Question about MapMyWalk / MFP Sync

Options
lgfrie
lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
edited April 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Been using MapMyWalk for my daily 3 mile walks. A nice feature is the auto-sync with MFP, since both companies are under the UA umbrella. However, the calorie estimate is driving me crazy. It's giving me ~ 450 for a 50-55 minute walk, which is absurd. I can't find any way to reduce it. I can turn off the sync, but I WANT the sync, just with a sane number. Anyone know how to modify things so the calorie estimate comes out more reasonable? I can't find it anywhere.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    the Map My apps are known to show super inflated calorie burns. You also want net calories and not gross calories transferred. Net calories are the exercise calories minus the calories you burn anyway if did you did nothing. I think the Map My apps show, and might even transfer gross calories. What calorie count do you get if you use 0.3 * weight in lbs * 3 miles? It might be a bit more than that, but it's probably a bit closer than what this app is showing.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    the Map My apps are known to show super inflated calorie burns. You also want net calories and not gross calories transferred. Net calories are the exercise calories minus the calories you burn anyway if did you did nothing. I think the Map My apps show, and might even transfer gross calories. What calorie count do you get if you use 0.3 * weight in lbs * 3 miles? It might be a bit more than that, but it's probably a bit closer than what this app is showing.

Yes I am a fan of that net calorie formula, although I prefer to use a 0.35 coefficient, which would yield 241 for 3 miles. I just can't find any functionality in the app to knock it down from inflated Gross calories, to a reasonable net-based 240-ish. I do truly love the app above other walking/running apps except for that one issue. Its other functionality suits me perfectly.
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I usually deduct 30% to get closer to reality from mapmywalk estimates. Easy solution, use the quick add cal to compensate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Could you update your settings in MapMyWalk to reduce your weight by abut 40% and see if that gets you in the ballpark?

(I did a similar trick to calibrate a HRM against a cycling power meter for steady state cardio.)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

Yes I am a fan of that net calorie formula, although I prefer to use a 0.35 coefficient, which would yield 241 for 3 miles. I just can't find any functionality in the app to knock it down from inflated Gross calories, to a reasonable net-based 240-ish. I do truly love the app above other walking/running apps except for that one issue. Its other functionality suits me perfectly.

I made custom exercise entries for walking and running. They work reasonably well, regardless of what my weight is because they get adjusted with weight. And if they're too much off then I log a time that gives me a calorie amount fitting to above equation (note: I also have my own multiplier and don't use 0,3), or make a new entry. I also have such custom entries for cycling and inline skating.