Month to month, what food/beverage products do you tend to spend the most on?

Options
Me: cheeses, frozen shrimp, starbucks and diet soda.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Fish, other meat (I'm picky about sourcing), cheese. It's not the majority of what I eat, just the most expensive stuff I don't use super slowly (and distorted by the fact I recently bought a bunch of farmer's market cheese, that one might not be true monthly). I should actually keep track of food expenditures, but this is a pretty good guess.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I spend the most on seafood, spices and vegetables.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, meat, and specialty treats
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens, tofu, broccoli, Almond milk, meyer lemons and other vegetables
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    We buy a lot of produce and staple items (beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc) but I spend quite a bit on fllavored Perrier & other sparkling water, Greek yogurt, Morningstar Farms frozen foods, and craft beer.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Fresh produce, meat, and seafood
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Probably coffee K-pods, meat and seafood are the most expensive but I usually buy them in bulk and/or on sale. The fresh produce I buy is far cheaper in comparison.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Coffee and tea (I buy fair trade/organic stuff and that can be pricy); vegetables (I eat A LOT of veggies ha); mushrooms; supplements/adaptogens
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Produce for sure. I buys a lot of fruits and vegetables, also occasional eggs, shrimp, wild salmon.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Fresh fish and cheeses (those produced here in Italy and protected from their origins--the good stuff).
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    I think it is time for me to get to sleep.... I read "Mouth to Mouth" NOT Month to Month. Lovely, now I'm laughing like crazy. Sorry, folks🤣🤣
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've got 4 boys 17, 16, 12, 11 so I spend a lot on everything!! ... but meat - always the meat!🤣🤑🥴
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Coke zero
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    I have no idea as i only add 'groceries, edible things' 9and other expenditures of course) to my bookkeeping. I don't think I could even estimate that.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I have no idea as i only add 'groceries, edible things' 9and other expenditures of course) to my bookkeeping. I don't think I could even estimate that.

Same here. I have two lines in my budget actually for groceries - some to spend as needed and then money I set aside every month for bulk food purchases, which is how our family buys most meat, dairy, eggs, grains, and produce. So a couple times per year I dump several hundred dollars at once, but I'm prepaying (like for our CSA) or getting meat to fill our chest freezer that I expect to last for a year.

Our "to spend as needed" grocery money also includes non food consumables, like diapers, any paper products, or household cleaning supplies too.

The highest dollar amount is probably for meat simply because it's the most expensive thing, but I'm pretty sure we consume less meat than the typical American household (at least per person.)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Fresh produce-- and more specifically King Trumpet mushrooms and specialty cooking greens from my favorite Asian grocery.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Gluten- and dairy-free products for my husband.

He discovered that avoiding both solved a lot of his stomach problems, so he tries to avoid them.
    But, he doesn't want to give up ANY of the foods he likes to eat, so that leaves me with buying GF bread, GF pancakes, GF cookies, GF pasta, almond milk, dairy-free ice cream, etc.

This stuff can be 3 or 4 times more expensive than their "regular" counterparts.
    Yesssss, I know I could make some of this stuff, but I really don't have the time or patience, and he likes the packaged stuff anyways.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Produce, gum, truvia and stevia, jordans skinny salted caramel syrup, pili nuts
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    @SuzySunshine99 I both make and buy pre-made GF baked goodies for my husband. Even from scratch, GF is more expensive. I have well over a half dozen of various GF flours in my freezer. Another downside of baking GF from scratch is that many GF recipes for baked items are more time-consuming with both wait times (to let something set) and needing to whip and fold in egg whites.
  • delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Fish, wine, fancy cheese and Marmite crunchy peanut butter.