Post Covid

Hi there. I had Covid in December. I wanted to come on here and ask the community if anyone is struggling after Covid. With healthy eating, exercise & supplements I’m gaining about 5 pounds a month. This is not normal & it’s started to worry me. Any insight would be helpful

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2021
    You say you're eating "healthy", but what does that mean to you? "Healthy" eating is not required for weight loss, but being in a calorie deficit is. How many calories are you eating and what is your calorie goal? Were you losing weight prior to COVID as well? How much do you have to lose? How are you determining your serving sizes? It can be very easy to be overeating if you're just guesstimating portion sizes or using measuring cups.
  • Zimm7
    Zimm7 Posts: 44 Member
    If you're gaining 5lbs per month, you are in a calorie surplus. Take a good look at your calorie intake.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Covid from has nothing to due with your weight gain unless you are emotional eating due to some stress from the illness.

I personally had Covid, maybe lost a pound or so when I had it because I didn't feel like eating but that's the only change.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Have you felt fatigued since being ill? Had sleep issues? Depression?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    My weights been going up and down the same few pounds since I had covid in december

I think for me it's the fatigue. I'm so sluggish my exercise is no where near my usual amount which is putting me near maintenance since I havnt dropped my calories

My doctor took bloods yesterday which have been flagged so I have to go for a chat with my doctor to see what's wrong

If you have low iron let me know - I can expound on that at length ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    cmbdlh wrote: »
    Hi there. I had Covid in December. I wanted to come on here and ask the community if anyone is struggling after Covid. With healthy eating, exercise & supplements I’m gaining about 5 pounds a month. This is not normal & it’s started to worry me. Any insight would be helpful

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited April 2021
    I don’t have personal experience, but my friend who had covid For a looong time gained weight after. She went from 3 jobs pre-covid to working from home in her pajamas post covid. She went from normal eating pre covid to barely eating during during covid to “I want it all” post covid. She went from no formal exercise but lots of running around pre covid to grocery shopping is a big event post covid.
    I’m sure you haven’t changed your habits as much as she did, but have you changed them?
    ETA you said you’re exercising, but what about moving outside formal exercise?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I recommitted to fitness Jan 1st (the typical...this is the year thing!), I was doing great and lost about 8lbs.

I caught Covid in late January, my symptoms were not 'critical' but definitely ran the gambit from extreme fatigue, muscle soreness, no appetite, confusion, coughing, breathing difficulty. I lost about 5 lbs during the 3 weeks of 'isolation' and being away from work and routine. Lack of appetite, despite being bedridden caused me to eat very little throughout the day.

My experience has been that it took nearly a month to see any progress again (in terms of weight loss) as the scale barely budged despite consistent efforts and dedication. Finally a few weeks ago the scale started to move again and I appear to be losing at the same rate I was pre-covid. I figure my body just had so much internal work to do, that it was holding on to a lot of weight.

the only lingering effort would be tightness in the chest when I breathe deeply so I haven't felt safe to do any strenuous cardio and am sticking to walking, cycling and using an elliptical trainer (but not pushing super hard). My strength has returned and I am able to push really hard with my weight training.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My weights been going up and down the same few pounds since I had covid in december

I think for me it's the fatigue. I'm so sluggish my exercise is no where near my usual amount which is putting me near maintenance since I havnt dropped my calories

My doctor took bloods yesterday which have been flagged so I have to go for a chat with my doctor to see what's wrong

If you have low iron let me know - I can expound on that at length ;)

My last lot of bloods were deficiencies in vitamin D, calcium and iron
    I'm not sure I want to know what's gone south now 😂