My husband really wants to still be able to eat sandwiches on bread (not wraps, etc. - which I am totally cool with myself), and he wants to be able to eat pasta (although we do that very seldomly nowadays anyway).

Thanks so much, you wonderful bunch of giving and helpful people. :blushing:
  • JeanneCameron
    Options
    Simplified Answers to your questions. Gluten intolerance is also known as Celiac Disease. Go to celiac.org for a lot of information.
    1. Xanthum Gum - Gluten is the protein that is the binding agent in breads etc. Xanthum Gum is the replacement for this when using gluten-free flour replacements.
    2. Starches - Once again these are thickening agents that most people would use flour for in a recipe but are unable to now.
    3. Oats - There are gluten free oats but oats is one of those iffy things that some Celiac's still can't eat even when they are made in a gluten free environment.
    4. Experimenting on your own turns out to be the best option. Following recipes is always of course the most fool proof.

Gluten free is very difficult as they are in spices, dressings etc and goes by many different ingredient names and a lot of times never listed. If you have a Trader Joe's near you this is a great, less expensive place to shop and they have a continually updated gluten free shopping list.

Hope this helps
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I make quite a bit of bread using recipes already tested...someone else did all the testing I just benefitted. Some will tell you you can sub one flour for another but it isn't that simple. So I just stick to tried and true recipes.

As for pastas I like Tinkyada brown rice spaghetti style pasta and ancient organic's quinoa pasta. For some other shapes I use Orgran brand rice and millet pasta.

For things that need "all-purpose" flour I like to keep King Arthur's gluten free on hand especially good for days when I don't have any already mixed...saves time.
  • therobinator
    Options
    I make quite a bit of bread using recipes already tested...someone else did all the testing I just benefitted. Some will tell you you can sub one flour for another but it isn't that simple. So I just stick to tried and true recipes.

As for pastas I like Tinkyada brown rice spaghetti style pasta and ancient organic's quinoa pasta. For some other shapes I use Orgran brand rice and millet pasta.

For things that need "all-purpose" flour I like to keep King Arthur's gluten free on hand especially good for days when I don't have any already mixed...saves time.
    Okay, total DUH on me. I never even though to look and see if a company like King Arthur made a gluten-free flour. I figured it had to be more complicated that that. Really, truly, I am not being snarky or sarcastic by saying this. I guess I'll grab a bag of that at the supermarket tonight, too. Although, it looks to be pretty expensive - I wonder if King Arthur or the "specialty" brands will be cheapr -- will have to see tonight. Thanks!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Why do people always do this? Follow Grokette. Stop trying to replicate junk with more junk and just eat fruit, veg, meat, fish and nuts.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I find it to be a bit more expensive than mixing your own but then the cost of having all those different things can be a bit over the top to start with.

Also wanted to let you know the brand Glutino has quite a few snack items...my biggest thing to miss when first going G-F. Thet have crackers and pretzels that are quite tasty.
  • therobinator
    Options
    Post deleted. I am choosing not to be rude....